R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed3.5 Ecoboost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3.5 Ecoboost
    Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:02am
I have friends with both the 3.5 and 5.0. They both tow very well, both towing 5,000lb trailers.

Truthfully.. I would get the 5.0. The thing just sounds awesome. And I like V8's.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 10:53am
Since were talking pods, and weights under 5,000 the new Ford Ranger should be very much an active player in this conversation I would think. I am guessing it has an ecoboost engine as well.  It has a 7,000 tow cap. same as an f150 XLT i've been told. It's still pretty pricey but probably save several thousand.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Since were talking pods, and weights under 5,000 the new Ford Ranger should be very much an active player in this conversation I would think. I am guessing it has an ecoboost engine as well.  It has a 7,000 tow cap. same as an f150 XLT i've been told. It's still pretty pricey but probably save several thousand. 
That's true. It's a 4-banger EcoBoost. As is true for all EcoBoost engines, it has lots of torque available at low RPM. If the shear size of the F-150 is an issue, the Ranger and most of its competitors (Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, Canyon) would be roughly equivalent.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 5:45am
Thank you all for responding.  Just recently pulled the trigger on a 2017 F-150 SuperCrew 4 WD with the 3.5 Ecoboost.  Stats look pretty impressive 375 HP and 470 ft. lbs. of torque.  The only negative that I got out of this was that I had a 36 gallon tank in the '11 F-150, this one only has a 23 gallon tank.  Had to get rid of the '11 F-150 as I was having issues with oil consumption.  On our trip out west I averaged 1 quart of synthetic 5w-30 per 1000 miles.  I ended up using 6 quarts of oil.  Also was having issues with banging tappets for the first 5 minutes upon starting.  Had some engine work done already but the oil consumption problem continued.  The 5.0 Coyote had a lot of power pulling our 177, even in the mountains but with only 130 K miles on it, and with those issues I felt better upgrading.  The big plus was the dealership messed up on their posted price - I purchased it for $ 4000. less than what they planned on selling it for - apparently the person who does all the internet pics and prices entered the selling price wrong, bad for them, good for meBig smile

I won't be able to report how well this does for mileage until next spring as our 177 is on the back 20 in hibernation mode but I can report that on my last trip to Grand Rapids and back I was able to average 20.3 mpg cruising at 78 mph.  Speed limit in Michigan expressways is 75, most go 85 or faster.  At 78 I feel bad getting passed by pink and purple haired little ladies in their Cadillacs but that is the way it is.  I rather get to my destination in 1 piece and with all the numerous deer collisions I have had in the past, feel safer at this speed.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123