FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer and TOW length

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer and TOW length
    Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

There are occasionally vehicle/trailer combo length limits.  Getting in to  Chisos Basin at Big Bend, they recommend a limit of 35', I think.  I don't know if they enforce it, but you will be very frustrated and will annoy a lot of people if you try to exceed it by much.  One of the main roads through Zion has a combo limit.  The Road to the Sun in Glacier NP has a combo limit of 20 feet (which seems like a odd way to say trailers not permitted.  There are great campgrounds on either end though. 
We have commented on the Glacier/Going to the Sun Road when we were there. As it happens, our F-150 is 20' plus 4", so theoretically would not be allowed through WITHOUT a trailer. Maybe they don't measure it all that closely, but it could make for some interesting workarounds to get to the other side.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

We have commented on the Glacier/Going to the Sun Road when we were there. As it happens, our F-150 is 20' plus 4", so theoretically would not be allowed through WITHOUT a trailer. Maybe they don't measure it all that closely, but it could make for some interesting workarounds to get to the other side.

It's been a few years, but I seem to recall why they have the restriction.  There are some pretty tight turns, on inclines, that would be very hazardous for the driver as well as other traffic.  I suspect they enforce the spirit of the law more than the letter.  (Your 4" probably wouldn't get you pulled over.)

I can't help but wonder how many vehicles with trailers use the road because they are under 20' total.  A SmartCar pulling a tiny teardrop?  Maybe a motorcycle with a trailer. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 12:56pm
Greetings:
I MN where I live, some of the parks are modifying camp sites for longer units.  You don't usually find folks with large 5th wheelers or trailers at state and national parks.  They tend to go to full service private campgrounds with 50amp outlets, water and sewer.  This fall, I had fun watching someone with a new large motorhome park in a tight spot at a State park. He did manage it after a number of tries.  
At the Devils tower, they have a large parking area, before the drive up.  You can drop your RV there.  Yet some folks drive them up. 

Crankster78  
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

It's been a few years, but I seem to recall why they have the restriction.  There are some pretty tight turns, on inclines, that would be very hazardous for the driver as well as other traffic.  I suspect they enforce the spirit of the law more than the letter.  (Your 4" probably wouldn't get you pulled over.) 
Yah. I was a little bit tongue in cheek there, but I was kind of curious how "by the book" they might be with naturally longer vehicles. Come to think of it, the F-150 actually makes 21' if I leave the WDH receiver in.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12