Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camp Grounds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrailer and TOW length

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer and TOW length
    Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:19am
As a prelude to making a decision on a R POD I have started looking into places I would like to camp. After looking at National Parks and State Parks I noticed that there are restrictions on trailer and tow vehicle length. I was wondering if this was an impediment to camping at National Parks and State Parks?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:37am
Should not be a big deal for an RPod. Even the biggest RPods are not of such a size as to exceed any restrictions I have seen. That would apply to the big 5th wheel rigs and the huge motor homes. The RPods are Lilliputian in comparison to those Brobdingnagian rigs.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 8:46am
There will be a small number of state and national parks/forest campgrounds that you can't get into with an rPod. There might be more that have undeveloped access roads that might make you think twice too.  If you have any destinations you specifically want to be able to visit and are unsure about you can look online or call and be sure you'll be Ok before you buy. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:04am
Thank you for that clarification. I should have qualified my statement with any park with paved roads should not be an issue. As for unpaved, none of the RPods are really suited for off-road. The No Boundaries (NO-BO) line is better suited for that.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
I, much like others here, mainly boondock off the beaten path. 

In most everywhere I have been, only a couple times I couldn't stay where I hoped to. For the most part the National Parks have been fine. I wanted to stay in the tent camping area at one (which I typically go for), but the road was too narrow and curved to negotiate. Two places on BLM land were just too rough and the same for an area at the North Rim in the National Forest. Pretty much just common sense.

I've been in a few areas that I couldn't get the Truck and Camper in together, well, nicely.. Yet in. The rPod will go where basically any other 'commercial' trailer will go. I don't consider the 'real' Overlanders as commercial, though they are becoming more popular. 

My next trailer will be a true Overlander and I will build it. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:58am
20' is a pretty standard minimum length for camper spots almost everywhere. The 195 and others of that length slightly exceed 20', but none of the other Pods do.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:44am
We never found a spot we couldn't get the 177 into.. approach and entrance roads that were crap was an issue a couple times. Most parks have at least a couple sites where the Pod fit fine, (but may not be available for the dates you want.. etc etc) though a couple times parking the truck was an issue, and we ended up with it in overflow parking or something. We also used a tent site more then once.

Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:09pm
There are occasionally vehicle/trailer combo length limits.  Getting in to  Chisos Basin at Big Bend, they recommend a limit of 35', I think.  I don't know if they enforce it, but you will be very frustrated and will annoy a lot of people if you try to exceed it by much.  One of the main roads through Zion has a combo limit.  The Road to the Sun in Glacier NP has a combo limit of 20 feet (which seems like a odd way to say trailers not permitted.  There are great campgrounds on either end though.

These are the ones I know about.  I'm assuming you're asking about road restrictions, rather than camping spots to back into.  And I'm not talking about back roads at all, which should almost always be avoided with an RPod.  (The definition of "back road" is subject to discussion.)

Check websites or call before planning a visit if you have any doubts.  I've never had much trouble.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:30pm
The Road to the Sun length limit is on all vehicles or combos.  At 29 foot bus won't do.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

These are the ones I know about.  I'm assuming you're asking about road restrictions, rather than camping spots to back into.  And I'm not talking about back roads at all, which should almost always be avoided with an RPod.  (The definition of "back road" is subject to discussion.)

TT

That's where my statement of 'common sense' comes in. I will say many a class 6 dirt road has been nicer than several of the major highways I've traveled, though at reduced speeds. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>