R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbike rack on front of tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: bike rack on front of tow vehicle
    Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 12:00pm
We would like to take bikes with us but have been uncomfortable with a bike rack on the back of the Pod.  So, I'm thinking of having a hitch installed on the front of the truck so I can use a rack in front.  Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:36pm
I have used front hitches for years. Mounted various items on them, and primarily use them to move my Pod around the place, much easier than the rear hitch method. Highly recommend.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:55pm
It'll mess with the aerodynamics somewhat, which probably would only be an issue in strong, gusty winds. You can buy a bike rack that mounts on the tongue of the trailer; several Pod'ers have them.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:05pm
Bum, I would ask you "splain" how a bicycle effected aerodynamics. I've seen a ton of uses for front hitches including heavy duty bumpers, winches, fishing holders, even a deer stand.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 6:34pm
I use a rack on my front receiver.  It's great except sometimes in the dark.  Between lights reflecting back at me off the bikes and the same light not illuminating the road for me it's barely doable at night.  It's not as much of an issue in the summer but I avoid bikes on the front as much as I can on winter nights.  I have a big fat tire e-bike that weighs 70 pounds.  For a "normal" bike it wouldn't be as bad.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 10:16pm
Bikes on the front would most certainly mess with the aerodynamics. Especially on newer vehicles that use air dams and other tricks to smooth things over. OTOH, it can't be worse than pulling a travel trailer.

We put our bikes in the back of the truck and close/lock the tonneau cover. There is a ton of space back there.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:31am
We came across another couple on our last adventure across Canada and I liked what they did to carry their bikes. He also had a pair of kayaks on the setup. Home-build and done very well.

Theirs was on a full size P/U and I drew it to fit my Tacoma and see what was possible. They also had a tonneau cover (trip-fold much like mine) And it opened with all in place. I drew mine slanted and believe I may just have to go straight up (like they did). It just looks better slanted... Oh well..

Just another idea.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:25am
We have had a rack on front for years and driving at night is definitely an issue due to reflection and reduced light.  I plan to add a set of auxiliary driving lights strategically placed so as to not reflect off the rims and frames.  I also pull the bike seat on the drivers side to aid in visibility. 

We are looking at the tongue mount racks but probably not till we move to lithium batteries.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:58am
Can you put the bikes inside the pod for travel?
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by mcarter

Bum, I would ask you "splain" how a bicycle effected aerodynamics. I've seen a ton of uses for front hitches including heavy duty bumpers, winches, fishing holders, even a deer stand.

All those bicycle metal parts sticking into be breeze are certainly going to mess up the nice aerodynamics the manufacturers design into their vehicles. The question is, will you notice it. The lower your fuel economy is to start with the less noticeable impact adding a bike and rack (or other non-aerodynamic feature) will have. 

Prius owners report getting about 50 mpg at 60 mph without a rack and bike, and about 45 with it. Very noticeable. So, they go through about 4 gallons of fuel in 200 miles without the bike and about 4.4 with it. That means that dragging the bike through the air at 60 mph uses .4/200 or about 0.002 additional gallons per mile. 

Let's assume for a moment that a rack with a bike on it creates the same additional drag on a tow rig as it does on a Prius. Then if you use 1 gallon to go 13 miles without the bike you would use 1+ 13*.002= 1.026 gallons to go 13 miles with it. That works out to about 12.7 mpg. Probably not noticeable at all. Interesting though how a 5 mpg difference on a 50 mpg vehicle becomes a .3 mpg difference on a 13 mpg rig. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>