R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWinterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:38pm
Tat will do it. Live in north of Nashville, air for 5 years no issues, if I take my time it takes an hour. Put AF in traps, once a year. Same jug of AF 3 years.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Jarhead

I had the outside shower open so it used up extra antifreeze. Pain in the ass, Next time I’m just using air.

Just watch your low points and be sure they're low points. That's what got me years back. FR has no control over the the rat's nest they install. Just no adult supervision... 

I'm a fan of anti-freeze, but that's me and my past experiences. I'm in the Nor'east and anti-freeze works for me. Two years of air and I had an issue.. Just got to cold and held some.. 
Again... Each to their own.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 5:53pm
Year number 8 using air (85psi) and no problems.  I did the 'traditional' antifreeze the first year owning our 177 but took several attempts using white vinegar and baking soda to rid the lines of that nasty taste, yes we use our FW tank for drinking.  Start to finish winterizing takes about 20 minutes.  Longest part is draining the HW tank, while it is draining I open the low point drains and switch the 3 valves to "winter" mode.  After that I hook the air gun to the pigtail under the sink and blow every line out 2x, this takes less than 2 minutes.  Then measure 16 oz of rv antifreeze for the 3 traps and a little bit for the toilet to keep the seal moist.  Tomorrow night we are looking at 18 for a low so here we go, just a little bit early for that cold of weather.  Not uncommon where we are in northern MI to hit -28 C or colder so we get the cold weather test every winter.  So far . . . so good.  I finally had to go to Menard's this fall to pick up a gallon of RV antifreeze as my last gallon, purchased in 2012 for 79 cents was finally used up.  Price has gone up, fortunately there was a sale going on, paid 1.97 for 1 gallon so I will be good for another 8 years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by jato

Year number 8 using air (85psi) and no problems. 

Yikes Jato! At 85 psi I'm surprised you haven't blown out your water lines from their connectors! Just a suggestion but you might consider dialing back your compressor to 35 to 40 psi. At that pressure it will do the job I assure you.

As you have experienced I have also with only using maybe a 1/3 of gallon, if that much, of RV anti-freeze a year. I also believe anyone who thinks air doesn't work in the "Great White North" just needs to read your post and see where you live. Though if any one here want's to spend a lot of money on RV antifreeze and time pumping it in your lines or don't own an air compressor go ahead and use over a gallon plus of RV antifreeze every year and enjoy all the time you spend flushing it out in the spring. As the saying goes "to each their own" what works for you might not for me and vice a versa. I can't wait to spring and bring my Pod out of its winter slumber where all I have to do is re-install the anode rod in the hot water heater and fill it with water and hit the road with it to another adventure.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:22am
Big +1
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:11am
What I neglected to mentioned when using 85 psi is the fact that 1 line is always open using this method. Before hooking up the air, one line is opened, lines are then pressurized, 2nd line is then opened. When clear of water I close first line and then open 3rd line and so on.  
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by jato

What I neglected to mentioned when using 85 psi is the fact that 1 line is always open using this method. Before hooking up the air, one line is opened, lines are then pressurized, 2nd line is then opened. When clear of water I close first line and then open 3rd line and so on.  

Jato, I do the exact same procedure as you do. Open one valve before chucking my air hose and opening another before closing the previous. My only concern for you is at 85 psi if you some how forget to always have a valve open you can and most likely will blow out a line, yikes! At 35 to 40 psi you will get the same results and you don't have to worry about blowing out a line if you goof, like I do often, and don't open a valve before you close one. Just my 2 cents for what its worth.
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 10:30am
I would be in agreement with Dave. At 35-40 PSI (and maybe even a bit higher up to a max of 60 PSI) you will get the same results without the worry of forgetting to leave a valve open. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12