R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De winterizing
    Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 6:09pm
i winterizing using pink stuff by passing water heater and pumping it into lines via water pump. When I go to de winterize I will won’t to keep the hot water heater by passed until I flush the pink stuff out of the lines correct?
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:23pm
Right, keep the HW bypassed until you flush your pink antifreeze out.  I did it that way the first year of ownership on a 177 back in 2011.  Was really frustrated about the nasty taste in the lines the following spring, took a few tries of lemon juice, white cider vinegar and baking soda sitting in the lines for about a week to get rid of the 'flavor' left from the antifreeze.  Many people don't drink from their FW tanks so this isn't an issue but for us who do, it was a big problem, especially for those of us who have great tasting well water.  I have a hard time drinking bottled water, to me it tastes weird.  However when in third world countries there are no other options except to get really, really sick.

Since that first year doing it the traditional way using antifreeze in the lines we have opted to use pressurized air to blow out all lines and then use a total of 16 oz. RV antifreeze for our 3 traps (2 sink, 1 shower) and a little for the toilet to keep the seal moist.  Live in northern Michigan and get some really cold weather, no issues or leaks in the last 7 years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Jarhead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 7:36pm
Also I noticed the hot water heater has a shut off at both the hot and cold,(top and bottom of the tank) And then another one as well is this a by-pass. What’s it purpose?
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:04pm
The in and out valves stop water getting in the water heater.  The one in the middle let the water go from the cold side to the hot side (and all of your faucets) without going through the water heater.  If you don't close the in and out valves water will still get into the water heater, although some won't.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Jarhead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:42pm
Gotcha. So as long as I close the hot and cold to the heater I can leave the middle cne alone right ?
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 6:50am
Can't say for other configurations, but on our older 172, when we winterize there are 3 valves that have to be opened/closed; two bypass valves are turned to keep the water out of the water heater and the middle one opened so the cold water can get into the hot water pipes.  When you winterize with antifreeze the idea is to fill all the waterlines and valves with the antifreeze solution, but not the water heater.  There is also a valve where the water pump is that needs to be turned to allow the pump to draw the antifreeze that you need to turn back when done.

When you want to de-winterize, the idea is to thoroughly flush out all the antifreeze with fresh water.  To do that, you don't change the valve settings.  Once flushed, then you can go back and change the valves to allow water to flow through the water heater, including the middle valve.

Personally, I've never tried the blow it out method.  The antifreeze method is easy and the antifreeze solution is cheap, so I take the path of least resistance and have the confidence I've gotten enough of the water out and replaced with antifreeze to be sure nothing will freeze.  Many people really like the blow out method and have had good success with it.  I worry about not getting all the water out of things like toilet valves and don't to have to replace something like that b/c it had enough water left in it to crack it when the system froze.  But my worry is probably misplaced.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Jarhead

Gotcha. So as long as I close the hot and cold to the heater I can leave the middle cne alone right ?

NO.. you have to use the middle one. It is part of the "bypass circuit"

At this time your top and bottom valves should be closed, AND, the middle valve should be open, allowing the anti freeze to flow around, or bypassing, the WH.

When you want to use the WH come spring, you have to open the top and bottom valves to allow water to flow into and through the WH.
If you do not close the center valve, some water will still bypass the WH.. Cold water. Unheated water. Unhappy to hit you in the shower water...

Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:08am
The "Blow out" method works very well!  It doesnt matter if there is a small amount of water or moisture in the lines, as long as it can freely expand as it freezes.  You run into problems when the lines are full of water then freezes and the expanding ice has nowhere to go except through the lines or fittings.  
One thing:  when using this method, don't forget your toilet and any outside water outlets!
Swampfox
Jarhead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 10:43am
Thanks for the help. I think next time I’ll just use air
 Post Reply Post Reply