R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtraveling on a ferry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: traveling on a ferry
    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 6:05pm
I started the earlier mention of using a cooler.   Olddawgsrule is correct --insulation is the key.
I said that we used a quality cooler-it is an Engel , but the best part is that I made an insulated cover for it. I used REflectix roll insulation
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R-21-33-3-sq-ft-Unfaced-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-16-in-W-x-25-ft-L/1014123
which is available at Lowe's. It is 1/4" bubble wrap that is faced with reflective foil.  I used three thickness of the wrap.  Lowe's also has a special foil tape for joints at the seams.  The top can be taken off and leave the bottom in place.
We have kept ice as long as 9 days-we freeze it in gallon jugs and put i jug at each end. Makes good cold drinking water also.

hope this helps
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 8:09pm
A couple years ago we bought a Lifetime 55 quart ice chest to take on a trip to AZ anticipating boondocking for most of the trip.  Though we didn't really boondock as much as we anticipated due to our friends' camping preferences, I really appreciated the cooler.  I have put drinks and ice blocks in it and it keeps everything nice and cold for a surprisingly long time.  I usually fill big Costco plastic jars, like for nuts, with water and freeze it.  I've had that ice stick around for as long as a week.

The ices chest performs every bit as well as the high priced brands that cost over $200 or $300.  Here's a link I found for it today.  https://sunnypetra.com/index.php/lifetime-55-quart-high-performance-cooler-grey.html?utm_campaign=gs-2019-07-05&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign  Lifetime products, if I'm not mistaken, are made in Utah, which I think is still part of the USA.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:10am
If you want to add insulation to a cooler or refrigerator then its best to use a high r value foam insulation material like polyurethane and make it as thick as you have space for. The Reflectix type materials' insulation values are highly overrated for this kind of application because they depend on reducing radiation losses across a dead air cavity like an attic space. You don't have a cavity like that in a fridge or a cooler.  

So Reflectix foam is only about R 3 per inch and its about 1/3 inch thick so around R 3 for three wraps. Closed cell urethane is about R 6 per inch so a 2 inch space would give you R 12. To get that you can buy a cooler which already has 2 inches or more of foam in  it. Ignore the fancy brand name, look for the foam, and don't forget to check that the lid also contains foam. Or, here's a DIY way to do it LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7UcJZFZvk

When it comes to insulation, like they say in the automotive world, there ain't no substitute for cubic inches. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12