Topic ClosedAlaska Planning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska Planning
    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
Not to worry about DUI. I've never had one. I'm always the designated driver.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:20pm
Suggest that you look at the big picture here first. For what you are planning to do, unless you really like to drive and don't plan on seeing much along the way, 60 days is probably the minimum time you 'd need to allocate to a trip like this. My brother did a similar trip from NC last year, through Canada up into Alaska and back, in about 8 or 9 weeks. And they had to hightail it back. 

I live in the west - the best way to travel out here is off of the interstate highways, and many of the places that you are suggesting that you'd want to pass through could easily occupy 3-4 days. 

My suggestion - decide what the overriding control factor is; is it time on the road (4 weeks total), or is it see Canada/Alaska and parts in between, with stops to see family along the way? If its the former, then perhaps scale back your trip - maybe a few western states, taking your time to stop and see some of the less well known ones (where you'll find the best of the west, not the regular tourist stops). If its the latter - then plan on 8-10 weeks, I'm sure that you can figure out a way to deal with mail, someone checking in on the house, etc.

If you try to do too much, you 'll end up stressed out and spend all your time driving. 

For me personally, I can't imagine anything worse than traveling in an organized group camping expedition, sounds like a modern day wagon train - with someone telling you where to go and when, and the inevitable people who hold everyone up. 

There's so much to see out here. FWIW, if we were to organize a trip from here to Alaska, I'd probably plan on at least 8 weeks, and I'm alot closer. 

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:46am
We do have one commitment in mid-July that will mean we have to be back and reset in order to meet that commitment. This trip will certainly last longer than 30 days. I expect 45-50 days when all is said and done. I know it will be a lot of driving, however, I don't see us waiting even longer with the increased probability that we would not be able to make the trip at all. We may have to shorten it a bit by eliminating Anchorage (just turn around at Denali) to save a couple of days. We may also need to only have short visits with our daughters. We will see how things go and adjust as needed. Perhaps we won't make it to Alaska, but just to Banff if it looks like we would exceed the time we have available.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by StephenH

We do have one commitment in mid-July that will mean we have to be back and reset in order to meet that commitment. This trip will certainly last longer than 30 days. I expect 45-50 days when all is said and done. I know it will be a lot of driving, however, I don't see us waiting even longer with the increased probability that we would not be able to make the trip at all. We may have to shorten it a bit by eliminating Anchorage (just turn around at Denali) to save a couple of days. We may also need to only have short visits with our daughters. We will see how things go and adjust as needed. Perhaps we won't make it to Alaska, but just to Banff if it looks like we would exceed the time we have available.

The Banff turnaround might be a realistic and satisfying approach - my brother seemed to enjoy that part of his journey as much as anything. Spectacular country. 

I've been to Anchorage, interesting city but wouldn't be at the top of my list as a destination if needing to pare back.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:17pm
Denali is a worthwhile destination. Anchorage, not so much unless we did decide to take the ferry back to Washington instead of driving the reverse route. That is why I included it. When I last checked, the May and June schedules were not available.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:45am
Originally posted by Ben Herman

Originally posted by StephenH

The Banff turnaround might be a realistic and satisfying approach - my brother seemed to enjoy that part of his journey as much as anything. Spectacular country. 

I've been to Anchorage, interesting city but wouldn't be at the top of my list as a destination if needing to pare back.

I can't stop saying enough of that area!! The Canadian Rockies are just beyond words.. We spent 3 weeks in the area and barely scratched the surface.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:10am
I would agree about dropping Anchorage from your schedule if you need to save time. It is a nice ,big city-much like other big cities. It would be  a good place to refill, refuel, etc, but not a destination to spend much time. Go further north to Sitka and Denali
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Pod People

I would agree about dropping Anchorage from your schedule if you need to save time. It is a nice ,big city-much like other big cities. It would be  a good place to refill, refuel, etc, but not a destination to spend much time. Go further north to Sitka and Denali
Vann

Umm, Sitka is in SE Alaska, not north of Anchorage.  Did you mean Seward by chance?

The Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) is a good way to travel but state funding squabbles are impacting the sailing schedules.

My advice is to NOT travel in a group but go solo.  Driving from the Lower 48 to AK is like driving anywhere else.  No big deal.  Just be prepared for the gravel sections in Canada.

BTW, I lived in AK for 26 years in case you're wondering.  And drove to/from the Lower 48 to AK about 10 times.  And flew my little airplane to/from twice.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 9:56am
We have been to Alaska a couple of times. A couple things I can say, is be prepared to drive a Looo-ooong time. The distances in AK are immense. AK is as big as half of the lower 48. The good news is that there aren't roads in most of it (big picture, there are basically 3 roads in AK that make a giant triangle). The bad news is that ALL the roads will be under construction during the relatively short summer. Travel times will always be longer than you might expect.

Our highlights:

• Denali (Eielson VC, Wonder Lake, and more hiking opportunities than you can do in several summers)
  • Kenai Peninsula (lots of side trips along the Cook Inlet, Kenai Fjords, glaciers, etc.)
  • Seward (we took day-cruises to the glaciers)
  • Homer
We flew there both times. Once commercial, and once in our private plane. When I flew there in my plane, I made a side trip to North Pole AK, and a guy I met in Canada along the way took me to an island on the Yukon River. We went down-river from Yukon River Camp to his "cabin" on the island and spent a couple days fishing there. That is the most remote place I've ever been.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:05am

And the website in general for Alaska trip planning.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>