Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlaska Planning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska Planning
    Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:21pm
We towed our 171 to Alaska in the summer of 2013.  We live in Washington so it is a little bit closer for us.  We took a month off work.  We took the ALCAN north and the Cassiar south.  I have a coworker that would drive to Alaska every couple of years to fish on the Kenai so I used him as a fount of knowledge.  
As FurPod said "Get the Milepost".  
You can make the trip alone!
Although you will feel like you are the only vehicle on the road at times, there are others out there.  

2015 RPOD 178 HRE (2015- ) 2010 RPOD 171 (2009-2015)
2010 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by wooleeman

Stephen, please keep us apprised of your plans on the forum.  You have my interest but as relatively new to the RV world I don't know if I would be properly prepared to attempt a trip such as this.
That is one reason I was thinking that if we had a group that wanted to make the trip, we could team up and form our own caravan of sorts. That way, we would have some with more experience and those with less experience might feel comfortable enough to make the trip also.

We would be more likely to sign up with a caravan group if the price weren't so high. Part of that is the shows and tours that are included as part of the packages offered. We can dispense with the shows. The scenery is the main show as far as we are concerned. We don't need to go to a burlesque show or have a sled-dog ride, etc. As for shopping, we did enough of that when we went on the cruise.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Originally posted by StephenH

The only problem with mail hold is that the USPS will only hold for 30 days maximum. An Alaska trip will last longer than that. 

I live in a smaller town so the folks at USPS are neighbors (of sorts). She had me fill out the extended (following month) form and she kept it there for me. I do so like my little town!

I was also told you can go online and sign up for the next months hold. Don't know how well that works (didn't have to do it). I will say mail forwarding failed miserably for us. Some rather important mail was returned instead of being forwarded which lead to several phone calls to work it all out once we got back. Just 'our' experience with forwarding.. I go with 'hold' now.
I did authorize my daughter to pick up my mail which worked out very well. If you're gone for months you could get something you need to put attention to.

Yep.. we are literally neighbors with the manager.. On a "been over for BBQ" basis with our delivery person. We start with a 30 day, then let them know we will be a bit longer.. hasn't been an issue yet. though 38 days is the longest we have done.

I would do two 30 day holds, back to back, with one day split, and have a friend go in on that one day to pick up the mail from the 1st hold.. We do mail holds several times a year, always sign up on line, always choose "we will pick up held mail".
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 2:32pm
We do not have any family in the area. I could ask a neighbor or fellow church member to pick up mail for us.

I did a quick Google Maps routing search and came up with some results. If we avoid the Chicago area, it makes the trip a bit longer, but we should avoid some rather rough roads that way. If I were to follow the route in the picture below, it would be 10,903 miles and (at highway speeds, not towing) would take about 175 hours to drive. Of course, that means in all practicality, it would be much more than that many active driving hours since we won't drive the high speeds on which the figure is based. Just based on those hours, it would take 21 days of 8 hours per day driving to make the trip. Add on to that the stops in Utah and Arizona to see the grandchildren (plus daughters and son in law).

This trip could easily take 60+ days when all is said and done.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 4:00pm
We routimely take longer than 30 day trips.  We have had good luck by being good friends with our delivery person.  We give him a prepaid box addressed to the address of a campground we will be staying at and he mails out the first installment.  We put a second hold on for the rest of the stay.  I purchased "The Milepost" last year as we were thinking of going to Alaska in 2020.  We aren't going to be able to go then but maybe the following year.  The Milepost is also available on-line at themilepost.com.  There is a disclaimer in the book about calling the places you are planning to stop at.  Like many small businesses, these close with/without notice so check for availability.
Enjoy Life!!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by ArenaBlanca

We routimely take longer than 30 day trips.  We have had good luck by being good friends with our delivery person.  We give him a prepaid box addressed to the address of a campground we will be staying at and he mails out the first installment.  We put a second hold on for the rest of the stay.
I don't know how well that would work because the USPS does offer a forwarding service. Also, since we have not got as far as planning our stops, it would be difficult to say just where we would be.

I purchased "The Milepost" last year as we were thinking of going to Alaska in 2020.  We aren't going to be able to go then but maybe the following year.  The Milepost is also available on-line at themilepost.com.  There is a disclaimer in the book about calling the places you are planning to stop at.  Like many small businesses, these close with/without notice so check for availability.

Thanks for the online link. I'll check it out. We have been traveling for the most part without reservations except at certain destinations where we know we will be staying more than overnight. That may need to change for this trip though.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by StephenH

This trip could easily take 60+ days when all is said and done.

Being where your coming from, nice run! Up the eastern side of the Rockies and crossing in Canada. Oh ya, will that be a run! You will cross into Canada and the Rockies will become amazing, even more so that what you have seen as you travel along. It caught me buddy! Plan a little extra time to enjoy please. 

You are also going to go so close to the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Ocean, it's almost too close not to.. I met three folks traveling that where headed there just because it just opened up.

Yup, adding more thought to your journey of  lifetime! Sorry...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 1:46pm
Hello Stephen,
Good luck with your trip.  We have  always talked about doing this-but never got around to it.
We ar frequently gone more than 30 days.  We put in multiple hold mail requests for 29 days and let our rural carrier know what it going on.  It works it out fine since it meets the gov't requirements. I built a plywood box with lid that is waterproof and he simply deposits 30 days worth of mail when the period is up. a neighbor stops by on the appointed day and puts it in our house.

also, we have gone from NC to Oregon and up into BC with the pod.  We had a great trip going north to Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, etc along our northern border.  Unless it's too early(cold,ice,snow) in the season, the weather will be cooler and less crowds.  There are lots of good places to visit/camp  along the way
drive safe
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:00pm
Figured I'd post up over here and get ya active again!

I fell so in love with the Canadian Rockies that I will go back at some point. Alaska is a reach or goal I may not do, so kiddo's to you for doing the deed! 

I will return and catch Northwest Terriitories and Yukon Provinces, two I have no touched in Canada. Especially with the road to the Arctic Ocean now open! But that is just too much of an add to your trip.. Besides, it's my goal and you have yours.

Your going to have a hard time slowing down as to travel north through the Canadian Rockies, yet I can not stress enough to plan a little extra time as you do. It's going to amaze you! Be ready for this! I wasn't or actually hoped it would and it just blew me away! 

Return trip down the west side of the Rockies has it's pluses with going through Washington and Oregon. Two states well worth seeing. Yet if you've never been down the east side and into Utah.. Don't hesitate. The trip south is just beyond words as to how wonderful the landscape is. When you do reach Utah and explore around the Big Five and the Minors and those eve less than, you wonder why you have visited before. 

You have an amazing trip ahead of you! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 5:27pm
Yes, as I said in the other topic, the final route has yet to be determined, but I do hope we can see some of the more spectacular landscape the US and Canada have to offer. That is why we want to make this trip instead of booking another cruise to Alaska. There isn't much landscape to see when one is away from the shoreline.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>