R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: what is the best multifunction cooking appliance?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat is the best multifunction cooking appliance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the best multifunction cooking appliance?
    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 3:40pm
Space being at a premium, multifunction cooking appliances are optimal. We have an electric skillet because we cook outside the trailer a lot. Is there a better multitool? Some people like 'instant pots' but I am not sure it is flexible enough. Ideas/suggestions are appreciated.
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:32pm
This post brings back old camping memories. I recall a free standing, plow disc wok, charcoal and a thermo fondue pot. My wife is all about air fryers and the insta pot. To me it is about what makes my happy menu. I live and die by the propane grill, a little foil and I can do anything. I don't do electric fry pans anymore, I can do that with a grill. A lot of the answer is the menu, you're not doing beans on a grill. Beans are a staple to me. Like you I cook outside, more fun. We even have convection now. We don't carry a crock pot anymore, insta pot now.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 9:58pm
GMG Davy Crockett. Smoke, grill, bake.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 10:12pm
Unfortunately, there is no one "do it all" appliance. The best thing is to find the appliances that can meet your needs for the various types of cooking you need to do. For example, we have a Coleman Grill-stove which has a single camp stove type burner and then about 2/3 of the space is taken up with a grill (great for burgers, steaks, etc.). Separately purchased for that is the griddle that takes the place of the grill. That is great for bacon, eggs, pancakes, toast (regular or French), etc. However, one would be hard pressed to cook other things with it.

Next is a good cookware set. We have the ten piece Magma nesting cookware set that is induction capable. I like that there is a variety of pot sizes and a frying pan that all nest together along with handles that lock in place so they don't fall off if one inverts a pot. These may seem expensive, but the quality is as good as any high-end cookware set like you would get for your home. They are available in non-induction also. They can be used on any type of stove to include induction. To go with that is an induction cooktop. We bought ours at Aldi but Amazon carries a number of models from $24.99 and  up.

An electric pressure cooker (AKA Instant Pot) is good. These are very versatile and can be used to sauté, steam, slow-cook, or pressure cook. One can cook rice quickly, including brown rice. One can even cook cheesecakes in them (with the proper pan, that is).Soups and stews? no problem. The down side to these (and induction cooktops) is that they need shore power or a good generator to run them.

Well, that is enough for now. You will figure out what works best for you, your style of cooking, and the space available to store things.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 10:30pm
We don't go anywhere without our Camp Chef oven.

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Unfortunately, there is no one "do it all" appliance. An electric pressure cooker (AKA Instant Pot) is good. 

Thanks for all the responses. This post was at the request of my wife to see if we were missing anything. 

Our problem is that we don't have too much extra space in the trailer or t.v. and we don't hang around the trailer very much, so we come in tired and hungry and just want to eat and wash the dishes. Simple and compact appliances have their attractiveness to us. 

Instant pots, camp chef cookers or GMC ones seem to be too bulky for their usefulness, but as was pointed out, this depends on the menu that each party prefers. 

Our electric fry pan and the microwave/convection oven meets almost all of our needs but one thing that comes out of this is, I do think I have not taken sufficient advantage of propane grills so I think we'll get a small Weber and see how it works out.
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 6:05pm
My favorite multi function cooking appliance.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 6:09am
Originally posted by tcj

My favorite multi function cooking appliance.

Smile
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 8:46am
My everyday cooking appliances are, first a 17 in blackstone grill. It's really good for breakfast. I throw bacon, CBhash, a few diced potatoes, and a couple eggs on the griddle top, and it's like breakfast at my favorite hash house. I could cook most things on it, but, I also bring my webber Q grill. I like some things grilled, like hot dogs, they just gotta have that open flame, lightly blackened goodness that you get from grilling. We also bring the crock pot on occasion if we know we will be away most of the day, and want to return to supper waiting for us. I guess what i'm saying is I don't have a "one and done " appliance. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
CarlosFanning View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 4:29am
I actually very rarely cook food. But when I used to be kitchen I would like to deal with a refrigerator, oven, and other vegetable appliances like spoon, knife, etc.
Carlos K Fanning
 Post Reply Post Reply