R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMicro-Air easy start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Micro-Air easy start
    Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:39am
Maybe the Generac is quieter than the Honda 2K but what I find is that the Honda is much quieter at typical low power levels (especially in ECO mode) because it throttles down to low rpm but when fully loaded (as in running the a/c) it throttles up and really isn't much if any quieter than a non-inverter generator. Pretty darn loud actually. 

I have used the generator a few times in the kind of situations you're describing, and a couple of times in dispersed camping areas without generator restrictions. but for the most part I've not been able to. The NPS and our non generator using fellow campers don't distinguish between a quiet and a noisy generator. So I'm looking at other solutions. 

That being said, is still like the EasyStart even when running the a/c hooked up at home because of the lighter startup load on my 15A circuit. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 9:11am
Even with the EasyStart, my 15A circuit was not adequate due to other things being on that circuit. I finally installed a 30A RV outlet next to the outside breaker box and use a heavy-duty 30A extension cord to get power close enough to the RPod to plug in. It was less expensive to do it that way as the cost for electrical cable was rather steep and the cost would have been higher to put the RV outlet box near the RPod. If I had paid an electrician to do the job, it would have been in the neighborhood of $400+ to do the job.

I'm sure the Honda 2K is quieter than the Generac iX2000, especially in ECO mode. While the iX2000 is pretty quiet, it still is plenty loud, especially when under the load of the AC, but not nearly as loud as the a commercial generator would have been.

With all that being said, I would not mind it at all if I could find a suitcase solar panel setup at the right price. That would eliminate the generator noise, but there have been some places I have camped where sunlight was not that plentiful but rain was. Unfortunately, a small fuel cell power supply is not currently available AFAIK.

Edit:  I just came across this:  Watt Fuel Cell
No mention of price or availabilility though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 10:06am
Neither a portable solar module nor a small fuel cell are going to run your a/c.  Best shot is a high efficiency a/c run from Li batteries. Even then you'll need 5 plus kWh per day for a few hour's operation. But you can get that from either a large rooftop solar array or a genny or alternator charging during the day, or a combination.

Apparently Watt shipped some of these to Erwin Hymer (aka Roadtrek) about a year ago. Looks like Erwin Hymer has gone bankrupt since and there aren't any recent announcements from Watt so I wouldn't expect much anytime soon. There are a couple of asian sources for portable fuel cells but they apparently use a special expensive methanol fuel rather than commercial propane, so they're not very practical at this point. 

Sorry, I should have said 20A home circuit, not 15A. 20A does OK running the trailer as long as I don't run other things at the same time. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 12:46pm
I realize that the AC would be nearly impossible to run on either solar or fuel cell at this point. There isn't enough room on the R-Pod to mount sufficient solar panels and a fuel cell large enough to run the AC would likely take up half the available space in the RPod. I saw that about Roadtrek and I saw information about the methanol fueled one.

The only outdoor outlets I had before installing my 30A RV outlet were wired into a 15A breaker (why? I don't know). 20A would have made more sense.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
They were probably only run with 14 gauge wire because its cheaper, if they are 12 gauge you could replace the outlets with 20A ones and swap out the breaker. 

I think I can get about 1kw of solar on the 179 if I remove the roof a/c. That would give about 4 kWh/day average in NC in the summer which would just about run a high efficiency a/c (not our roof a/c's) overnight. Daytime use would require additional TV or genny charging. But running a generator or TV in the daytime isn't restricted, its the night time that's the problem.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 1:31pm
You wanna sell that easy-start cheap so you can begin your solar powered A/C project? You wont be needing it after you toss the roof air unit....

Approve
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 2:14pm
He he, good try.Tongue

Actually I was thinking of putting it on my backup window a/c which I installed in the bedroom for when our power is out after the hurricanes. The window unit startup surge sometimes trips the Honda when the fridge is on at the same time. 

If however you wanna take a nice camping trip to the OBX and take both the roof air and easystart off my hands i would make you a good deal on the combo Big smile. Weather is great this time of year (between hurricanes anyhow) 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 3:39pm
Breaking my silence.. for the moment..

A friend from 5 years back on a alternative energy site developed a 12v AC system for his sailboat he was living on and traveling in. Even on his system the issue was startup draw. That's where the start capacitors came into play.

He's been unreachable for years, basically meaning what he developed worked and is marketable. Last I heard from him was 4 years back and he was living on a yacht in the South China Sea enjoying life. 

Is there more to the Easy-Start then meets the eye? Of course there is. It has to pass government regulations of safety. Is it more than just a start capacitor? Ya, but not much. 

If I had a AC unit, I'd look into this more before I spent $300.. 

If I wanted AC, I'd dig a bit deeper into smaller DC units that work efficiently for freezers or refrigerators and work upward from there.

I am enjoying the conversation here!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 4:37pm
Product liability is part of the cost. There is a potential in any product like this for something bad to happen...either installation mistakes, wiring errors, falling off a ladder when trying to do the installation, or simply a failed component.  

If even one RV burns to the ground...and one investigator sees the crispy easy start innards with a blown capacitor....or one 98 year old guy falls off the RV roof and hires a new and hungry lawyer while still in the hospital bed, then poof!

Instant lawsuit.

The lawyer's boats and pools and alimony payments, and the liability insurance company skyscrapers have to be paid for somehow....so that cost is added in to the price of the unit.

Whether that is $1 per unit or $100 per unit..is anyone's guess.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Breaking my silence.. for the moment..

A friend from 5 years back on a alternative energy site developed a 12v AC system for his sailboat he was living on and traveling in. Even on his system the issue was startup draw. That's where the start capacitors came into play.

He's been unreachable for years, basically meaning what he developed worked and is marketable. Last I heard from him was 4 years back and he was living on a yacht in the South China Sea enjoying life. 

Is there more to the Easy-Start then meets the eye? Of course there is. It has to pass government regulations of safety. Is it more than just a start capacitor? Ya, but not much. 

If I had a AC unit, I'd look into this more before I spent $300.. 

If I wanted AC, I'd dig a bit deeper into smaller DC units that work efficiently for freezers or refrigerators and work upward from there.

A 12V system would be running with a 12V DC motor. A start capacitor would work great there, as you could use the capacitor to fill in during the surge at the start. 

Not the same as a 120VAC motor, as the alternating current makes it a bit more complicated.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>