R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrecommendation for generator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: recommendation for generator
    Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 1:52pm
I have a 2011 rPod 177 model (purchased used).

I want to be able to camp for extended periods and need a generator. I've looked at the Honda 2200 watt but have no experience with generators and don't know if this will run the heater/AC. Please advise. Thanks.
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 5:58pm
The furnace runs mostly on propane (it needs 12V for controls and ignition), so no problem there. A Honda 2200 would run the AC if you installed a slow start device on the AC. One that gets high praise is the Micro-Air EasyStart 364.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 10:18am
This is a common question.

An 'advanced search' here or an internet search will give you a lot of relevant info.

Bottom line, if no 'Easy Start', a 2400 Yamaha or equivalent probably will suffice for a/c, run alone, away from hi mountains. Test first.

NEVER get a 'contractor's generator' - too loud
MRuss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 11:15am
This forum is amazing ! Thanks for the prompt & helpful replies.
I appreciate your suggestions & expert advice.
Happy podding!!!😊
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Happy Tripping

NEVER get a 'contractor's generator' - too loud

And the power is usually rather "dirty" because it typically doesn't have an inverter. It runs at one speed and relies on that speed for 50/60 Hz.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 3:53pm
Greetings:
Contractor generators produce a 60 cycle square wave Which is not good for electronics of any kind.  Plus they will vary on cycles.  They run at about 3600 RPM, That's why they are noisy.  A inverter runs at vey high cycles and down converts the out put to a pure 60 cycle sine wave.  It only runs as fast as needed for the load.  The engine is running at a lower speed, less wear and noise.  Inverters cost much more but last longer and of course are much quieter.  I've been using my Honda for over 12 years, still runs good.  

Crankster78  2015 R-179
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
beardman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
I've powered my R-Pod with two different generators. The first week we had it, we decided to boondock with an old Honda EN2500. It kicked the AC just fine, and allowed us to watch TV. 

I found a used Predator 3500 (Honda EU3000is clone) for $425, and it's been fine ever since. With this thing, the only thing I wouldn't do is run the microwave/oven or a blowdryer, at the same time as the AC. No big deal. For the money it's been a decent stop-gap, as a paid of Honda 2200s or an EU3000 will cost in excess of $2500. 

Eventually I'll replace this thing with a Honda, but for now it works perfectly. 

Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by crankster78

Greetings:
Contractor generators produce a 60 cycle square wave Which is not good for electronics of any kind.  Plus they will vary on cycles.  They run at about 3600 RPM, That's why they are noisy.  A inverter runs at vey high cycles and down converts the out put to a pure 60 cycle sine wave.  It only runs as fast as needed for the load.  The engine is running at a lower speed, less wear and noise.  Inverters cost much more but last longer and of course are much quieter.  I've been using my Honda for over 12 years, still runs good.  
Crankster78  2015 R-179

This is incorrect. A conventional rotary generator will not produce square waves. The governor systems are usually incapable of tight control of the RPM. The resulting jitter in RPM may cause some harmonic distortion but never a square wave. And the frequency is never really 60 Hz.

OTOH, inverters use switching electronics to create square waves to convert DC to AC but then have to filter it to smooth it enough have a sine wave. How would you know the filters were working well enough?

Either design will produce power good enough to run household (and RV) appliances and electronics. BTDT.

Bottom line, for everyday use buy a generator that is quiet enough for your use and that you can afford.

Dometic says their 13,500 BTU roof AC pulls 15.1 amps or about 1750 watts. Electric motors require 2 or more times the running watts to start. A 3500 watt generator will safely start the AC.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 8:15am
What is BTDT?  I often get lost in the acronyms.  Thanks!
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 9:43am
Colt is right. Rotary generators do produce a sine wave. However, because they are running from gas or propane engine, the RPM will be varying a bit. Also, some of them use generators with brushes, which can cause noise superimposed on the sine wave. A "better" rotary generator will usually have a brushless generator, but they still can be a little noisy.

Better inverter generators actually produce a nice sine wave (Hondas are the classic example). Cheaper inverter generators will produce a square wave, which is sometimes cleaned up a bit with filters. YMMV.

I think "BTDT" is Been There Done That, but I happy to be corrected.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>