R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

R179 kitchen sink fell out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R179 kitchen sink fell out
    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm
The sink on my rpod179 fell through the countertop cutws! I want to repair out. It was only held in with 4 screws.
I want to put in proper sink clips but I didn't know how to get access to bottom of sink? Do I need to disassemble the drawer rails and if so how to do this. Has anyone repaired the same issue.

gary
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 4:22pm
Several people have had this happen. Usually, it's because the edge wasn't properly sealed. You can re-seal the edge with epoxy & then re-attach the sink, or you can install a sink that hangs from a lip, and is sealed around the edge.

I don't see a comfortable way to do this without taking out the drawers.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
garyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 8:33pm
Thanks for your help. It just seems that I shouldn't have to spend so much time rebuilding poor design and quality

gary
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:35pm
I saw this once. The owner had the undermount sink and had carried some items, including a jug of water IIRC in the sink while traveling. I installed a top-mount sink in ours so this is not a concern for me. The bottom line would be that those with undermount sinks should not carry items in them while traveling or should reinforce the sink before doing so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 8:29am
I do not have mine here to investigate, but I figure you have a few things to take apart to get at it.

Hopefully the inserts are still in the top and you just require sealing and screwing back on. I say hopefully, due to all else that has come apart in mine and I've re-done.

If you have the composite top, silicone or plumbers putty please. Hard drying adhesives can add to cracking you top. If the inserts came out.. New brass ones and drill according to the spec's for them. Tapped in correctly, they do not need any adhesives. 

The easiest fix is what StephenH said: Drop-in replacement. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 9:32am
Earlier Pods came with top mount sinks.. I wondered if the change to under mounts would work out.. thankfully, for the most part it has, but we have had a few owners with it failing..

I agree that going with a top mount replacement is the best and most secure "fix".. but it does take away from the more modern look of the undermount..

The drawers should just pull out, and the space will be clear.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 10:00am
The one thing the undermount gives that a top-mount lacks is the ability to put an insert in for a flat work surface that includes the area of the sink. A cover can be put over a top-mount sink, but it won't be flat with the countertop. On the 179, it isn't a big deal as there is a lot of countertop to work with. On some of the other models, it is a bigger deal since counter space is very limited.

Our 179 came with the tiny plastic sink. One of my early mods was to replace it with a larger stainless steel sink and at the same time, replace the cheap faucet with a better one. It was something that has worked out very well for us and my wife likes it which is the most important part.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
garyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote garyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 10:30am
thanks to you all. I removed the sink and found out it was a drop in type sink? anyway I top mounted it and glued it in place with 3m 4500 adhesive. THis shoud be waterproof and secure for the life of the trailer.
gary
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 11:01am
Even the undermount sinks have a rim. The issue is that it isn't usually very attractive visually since it is meant to be mounted on the bottom of the counter. There is nothing preventing one (as you showed) from dropping it in from the top and gluing it in place though. It certainly is stronger that way.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 11:48am
I like your solution.

Sometimes the older designs are better. Undermount sinks are simply not as structurally sound or water resistant as drop in sinks.  French door refrigerators with their complex sealing system are just not as robust as side by side fridges. Personally, I'm happy to adopt new things if they are actually better (like LCD TVs vs CRT TVs)  but if not, I'll stick with what works as long it is still available. Just my $0.02. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>