R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Mobile Data plan that works for me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Mobile Data plan that works for me!
    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 8:26am
So a few months ago I began reading a lot about Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) in the US. One new one which caught my interest was Visible - https://www.visible.com/

$40/month. No contract. Unlimited data. No data throttling. Hotspot tethering. Uses Verizon's network. (Actually owned by Verizon)

Sounded very intriguing. The price is pretty close to what I pay (per phone) for two AT&T phones on a Family Share plan with capped 6 Gigs of data. I've wanted to increase our traveling data plan, but just didn't like anything I saw and didn't want to get locked into something. When not traveling, 6 gigs of shared data works fine for the two phones. We do use a pre-paid T-Mobile plan for iPad (with tethering), but it is limited.

We had some camping trips in the works (northeast) and I like using Google YouTubeTV or HBONow/Netflix  while camping (data hogs). I do, occasionally need to do a little virtual office work also. I figured this would be a good test.

I didn't want to switch over our existing AT&T phones, but I did have an old iPhone 6 (AT&T) sitting around. With a little effort and a few phone calls to AT&T I was able to get the old phone unlocked so that it could be used with any carrier. There is no charge for this.

I signed up for the new Visible service. The next day, I received (FedEx) the sim and a welcome kit. Installed the sim, fired it up, waited a bit and there it was on the "Visible" (Verizon) network. Worked just fine @ home. As well as my AT&T phones. Test would be on the road and tethering. The idea was to use it as a mobile hotspot while traveling and camping.

Oh, before I tell you how well it worked; I did an initial inquire about "pausing" the service. I wanted to know if I could stop paying the $40.00/mt and come back anytime I wanted. They said, "Yes! But, if you pause it longer than 60 days you will loose your number". There is no fee for pausing. You simply pay or don't pay. They remind you when it is time to pay - online.

So, over the last six weeks or so, we have traveled quite a bit down and around Maryland, upstate New York (finger lakes region) and even up north of Ottawa, CA. With the exception of Canada, I have to say the service worked great! They don't have a Canadian roaming plan yet. We used our AT&T and a prepaid T-Mobile iPad plan in Canada. As we like to stream internet radio or music while on the road, I did find the rare occasional dead zone. Pretty much on par with AT&T, but better than T-Mobile. I never used the Visible (iPhone6) for making voice calls - strictly as a mobile hotspot.

The fine print says you can only tether one device at a time, but I find I can tether my XR and Laptop at the same time with no problem. I had no problem streaming live TV (Google YouTubeTV) or Netflix or HBO. 

And here's the kicker...

Yesterday, I get an email from "Visible Perks". It was a $100.00 prepaid Mastercard account! I activated it and already have spent $80.00 of it on Amazon. Sooooo, I have paid them $80.00 for two months of service. They paid me $100.00 for signing up. I'm still $20.00 ahead! How could I not recommend them!!

On top of that, if you do decide to give them a try, use this referral code ==> wZm2m

If you use that referral code, it should only cost you $20.00 to sign up and I get $20.00 off my next payment.

Most of you know I have been around here long enough that I'm not trying to scam anyone. And I know this sounds like a scam. This just seems like a deal folks here might be interested in. Your experience may be completely different - in fact I did read a lot of nasty stuff. I just know my experience has been great.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 9:37am
Sounds very interesting. 

I have a unlimited (although of course throttled) ATT data plan.  Using my ATT mobile plan and a booster and directional antenna in areas of weak signal I often run one phone as a wifi hotspot and make wifi calls on the second  (tethered) phone. My thought would be to try Visible and if our experience is as good as yours to port our numbers to Google Voice and dispense with the ATT plan entirely, and just use wifi calling instead. 

So,  I wonder if that works on the Visible service? Have you tried wifi calling on it? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 9:57am
Offgrid,

It would probably work.  You might want to unlock the phone you use as a hotspot. That way, you're not tied to any carrier. AT&T has an online system of unlocking if your phone is paid off. It didn't work for me, but a couple of 611 calls and it was fixed. For $20.00 it might be worth a try - using the referral price.

Give me a few minutes and I'll try the WiFi calling with my phones.

I ported my landline to Google Voice years ago (via burner cell). At home I use an Obi 200 w/Google Voice.

fred

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 10:18am
Interesting Offgrid, it works perfectly.

I tethered my XR to Visible iPhone 6. I turned off cellular data on XR. I launched (Google) Voice app and made WiFi call. Worked perfectly. Incoming call from Google Voice call was identified as my ported home number.

So I would say it works.

I'd be happy to run any other tests. Right now, in my house, with two bars LTE, I see 2.0 Mbps download via FAST App on iPhone 6 (Visible). I see 4.6 Mbps on my XR (AT&T). It varies, but both give me good and reliable service.

fred
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 10:50am
One more configuration option for portable data hogs like me...

Posted this using the above configuration.

Fred

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 1:35pm
Very cool Fred, and thanks much for running the trial. I too have an old landline I'd transitioned to Google voice years ago, all I get now on it is spam calls, so I've been thinking about shutting it down.  

I might get Visible on my old iphone 6 like you did and give it a try for a couple of months using my old google voice line. If its stable I might be able to drop att at long last.Thumbs Up Are you planning to drop your att service at some point if you continue to have a good experience with Visible? 

Unless Visible is not using the full capacity of the Verizon network I would think that the variability in download speed would be a function of proximity to the att vs the Verizon towers at any given location. According to some of the recent reviews it looks like the service was originally throttled but that has been removed. Is that your understanding? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:09pm
Offgrid,

Yeah, I battle spam calls all the time. W/Google voice @ home, we just don't pick up the phone if we don't recognize the number and every once in a while I go online and block a bunch of them. Not too bad.

Prolly crazy, but I'm not ready to drop AT&T (wireless) just yet. Been with them for 30+ years, back when I could get a free toaster oven negotiating a new rate! I am going to keep going with Visible as my RV Hotspot, at least as long as they keep proving themselves. I probably should switch, just old and stubborn. ;)

(I edited above cuz I figured you might have AT&T landline. I dropped Comcast landline years ago for VOIP via GV)

As far as connectivity goes, I totally agree with proximity to towers. I've been on the road all over the country with AT&T, VZ and T-Mobile. They all have dead zones. My experience...AT&T slight advantage over VZ. T-Mobile great on Interstates and big cities and Canada. So far, as you say, Visible is Verizon so shouldn't be any different. I have read that they do get throttle in congested areas - I don't hang around congested areas. Also, not sure if it's my old iPhone 6 or not, but I have toggled airplane mode a few times to search for new tower and better connection. Prolly just old phone.

If you do give Visible a try, please use my referral. I'm trying to see how many gigs I can get for nuthin! So far, I have used 30Gb in six weeks on Visible and they have paid me $20.00 for the privilege. Crazy, but true.

fred

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by offgrid

According to some of the recent reviews it looks like the service was originally throttled but that has been removed. Is that your understanding? 

Forgot to answer that. Definitely not throttled. I have measure 50Mbs+ not far from my home. Last week @ Green Lakes State Park outside of Syracuse I was watching HD Streaming GoogleTV and HBO Now no problem. I did find AT&T was better than VZ right along St. Lawerence River (US side). Interstates are a wash with all major carriers.

fred
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:43pm
The other MVNO to think about is Google Fi. I have (now) at least 3 friends who are using it, and are very happy. It uses a blend of four different mobile networks (Sprint, T-mobile, US Cellular, and Three), plus WiFi where it can get it. According to my friends, it seamlessly switches between the available choices based on signal quality. About half the cost as Visible, but the data is not unlimited. $20/month for the first phone & $15/month for additional phones added to the group. 

A fairly even handed description on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Fi

Unlike Visible, which is CDMA/LTE, this is a blend of GSM, CDMA, HSPA+, LTE, and WiFi.

Out here in the west, we find VZ has much better coverage than AT&T. At home, we get VZ with 2 bars (if you're on the west side of the house), but we get zip from AT&T. Works better for us to just be on WiFi.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2019 at 2:57pm
That's really good info and I did look @ Google Fi. Here, in the East ( at least where I travel ), VZ is a much better cell coverage option and few fallback WiFi options. It is good, however to have options. Last time I traveled to west coast, I found coverage differences interesting. Best difference was @ Mount Ranier National Park - nothing, nada, no wi-fi, no nuthin. It was nice.

fred

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>