R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThule Awning Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thule Awning Information
    Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:11pm

This information is for Pod owners who have a unit that has the Thule manual crank out awning. Sadly, Thule has a real problem with awning support arms locking mechanism which I and other Pod owners I’ve met that have had with this awning. In the three seasons we have used our Pod we have gone through three awning support arms! The first support arm locking mechanism just came to pieces and since it was under Thule two-year warranty my RV dealer replaced it. To my surprised Thule only sells these support arms in pairs so I ended up with a free extra support arm for a spare, not bad! Now fast forward to the present and two more camping seasons and I’ve now had two more support arm locking mechanisms fail which totals three failed arms! I contacted Thule America and found out to my surprise that the awning and its parts are imported from Thule Europe to Lippert who then sells this awning to Forest River. If you ever have a problem with one of these Thule awnings you need to contact Lippert, www.LCi1.com for warranty issues or parts. I spoke to someone in Lippert warranty department and explained they had a real problem with the defective cheap plastic locking mechanism on the Thule support arms. They in turn asked for information on my camper and photo documentation of the failed arms that I provided for them. The end result is they are now shipping me two new support arms even though my warranty period is past! Now that’s customer service on Lippert’s part and hopefully they can get Thule to make changes to their support arms locks. I guess now I can put away the little C-clamps I bought as an emergency repairs?

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:52pm
I have the Thule awning and am well into my third season with no issues.  Can you provide some details as to what the failure is?  I'm not sure I understand.

Thanks
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:45pm
Likewise, I have the Thule awning. I thought initially that the locking mechanism would break, but so far, they have held up well. I appreciate the information as I know plastic tends to get brittle as it ages. This will be good information for that day when one or both of them reach that point of failure.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:10pm
Well Kup-Pod and StephenH maybe I'm just lucky (NOT) with so many failed support arms.

The problem is that the locking mechanism have failed to lock into place when you extend the support arm and push the plastic lever up to lock it. This cause the arm when you extend it to obviously fail to hold. I had one of these cheap plastic locking mechanism just come apart in one arm and in two arms to not lock tight in place. Also, believe me I'm not ham fisted it with trying to force this plastic arm to lock. Their failure was so obvious that when I sent photos of these arms locking mechanism to Lippert and told them Thule has a problem they replaced the arms even though they are out of warranty. I'm not alone with this problem because on our last road trip this summer I met another Pod owner who also had the same failure of a their awning support arm. Just like my problems with the support arms theirs was also because of the cheap plastic lock wouldn't fully lock into place. They too, like me, were also using a C-clamp to hold it extended. Small world hey? I think not and that Thule and their importer Lippert have a real problem. So be aware, I hope that maybe you'll never have a this problem but at least now I know I'm not alone.

If I may I'd like to offer another tip to Pod owners who have this Thule awning which is to check the brackets on your camper that these support arms can be put into. I had one completely fail and pulled off the camper in a mild wind and found the other bracket loose. The only reason I can find that they failed and pulled off the camper is because who ever installed it from the factory must of gotten over zealous with the electric or air powered screw driver that caused the screws that hold the brackets to strip out. The solution was to go to one size larger screws and coat the threads in epoxy then screw in by hand in the same holes.
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:14pm
thanks for the details, I guess there is nothing I can do about the plastic locking mechanism except have a couple of small c-clamps ready (which I'll put into my supplies now)
I'll definitely check the brackets on the wall of the camper though!

Thanks again
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:06pm
Likewise, I will be prepared now in case one or both of them fail.

As for the brackets, I do not leave the awning fully extended if I anticipate any significant wind. Another trick I have used is to take two containers (large plastic coffee containers work well). Take stainless steel eye bolts at least half as long as the containers are deep , nuts, and fender washers. Also, a bag of all in one concrete mix (brand doesn't matter).

Cut a hole the diameter of the eye bolt in each container lid. Stick one eye bolt through each hole. Thread one nut onto each eye bolt close to the end. Place a fender washer on the bolt, then another nut. Tighten them securely.

Mix the concrete according to package directions. Pour enough concrete into each container to almost fill it. Then stick the eye bolt into the concrete and place the lid on the container. The lid will keep the eye bolt in position as the concrete hardens. Let the concrete cure.

You now have some weights. Take a length of rope. Tie one end to the eye bolt. Loop the rope over the end of the arm where it attaches to the awning. Tie the rope, preferably with a tautline hitch which is adjustable and easily removed when you need to retract the awning. This will add a lot of wind resistance to your awning. They are also good for easy-up type shelters when you can't pound stakes into the ground.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Kup-Pod

thanks for the details, I guess there is nothing I can do about the plastic locking mechanism except have a couple of small c-clamps ready (which I'll put into my supplies now)
I'll definitely check the brackets on the wall of the camper though!

Thanks again

NP Kup-Pod, I only posted this information in hopes that it helps others who may run into the same problem. Hopefully you never have to deal with this issue with your awning support arms. If you have had the problem then I strongly suggest you call Lippert and talk to their Warranty Department and express that you have faulty product due to a bad design or manufacture defect and you'll be glad to supply them with documented proof as with photos. Even if your well past the warranty date they, Lippert, should have Thule replace the defective product.

As my mother always told me it pays to complain if you can back it with facts. Big smile

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Likewise, I will be prepared now in case one or both of them fail.

As for the brackets, I do not leave the awning fully extended if I anticipate any significant wind. Another trick I have used is to take two containers (large plastic coffee containers work well). Take stainless steel eye bolts at least half as long as the containers are deep , nuts, and fender washers. Also, a bag of all in one concrete mix (brand doesn't matter).

Not a bad idea StephenH and your idea will absolutely work but why go through the hassle of dragging those cement filled coffee cans around taking up space and adding weight to your load? Your awning should come with four metal stakes and by chance you don't have them buy some at a camping supply. I usually extend my awning fully, unless there is high wind with bad weather, then take the awning support legs and extend them down vertically to the ground. I carry a combination hammer/hatchet, which I think was made for laying down wood roofing shingles, and drive one stake in each of of the foot holes in the awning support legs. I carry two nylon ropes that I made up that I tie around the end of the awning near where your support legs fit in then extend that rope and secure it to the ground with other two awning stakes. I like simple solutions and it works every time! Wink

wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 7:35pm
Why drag them around? I have been in places where the thin, metal stakes that came with the awning don't penetrate rocky ground or concrete very well. They also don't do much good in sand.

If I were to use them with the legs set vertical, I would likely still use the weights as well as the stakes. Those thin stakes don't provide much resistance. Of course, the best way to deal with wind is to retract the awning, but if I want to leave it out at least part way, the weights are a good method of making sure it will be there even if there is some wind.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Buckeye View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:05am
Are any of you having difficulty tightening up the awning when retracting? Mine isn't really tight, leaving a gap near where the awning tool inserts to retract/open the awning. I find getting the tool extracted is also a pain...any suggestions?
Craig-retired teacher of the blind
Carol-retired legal admin asst
Spot and Sam-the miscreant Shih-tzus
"Politically incorrect with no real changes expected...”

Former 2017 Rpod 180
F150 5.0 4x4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>