R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Riser/Lift Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Riser/Lift Kit
    Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm
I have determined that, in my opinion the new 195 model is to low to the ground. I mostly began thinking this because of the height of the black tank gate, and drain tube. With the camper sitting level, I measured about 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 inches from the pavement to the bottom of the drain tube. I was camping last week in the white mountains and had a large pull thru site. When it was time to leave, I hitched up and began to look at my exit strategy. I was on a bit of a small berm, and the site dropped down about a foot to the road. It was a semi gradual drop, but nothing extreme. Do to my prior thoughts about the drain tube being low, I was very watchful of everything as I exited. As I inched forward it began to become clear the drain tube was not going to clear the ground. I went as far as I could go, stopped and got out of the truck. I hadn't noticed that my front stabs were already dug in pretty good. Luckily it was beach sand, and it plowed out of the way somewhat easily. I've been in this type of situation before with my 172 and was always ok, and only once I came really close, but it was an extreme height change. I think the 195 might have a design flaw. I think the span between the axle and the tongue might be to long, for the height they have given. I have definitely heard of people damaging a stab on extreme slopes, but this small drop should have been no problem. Thousands of campers have traversed that exact spot before me. I have contacted Forest River, and supplied them photos of the height of the drain tube. I have also told them I want them to pay for an axle riser lift kit to raise the camper. Although I hate to raise my overall height, I don't see any other way. Any other 195'ers seeing this issue? Any idea if raising it is NOT recommended? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 4:02pm
I did a quick calculation on the clearance angle of the camper. I measured from the center of the axle to the front edge of the camper, right were the stab is, I did not include any of the tongue length. It measured 10 foot 8 inch. I then measured from the pavement to the bottom of the frame. It measures 12 inches, this is all measured with the camper basically dead level, well within 1/2 if you check front and back with a tape measure. So if you calculate the angle the camper would need to be at before it hits the ground, it would be 5.3 degrees for the frame to hit the ground. Now, remember that I have measured to the frame, not the bottom of the fully cranked up stab. I'm guessing it sticks down 4 inches (probably more) when fully retracted. so NOW the height of side opposite will be only 8 inches. so when you run this calculation, the camper will hit the ground at only a 3.5 degree drop off.  The drain tube is even lower than that, but I wanted to run the numbers to the front edge. This seems like an incredibly small amount of land deviation that my camper cannot traverse without bottoming out. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2019 at 4:17pm
I went through 8 years bending, unbending, rebending my rear stabs on my 2011 177.  It got to the point they hardly worked anymore through all the bending and unbending; the metal was fatigued.  Finally last year I got smart, paid the 150 bucks for the kit from FR and got 2 new stabs off Amazon and also a 2-step unit to easily get in and out w/o wrecking my DW artificial knee.  Should have done this years ago.  No more scraping on my asphalt drive when entering/exiting.  No more plowing my uneven back yard (we have 20 acres) when moving the 177 into the horse barn when storing.  YES!!!! And the time involved:  1 hour to do the riser kit using basic tools and 2 floor jacks; 1.5 hours changing out the 2 rear stabs; and about 2.5 hours to make the 2 step unit fit under the doorway so that it looked good and was stable.  As I am only 18 feet front to rear, the potential for dragging your feet or drain tube will be many times worse with the 195 which is 50 inches longer, wow!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 6:37am
I looked at the 195 and came to the same conclusion.  My 179 has the risers with 14 inch tires and are needed to clear my driveway entry and I have moved the rear stabilizer jacks forward as much as possible.  Also installed double steps.

I asked the sales guy about risers for the 195 and he said yes they can be installed.  Sounds like even small variations in ground elevation will present problems.  Thanks for the work up.
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:42pm
If you do decide to 'lift' your unit, please think about the additional amount of force that will be applied to the frame, that is already marginally close to handling what is already there.

I have learned far too much due to my frame failure (fractured), it's scares me..

I would suggest two things in the process:
First; re-enforce the frame at the point of axle connection. It has been suggested that I add a 4ft channel (being 2ft forward & aft) of the connecting point. Think I'll probably go longer, but yet to be determined.

Secondly; re-enforce the the axle. The axle supports are already too far inboard and with this additional force now being applied, it makes sense to do so.

I'm hoping my Dealer can figure out how to fix my situation under my extended warranty. If it comes back, fixed or not, I'll be re-enforcing, lifting and much more..

My two cents and worth each penny.  
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 4:00pm
I added SAVAJACKS to rear, simple and easy fix and makes them easily removeable.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Secondly; re-enforce the the axle. The axle supports are already too far inboard and with this additional force now being applied, it makes sense to do so.

The 195 frame is wider so the inboard axle supports aren't as much of a problem. But otherwise your concerns are well founded considering that the 195 is quite a bit heavier and longer than the other rpods. I'm wondering if the same frame rails are being used on the 195 as on the smaller trailers. Anyone with one care to measure it? They are 2x4x0.1 inch tubes on the others. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
finder9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:17am
Same -- 2X4. 
Jack
2017 Rpod 179
2015 Dodge Ram
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:22am
Originally posted by finder9

Same -- 2X4. 

Thickness is a major player in this? Can you measure this please?
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

If you do decide to 'lift' your unit, please think about the additional amount of force that will be applied to the frame, that is already marginally close to handling what is already there.

I have learned far too much due to my frame failure (fractured), it's scares me..

I would suggest two things in the process:
First; re-enforce the frame at the point of axle connection. It has been suggested that I add a 4ft channel (being 2ft forward & aft) of the connecting point. Think I'll probably go longer, but yet to be determined.

I'm hoping my Dealer can figure out how to fix my situation under my extended warranty. If it comes back, fixed or not, I'll be re-enforcing, lifting and much more..

My two cents and worth each penny.  

I’m no engineer, but I’m a curious how raising the height would add more force?  Perhaps a smidge of downforce (original height times 1.X where X equals additional height?) but I wouldn’t think it was even measurable.  
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>