R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrid tied solar panel mount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grid tied solar panel mount
    Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by 0ttr

thanks for the posts.  Yeah, I'm not going flexible solar as I've seen one too many videos and other posts raising concerns, though I've seen rpods with them.   Besides, a grid-tied approach is cheaper per watt.
I was thinking about putting it towards the front part of the roof.   I don't have room in the back unless it angles down slightly which would would have the aerodynamic effect of putting on a drag chute, in my mind.    If it is in the front, even if it angles down a bit, then that's a bit more like an air dam.   Of course, it will catch bugs more, but I think that's a fair tradeoff.

If you put it on the front tilted up and back a bit you might want to start it close to the roof and add a little fairing to the leading edge. I’m thinking about removing the a/c and tv antenna and putting 3 modules up there with the first one tilted up and back and the other two mounted horizontally on top of the plumbing vents and fantastic fan. 1kw rpod solar array!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 3:38pm
I have a hard 130w panel that works great. Would I mount it to my camper... no.

Stowage is the issue with my panel. I've looked into 100w units and see the sizing is better to stow. Maybe two of this would suit me better.

I mentioned Flexible mainly due to stowing away and the price is coming down to being comparable to hard panels. Would I mount them, or mount a hard panel, probably not. Don't like the idea of parking in the sun.

I'll lean on Offgrid to voice costs vs. duration of hard side to flexible. Right now I can buy either for around a dollar a watt, puts them close to par for cost.

For me, if mounted, I would double (maybe triple) my wattage so I still don't have to park directly in the sun.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by 0ttr

thanks for the posts.  Yeah, I'm not going flexible solar as I've seen one too many videos and other posts raising concerns, though I've seen rpods with them.   Besides, a grid-tied approach is cheaper per watt.
I was thinking about putting it towards the front part of the roof.   I don't have room in the back unless it angles down slightly which would would have the aerodynamic effect of putting on a drag chute, in my mind.    If it is in the front, even if it angles down a bit, then that's a bit more like an air dam.   Of course, it will catch bugs more, but I think that's a fair tradeoff.

If you put it on the front tilted up and back a bit you might want to start it close to the roof and add a little fairing to the leading edge. I’m thinking about removing the a/c and tv antenna and putting 3 modules up there with the first one tilted up and back and the other two mounted horizontally on top of the plumbing vents and fantastic fan. 1kw rpod solar array!

A 1KW array? What the heck are you trying to power? Can the Pod handle the extra weight of the Batteries of such a system? Oh My!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

\

A 1KW array? What the heck are you trying to power? Can the Pod handle the extra weight of the Batteries of such a system? Oh My!

The holy grail of boondockers: off grid a/cThumbs Up

I want to install a high efficiency mini split condernser where the batteries are now and the evaporator would go above the head end of the bed in the 179. That will not only clear the roof for solar but will also reduce the electrical load of the a/c by nearly 50%, RV roof airs are not shall we say state of the art units. Not to mention the noise that will go away, the minisplits are whisper quiet. 

There is no way to carry enough capacity of lead acid batteries in an rPod, you are absolutely correct on that point. So, I would need to install a lithium pack. Probably I'll use a salvage Tesla auto battery. They are 24V and 5kWh and are pretty reasonable on eBay. They only weight about 50 lbs so I would save weight over the dual lead acid batteries I have now and give about 4x the useful capacity. 

My calcs suggest that that and a 1kW solar array should get me through about 12 hours of nighttime (not daytime) a/c use, we don't usually use the a/c in the daytime anyway because we're outside most of the time. I'll need a 24Vdc to 120Vac inverter for the a/c and a 24V to 12V dc dc converter to run the existing 12V trailer loads. 

Anyway, that's my basic plan, we'll see how it all works out. Ying Yang

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:35pm
I've been out for almost 3 weeks now and finding out what I'm happy with, and what I'm not happy with. 

The main thing I am happy with is the 200 watt solar power supply on/in my pickup that I plug the pod into. 

The thing I am least happy with is trying to keep the trailer in the sun for the 150 watt solar it provides. 

I have finally emptied the 12v compressor freezer and now using it for dry storage and back to only using the dometic absorption fridge for food, drink, and ice. 

That 12v compressor fridge (when in freeze mode) is a power hog, relatively speaking, meaning that with my smallish total solar, and larger additional other loads (vent fan, ham radio, laptop, ebike) and all these damn trees, I have to run the small genset for a couple of hours just about every morning.

In fact I moved the trailer again after arriving (set up twice) to gain more solar, but the comfort level went WAY down because of the lack of all-day shade where I am now. Of course, over in the shade, the comfort level was higher but the solar production suffered, which meant even MORE genset run-time. 

I think I will rely more on propane power to cool what remains of my perishable food provisions and 
possibly back-track on 12v compressor fridges...for now anyway.

I like the minisplit A/C idea but I mostly camp in cooler areas in the fall and spring, and warmer areas in the winter, so what little A/C I need, the loud as hell Champion 3500 genset will suffice. In the mid summer I use hookups at state parks in NM for $4 per 24 hours...a bargain....or free hookups in several locations in the Texas Panhandle, and I can choose shady spots and run the A/C all dang day if I need to!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:23pm
I agree, it sounds like its not worth converting to a compressor based electric fridge. Even though the absorption fridge is horribly inefficient it uses such a dense energy source it doesn't matter. The cruising sailboat folks that use electric fridges use most of their solar output for that but they have a good reason, propane can be pretty dangerous on a boat. 

For me, I either camp on the beach here on the OBX where it is hot, humid, and (generally) sunny or in the mountains where its cool and shady. I don't need the a/c in the mountains and have direct sun on the beach. The National Seashore does not allow generators at night which is when I want the a/c, and only has a few hookups which are in high demand of course. In the mountains even a mostly shaded 1kw solar array should provide plenty of energy.  

That being said, I would still want to have a fossil fuel backup source no matter what. I'd like to try alternator charging of the 24V Tesla battery via dc/dc step up converters, that should solve the problem of not getting enough charging current from an idling engine in the TV. If I have a cloudy day at the beach I can run the TV in the late afternoon to top off the battery. 

My biggest concern about my plan is that the minisplit might not hold up to the vibration from travelling, we'll have to see. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 7:13am

[/QUOTE]
The holy grail of boondockers: off grid a/cThumbs Up

Probably I'll use a salvage Tesla auto battery. They are 24V and 5kWh and are pretty reasonable on eBay. They only weight about 50 lbs so I would save weight over the dual lead acid batteries I have now and give about 4x the useful capacity. 
Anyway, that's my basic plan, we'll see how it all works out. Ying Yang

[/QUOTE]

We'll, you'd be the guy to pull it off!

That is pretty decent pricing for lithium's. I'll be watching for which seller you buy from, and of course how they test out.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 9:14am
We'll see, but don't hold your breath for sure. I won't get to all this till late fall or winter because it will take my trailer down for quite some time and I want get some camping in first, for some life getting in the way of fun reasons haven't been able to get away at all yet this year.Thumbs Down
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 2:01pm
Here ya on that! Life getting in the way!

You know what's happening to me, mine is gone for the balance of the season.. 
Side project has been building a camper top for my truck. Something small for overnights, yet big enough to be comfortable. It may be my only camper to roll through the balance of this season...
Seems I may need to get serious on finishing...

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:16pm
In a fair world FR would provide you a loaner while they fix your trailer frame for you.Tongue

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>