R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrid tied solar panel mount

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grid tied solar panel mount
    Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:53pm
I've seen chatter about people putting a big grid-tied PV panel on their rpod, but has anyone actually done it?     I want to know how you mounted it.  I have thought of putting one on towards the front part of the roof but didn't want to do that without advice.

Thanks

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 6:36am
I haven't done it yet but I've sorted out how I plan to.

1: Measure the width of your rPod at the roofline, not counting the Keder rail. 

2. Get a 72 cell large format module with a length that is close (within 1/8 inch or so) of that width.  These are about 77-78 inches long and there are many available so when I looked there were several that would work. These will be in the range of 300-350 watts. You can often buy these on CL or eBay unused left over from projects very cheaply. 

3) Place the module on the roof and support it temporarily where and at the angle you want it to be mounted.

4) Cut two pieces of aluminum sheet (probably 0.125 thickness will be fine) to overlap the sides of the rPod by 1 inch and extend upwards to cover the end frames of the module. Remove the Keder rail where the aluminum sheet is going to be. Standing the module off an inch or two will help keep it and your roof cooler. 

5) Paint the aluminum black or other preferred color. 

5) Using self tapping fasteners attach the aluminum sheets tp the sides of the rPod. Get fasteners long enough to go through both walls of the 1 inch box tube framing along the tops of the walls of the rPod. The screw ttips will be inside the roof when installed.

6) Use SS self tapping fasteners to attach the module end frame to the aluminum sheets. 

This should be a very strong attachment technique since the screws will be in shear not tension so they cant pull out. And no roof holes! I think 4 fasteners at each interface should be fine, more wouldn't hurt,  

The drawback is you will lose the Keder rail in the area where the module is going to be mounted. I don;t use mine so its not a loss for me, if you do you might be able to shim out the Keder rail and put it back.

Standard grid tied modules are about 39 inches wide so you'll need to determine where you have enough room to place one. On my 179 the best place I found is behind the a/c.  

You will need an MPPT type charge controller to charge a 12V battery using these modules.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 1:01pm
Just me, yet if I were to roof mount, I'd go flexible panels. There are glues out there that will work (possibly 2 sided epoxy tape as well), but I've read of folks also fastening the leading edge. The self leveling sealant on all the edges, and I'd believe you'd be good to go.

Now, I won't mount my panels. Why?
* I don't want to have to park in the sun.
* You'll never reposition the trailer for best gain.
* I like wooded sites.
* More protrusions in the roof or wall for wiring.

I like my stand-alone panel. I can park where-ever and put the panel in the sun. I can turn it to optimize gain. Easy to clean.

What I don't like is it's big and harder to stow-away. I may go flex just because of the stowing issue. The costs of flex have come down to an affordable dollar. Some flex units bend easier than others so don't think their all the same. I watched a video you a guy testing an expensive flex against a cheap one and the cheap one was more flexible and out produced.

Just me and my cents! Worth each penny.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 6:52pm
The so called “flexible” solar modules aren’t, solar cells are fabricated on crystalline silicon wafers. I used to design and manufacture solar modules for a living. There are other issues with them besides solar cell breakage as well, you can do a search on this forum and elsewhere and see what those are.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The so called “flexible” solar modules aren’t, solar cells are fabricated on crystalline silicon wafers. I used to design and manufacture solar modules for a living. There are other issues with them besides solar cell breakage as well, you can do a search on this forum and elsewhere and see what those are.

I will lean towards you knowledge. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:03pm
Flexible panels are fine as long as you accept their very short lifespan...a couple of years or so.

Rigid panels can last decades.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:08pm

Standing the module off an inch or two will help keep it and your roof cooler. 

Hey you like to pick apart the details of my posts, well paybacks are heck.

Actually, the roof directly under the panels is hotter, not cooler.

If the panel was mounted a few feet up, then the shade might help, but at a distance of a few inches, the heat radiated off the bottom of the panel heats up the roof surface quite a bit.

Believe it.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Standing the module off an inch or two will help keep it and your roof cooler. 

Hey you like to pick apart the details of my posts, well paybacks are heck.

Actually, the roof directly under the panels is hotter, not cooler.

If the panel was mounted a few feet up, then the shade might help, but at a distance of a few inches, the heat radiated off the bottom of the panel heats up the roof surface quite a bit.

Believe it.

I'm not interested in the "payback" thing, nor do I intend to simply "believe" someone's statement in my professional area of expertise. If you want to make a statement in your area of expertise that is certainly another story. 

I am suggesting steps for mounting a grid tie module on an rpod. In one step I'm recommending a standoff mount of an inch or two rather than direct surface mounting, which is the only other alternative on an RV. There is no practical way to place the module a few feet above the roof. So of course the roof under the module is going to be hotter than if the module wasn't there, since it is a light colored roof and the module is designed to absorb as much light as possible. But it will be much hotter if its a direct mount. 

If you have another alternative for Ottr please feel free to suggest it.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
0ttr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 9:24am
thanks for the posts.  Yeah, I'm not going flexible solar as I've seen one too many videos and other posts raising concerns, though I've seen rpods with them.   Besides, a grid-tied approach is cheaper per watt.

I was thinking about putting it towards the front part of the roof.   I don't have room in the back unless it angles down slightly which would would have the aerodynamic effect of putting on a drag chute, in my mind.    If it is in the front, even if it angles down a bit, then that's a bit more like an air dam.   Of course, it will catch bugs more, but I think that's a fair tradeoff.

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 12:51pm
We have a flexible 100W panel that works quite nicely.  I mount it to the roof of our Pod fore and aft, depending on the sun, or put it on the top of the camper shell on my truck.  If none of that has sun, I put it in a sunny spot on the ground.  Though the likely lifespan of a flexible panel is not that of a rigid panel, we're getting goo service rom ours.  I store it in a padded bag under the bed when not in use.  

To mount the panel to either the truck or our Pod I use braided cord and small line cleats which are attached to the bottom perimeter of our pod and to the camper shell.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>