R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeasured wattage of 'pod appliances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measured wattage of 'pod appliances
    Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 10:04pm

I took wattage measurements of various appliances in the 'pod.  What I was using to measure is only accurate to the nearest 100 watts (a heavy-duty inverter I have installed at home with a digital readout), but it can handle the startup surge of the A/C and converter which a Kill-A-Watt couldn't.  I don't have a clamp-on ammeter or shunt which would be much more accurate, but this is "good enough".

First number is Wh, the second is VA.

Converter only, battery fully charged: no measurement (so something less than 100 watts)

A/C, fan and compressor running: 1000/1100

Water heater, electric element: 1300/1300

Fridge, in AC mode: 200/200

Microwave: 1700/1800

Every light on: 200/400

Exhaust fan, low: no measurement

Exhaust fan, medium: 100/100

Exhaust fan, high: 100/100

Water pump: 100/200

I forgot to measure the microwave's convection mode, and while I measured the A/C with the fan only I forgot to write it down.  I didn't try to measure the television since it is probably less than 30 watts.  Obviously the lack of accuracy prevented good numbers on the exhaust fan - someone found the factory-claimed amps for the 3 settings a while ago.  Some things are running through the converter (lights, fan, pump) so there are conversion losses as part of the numbers.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 1:01am
Very cool

popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 10:30am
Anyone have any idea what the initial surge is when the Air Conditioning compressor kicks on?

My Yamaha EF2000iSHC generator drops off line when this happens.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 1:31pm
My 6kw (12kw surge) inverter dropped out a few times when I plugged in the 'pod, so the converter has a big surge.  It didn't always happen when I tried several times in a row so I'm guessing it has some big capacitors that get discharged fairly quickly but not immediately.

I did look for the surge on the A/C, I had my kid turn it on while I stared at the readout but it didn't respond quickly enough to give me a measurement.  Typically you can expect 2 to 4 times the running wattage.
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:17pm
I was told not to never try to start up the AC without at least 30 amp service so I have not but asking around I get various advice conflicts. What is the scoop on 20 amp service running the AC? It just seems strange to me that Forest River would put an AC in these units that you cannot use connected to typical home circuits.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 2:46pm
I've run less-efficent A/Cs from a 15 amp outlet (many others have too) w/o a problem.  The unit on the 'pod seems to be very efficient @ only 1000 watts while running, which is well below the rating for a 15 amp outlet (1800 watts).  You could even turn on every light and run the pump.  Just don't use the microwave or electric element on the water heater at the same time as the A/C.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by popgoesweasel

Anyone have any idea what the initial surge is when the Air Conditioning compressor kicks on?

My Yamaha EF2000iSHC generator drops off line when this happens.

I measured the A/C's power usage a while ago using my blueplanet energy meter.  It peaked at 10.5 amps / 1210 watts.

But, like you, I tried unsuccessfully to run the A/C with a 2000 watt generator; in my case, a brand new Champion 73552i.  The genny simply couldn't handle the ramp-up of power.  I was able to get it to work by also plugging in a 500 watt shop light (to keep the genny's idle high), but that's not much of a long-term solution.  I was unhappy with the Champion for other reasons as well (much louder than I thought reasonable under load, quite smelly in operation) and returned it to Costco two days after I purchased it.

Instead, I bought a Hyundai 2000si generator (2200 watts peak, 2000 watts continuous), and am quite happy with it: it runs the A/C without problem, its quiet in operation, and there's very little exhaust smell.  This is the second Hyundai generator I've owned.  I had a 1000si which I used with our last trailer, a pop-up, for several trouble-free years.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 9:42pm
I've heard of the same problem with other mechanical-governor gensets - with an initial load being the only solution like you found.  Interesting that the inverter-based Hyundai could handle the surge.  Assuming it has a low-idle (eco) mode, did you have that turned off?
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by techntrek

Assuming it has a low-idle (eco) mode, did you have that turned off?

Yes, it was turned off.  In ECO mode, the generator would cut out when the A/C kicked in.

I also happened to have my sound meter handy Smile

All measures of the Hyundai 2000si were taken from the same spot, 15 feet from the front of the generator (exhaust pointed the other way), 15 feet from the r-pod's A/C (i.e. I was between the generator and r-pod), with no obstructions in front of, behind or around the generator or r-pod, 20 second average:

- 50 db - at idle, no load (r-pod not plugged in), ECO mode on
- 54 db - under load, A/C not on, pod plugged in (battery full not charging, microwave & DVD plugged in but not turned on, fridge and water heater on propane), ECO mode off
- 59 db - under load, A/C running, pod plugged in (battery full not charging, microwave & DVD plugged in but not turned on, fridge and water heater on propane), ECO mode off
- 58 db - under load, A/C running, pod plugged in (battery full not charging, microwave & DVD plugged in but not turned on, fridge and water heater on propane), ECO mode on (turned on after A/C had started)

The last one was just a curiosity as it won't work in a practical application (well... it may work if I were to install a start capacitor on the A/C).  Note: the running A/C will have artificially inflated the sound level; unfortunately, I was at a dry site and couldn't run comparisons on mains electricity.

For comparison, the Champion 73552i measured (again, from 15 feet)
- 54 db - at idle, no load (r-pod not plugged in), ECO mode on
- 56 db - at idle, no load (r-pod not plugged in), ECO mode off
- 59 db - 500 watt shop light plugged in, ECO mode off
- 67 db - 500 watt shop light plugged in, A/C running, pod plugged in (battery full not charging, microwave & DVD plugged in but not turned on, fridge and water heater off), ECO mode off
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:12am
Any one have luck running the AC with other generators other than the Hyundai HY2000i, with out going to a 3000 Benny?
Ready to pod around!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>