R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPod Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pod Mod
    Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 8:50pm
After lots of great input in the Do I want front stabilizers? thread, I decided to install them on my 171 this past weekend.  My dealer was running a 15% off on all in-stock items sale, so that and an unexpectedly sunny and warm November day was all that was needed to push me to do the mod.

Of course, this podmod is really only applicable for 2009 r-pods, as the 2010 came from the factory with front stabilizers. since Forest River began delivering r-pods with front stabilizers in the middle of the 2010 run, this podmod isn't applicable for everyone.

I chose 17" Bal Light Trailer Stabilizing jacks - they're normally used on tent trailers and the like, but as r-pods weigh about the same as an average-sized tent trailer, I thought the Bal would be a good choice.

Inside the box I found the two stabilizing jacks, a removable crank handle and a bag of hardware (six self-tapping screws and lockwashers).

Figuring out where to mount the stabilizers was the most difficult part of the install.  There are several wires running up the street side of the r-pod, and several (I counted three) ground points screwed into the underside of the frame.  I was stymied for a while, as I thought that the stabilizer had to be against either the frame or a crossmember, but I re-read the instructions and saw that this wasn't a requirement.  In the end, I decided to run them diagonally across the corners of the frame.

Each stabilizer is held on with three screws (provided).  It was a simple matter of measuring, drilling holes and screwing in the screws.  Sorry, I didn't take any pictures.  You all know how to measure, drill and screw anyway.

In the end, I'm quite pleased with the install:

I did have one additional task, tho.  Being "creative" (i.e. lazy), several months ago, I bought a drill/driver to raise and lower the rear stabilizers.  Its just a small 7.2v lithium-ion drill/driver, but its powerful enough for the stabilizers and I can recharge it anywhere from the trailer's battery using a power adapter.  Unfortunately, the stock rear stabillizers use a different socket than the fronts, so, using an angle grinder on an old spark plug socket I had laying around, I made a flanged a flanged socket (looks like the socket jenie) to raise/lower the front Bal stabilizers.

Post Reply Post Reply