Topic ClosedLet's talk MPGs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's talk MPGs
    Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 9:33am

I have towed the R-pod with 5 different vehicles in the last year and half and found many different things.  The one item that seemed to stay the same was the average MPG on the trailer.  The differences was how hard the engine worked to get me there.  I have pulled with a Jeep Liberty (6cyl), Chevy Trailblazer (6cyl), Ford Ranger (4cyl – 5 Speed Manual), Dodge Dakota (6cyl) and now a Dodge Ram 1500 (8cyl).  All of them could tow it according to weight but some just worked harder.  Only reason for switching so many times was jeep was totaled, Trailblazer engine keeps popping a fan clutch (4 in the last year but replaced under warranty), Ranger Traded in for Dodge Ram, and the Dakota was a test to see how it pulled but then found a great Ram.

The Rpod is a light-weight Trailer that many vehicles can pull but you still have the weight to move.  I'm not too worried about the MPG I get as I look at what I have and where I can go with it.  Much cheaper to travel with the R-pod than staying in hotels and eating out all the time. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 2:20pm
Thanks for saying and affirming what I am trying to convey.  The size of the TV/engine really doens't matter (within reason) - if all a person looks at is miles per gallon.  There seems to be no advantage to having a small TV.  However, with the larger TV/ engine, you gain a lot of performance.  A small TV operates at or near it's capacity.  The large TV can handle challenges (hills, wind, etc) with ease, but milage will likely drop somewhat below the 10-12mpg that seems to be what most get, when using the extra performance.

Don't go out and buy a large engine thinking it will get better mpg while towing.  The reason to buy the larger tow vehicle is because you want better performance, towing ease & safety, and longevity of the life of the engine and drivetrain.

Conversely, don't buy a small TV thinking it will save money.  It will be straining it's guts out trying to get the load down the road, keep up with traffic and, road/wind challenges.

I may be burned at the stake for saying this but, the Pod is an 18' travel trailer and it "pulls" just about like any other 18' travel trailer.  The lightweight advantage seems to be negated by aero forces above 50mph.   As long as persons understand this and make an informed decision based on it, this is good.   
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 3:16pm
I pulled my 177 up to Lake Superior last week and i filled the tank up just before going down Duluth hill and i had to drive 45 mph cause of construction for 20 miles then another 35 miles of since drive. I got 16.3 on that drive but before i got 12.9 driving 58 mph at 2500 rpm with a 3.8 Tc with a 20 mph tail wind. I believe that speed is the most important factor unless you are in mountains. I agree with Dixie's buddy. Problem is that at 45 mph on regular roads you will not make a lot of friends.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by cane2

I pulled my 177 up to Lake Superior last week and i filled the tank up just before going down Duluth hill and i had to drive 45 mph cause of construction for 20 miles then another 35 miles of since drive. I got 16.3 on that drive but before i got 12.9 driving 58 mph at 2500 rpm with a 3.8 Tc with a 20 mph tail wind. I believe that speed is the most important factor unless you are in mountains. I agree with Dixie's buddy. Problem is that at 45 mph on regular roads you will not make a lot of friends.
Thanks to you also, cane2!  I had a simlar experience comming back from the Rocky's last year.  On one tankful thru Illinois (flat) I got 17mpg doing about 65mph.  I had a contant brisk tail wind of (est.) of 20-30 mph.  The air "acted" as though I was only driving about 35-45mph.  The air was not "pushing" me, as I was still outrunning it by the above numbers.

The Pod seems to act very well below 50mph.  Something about the areo above that speed just ruins any advantage of the lighter weight.  If FR could come up with a solution for this (maybe push that "critical speed" up to 70mph)....if they think they're selling a lot of Pods now...look out!  There would be mobs of eager buyers pushing and shoving their way into the dealers to buy a fully equipped TT that gets 15-17mpg and gets , at least, reasonable performance with a smaller TV.  I really believe aero is the problem and it will take an aero solution.  Your mpg and rpms  (V6-yes?) sounds completely in line with my theory (small engine, bigger engine, bigger(still) engine.  Again, thanks.

PS - More than one person showed me that I was "number 1" when I was strggling to do 50mph on a 75mph highway!  LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 6:54am
To sum up (and bail out on this subject) I think the following can be said about fuel milage/TVs:

1. If you want to get great mpgs on your camping experiences - buy a Prius or Civic and throw a pup tent in the back.

2. If want camp in a Pod (or any 18-20' TT), you'll need to have something with a tow cap. in excess of 3000lbs. 

3. If you choose option 2 (above), most any vehicle you choose (in this class) will get about 10-12mpg towing and 20-ish when not towing.  Forget mpgs (they are all about the same) - think performance.  What kind of traveling experience to you want? 

4. I have intentionally avoided diesels, as I feel they are in a whole nuther class of TV.  Also, I don't know if I spell the word "diesel" corrrectly.  It is "i" before "e" except in Budweiser...isn't it?  This could be the topic of another thread; 24 hours in a day, 24 bottles in case.....coincidence or by design?

5. Some debate topics will rage on forever; Ford or Chevy, sweet or unsweetened tea, Ginger or Mary Ann?  It comes down to personal situations/preferences.  Does anyone know if they show "Gilligan's Island" on Hulu?  LOL  Till next time.......

PS - The answer is Mary Ann!
olphart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 7:16am
The thing that made my decision to opt for a Toyota Sienna over the Durango that I nearly bought, was the realization that I'm not pulling my pod all the time.  So, while getting the same mpg as most, I average in the high twenties, (28 - 29), most of the time, plus the Sienna has little trouble with the 171

James & Nancy
Rpod 171 "Launch Pod"
04 Sienna LE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123