R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAntenba Red light will not go off.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenba Red light will not go off.
    Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Babysaph

The red light I am talking about is on the black rabbit eared antenna on top of the camoer. I know it is drawing current. 
I did not know there is a light on the antenna; at least I've never seen it. Either way, the amplifier is turned on/off by the little switch behind the TV. If you turn off the amplifier, the antenna light should go off.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 8:59am
The New QAV antennae " rabbit ears" has a red light on it up on the roof. It turns on when the booster is on. Saph, Like they've said, look behind the T.V., you should see what looks like the same cable as your cable t.v. at home. Follow that wire to where it connects to the wall. there will be a tiny button there, it should ALSO have a red light. Push the button till the light goes off. That is the antennae booster button you want to turn on if you watch t.v., or listen to the radio. Then turn it off when your done, it does infact kill the battery.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:11pm
Our Rpod is a 2018 180.
I seem to be the only one besides the original poster that has the same problem of the antenna red light on the roof not turning off with the booster switch in the off position.  The only thing I could do to get that antenna light to turn off was to pull the 12 volt fuse that powers the Stereo.  That fuse also powers the bathroom lights so is not a good remedy for the problem.

There are 4 male coax connections on the back of the booster switch plate.  There are three coax cables attached to the back side of the TV booster switch.  One black, one red, and one gray.

I disconnected the black coax and the red light on the antenna stayed on.  I disconnected the gray coax and the red light on the antenna stayed off with the booster switch in the off position and with it in the on position.  I then connected it to the 4th male coax connection you can see between the black and the gray cables.  The red light on the roof antenna stay off with the booster switch in both the off and in the on position.

I have no idea what that gray coax does besides powering the red light on the antenna.  Does anyone know?

Here's three photos.

Antenna with red light on the roof.

Booster switch inside the Rpod.

Back side of the booster switch plate.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:20pm
Right where the red light is, there is a push button. That is the on off switch. You tried pushing the tiny button? The red light in the picture should go off, and the roof light will also go off. Oh and btw, I would consider updating your lap sealant, it appears to be not sealing the area.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Right where the red light is, there is a push button. That is the on off switch. You tried pushing the tiny button? The red light in the picture should go off, and the roof light will also go off. Oh and btw, I would consider updating your lap sealant, it appears to be not sealing the area.

I pushed the tiny button to turn off the booster.  The red light in the photo beside the booster switch went off.  The red light on the antenna did not go off.  The sealant if fine.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:47pm
I suspect that the wrong cable is going to the antenna _OR_ the amplifier may be defective.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:26pm
OR it was not wired through the switch.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by StephenH

OR it was not wired through the switch.

Thanks for the idea Steven.

I have used the TV the one and only time we were hooked up to AC power for a few days.  We had the inside antenna booster switch turned on for that.  It has been turned off for the rest of our trips that were all boon-docking with no hookups.  The battery didn't run down after 4 days.

Trying to figure out if it is wired wrong is more than I'm comfortable with tackling, so I'm not going to worry about the red light on the antenna staying on. 
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:58pm
Greetings 
The coax connector on the TV side of the cover is bad.  It's been crushed instead of crimped.  I'd buy another coax to replace it.  

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by crankster78

Greetings 
The coax connector on the TV side of the cover is bad.  It's been crushed instead of crimped.  I'd buy another coax to replace it.  

Crankster78

Thanks for the heads up on the crushed coax connector Crankster.  It works fine but I'll go ahead and replace it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>