R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTBC works intermittently

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBC works intermittently
    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:19am
Got a new Tundra with factory TBC.  The signal from trailer to truck seems to be cutting in and out.  My dash lights up a warning sign a few times a minute "trailer disconnected", then it senses the Pod again and all is well.  the Pod brakes work when the truck knows it's there.  I'm assuming there is a short or poor ground on the Pod.  Assuming, because the truck is new.  I cleaned the contacts on the TV and Pod.  
I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on where to look for the possible bad connection.  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:52pm
Most likely places for a bad connection are the connector itself and the crummy insulation displacement connectors FR used to connect the brake wires. The latter are notorious for coming loose or going open. There were 6 of these connectors on my pod, two for each brake magnet and two more to connect the wires going to the curb side from the street side. Whether they’re your problem or not I suggest changing them out for nice solid butt splice connectors with self sealing heat shrink tubing over them.

If you don’t see anything obviously loose and you have a multimeter you can put it on ohms scale and measure the resistance to the two brake magnets. Each one should be around 3-4 ohms and since they are connected in parallel they should have a combined resistance of about 1.5-2 ohms. If you controller sees a higher resistance it will decide the brakes are disconnected and throw the error message you’re seeing.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Most likely places for a bad connection are the connector itself and the crummy insulation displacement connectors FR used to connect the brake wires. The latter are notorious for coming loose or going open. There were 6 of these connectors on my pod, two for each brake magnet and two more to connect the wires going to the curb side from the street side. Whether they’re your problem or not I suggest changing them out for nice solid butt splice connectors with self sealing heat shrink tubing over them.
After I read this about your R-pod, I (eventually) got out to inspect ours. Ours was built with waterproof (or at least water resistant) butt splice connectors. I'm thinking the displacement connectors are perhaps east coast only? Dunno, but still worth looking.

What happened to us (once) was the bargman connector was not fully seated. It caused several intermittent issues until we got with the program and plugged it in all the way, and made sure the weather cover engaged the tab on top of the plug.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:16am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

After I read this about your R-pod, I (eventually) got out to inspect ours. Ours was built with waterproof (or at least water resistant) butt splice connectors. I'm thinking the displacement connectors are perhaps east coast only? Dunno, but still worth looking.

Or maybe FR got enough complaints and problems from the insulation displacement connectors that they switched between 2015 and 2017. Hope so. Someone from the east with a 2017 or later trailer could probably answer that question. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:20am
+1 to GlueGuy, mine does this when connector is seated poorly.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 10:44am
We had a problem where one of our brake lights appeared to be burned out and I was thinking we needed to replace it. My husband got out his dielectric grease, cleaned out the plugs that connect the truck to the trailer and put in some of the dielectric grease and everything was working just fine. Nothing was wrong with the lights.  He does say you want to make sure you don’t drop the plug in the dirt because the grease will pick up dirt and you have another issue. I know that seems like a no-brainer, but putting it out there to remove all doubt... Just thought this might be a place to start the trouble-shooting process.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:05pm
GREATLY appreciate all the input.  Will be working on it this weekend. 

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 1nana2many

We had a problem where one of our brake lights appeared to be burned out and I was thinking we needed to replace it. My husband got out his dielectric grease, cleaned out the plugs that connect the truck to the trailer and put in some of the dielectric grease and everything was working just fine. Nothing was wrong with the lights.  He does say you want to make sure you don’t drop the plug in the dirt because the grease will pick up dirt and you have another issue. I know that seems like a no-brainer, but putting it out there to remove all doubt... Just thought this might be a place to start the trouble-shooting process.

+1 on the dielectric grease.  I've chased non-existent shorts from one end of the rig to the other only to end up finding out that a good physical connection at the Bargman doesn't mean a good electrical connection.  It's soooo much easier to start there!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 7:52am
Greetings
Oftentimes a intermittent problem is related to having a poor ground.  The plug in, is always suspect. I redid the brake connections and taped them out of the way.  If you dry camp in a field or drive down a rough trail, make sure the wiring underneath is tucked up good.  A little PM is good.

Crankster78

Crankster 78 R-179 2015
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:05pm
I Finally made it out Sunday ready to splice some wires.  They were all nicely connected with waterproof connections.  the dielectric grease was the ticket!  
As always, y'all's experience and input is GREATLY appreciated!  d
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>