R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRP190 Frame Damage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RP190 Frame Damage?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:22am
Great!

Re the ceiling strips, take a look at the video link, it shows the roof construction. You should have an inch thickness to play with, so if you use 1/2 or 5/8 staples or brads you should not penetrate the outer fiberglass layer. If you use an air stapler be sure to do some testing first elsewhere to get the pressure right. I’d suggest using some flexible adhesive as well when you reattach.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Geocleve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:21pm
I lucked out! Checked the frame and it’s level. The only damage was the rear brace where the stabilizers attach. Will probably have to bend the bumper back or weld a new bumper support. Still trying to figure out how to reattach the ceiling strips. Thinking about using staples, but worried I might pop one through the roof. Really appreciate all the input!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:22am
Originally posted by wthoms2000

Curious: what do the very flat exterior walls look like? No waviness?

Good luck!

I think that is a very good point regarding taking a close look at the walls of the trailer. The walls are stiffer than the steel frame so will try to support the load as the frame deflects. They are lightly constructed (check out this video) so they are probably going to show damage before the frame does. Look for both flatness and wrinkling on the exterior and also for the the interior and exterior wall surfaces becoming detached. Also, look for the bottom of the walls becoming detached (lifted) from the floor. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
wthoms2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:07am
Curious: what do the very flat exterior walls look like? No waviness?

Good luck!
Porta Poddy
Wil and Luz, Orange County, CA
2017.5 179 HRE
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
REDARC Brake Controller
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:37pm
No problem, as a retired engineer it helps me keep my brain exercised.

I'm optimistic for you, steel is very tolerant of deflection, and I don't think your rails were that much over stressed if any. You're far from the first person to forget and leave the rear jacks down while raising the tongue jack. 

Good luck and please keep us posted. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Geocleve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:15pm
I’ll be doing some measurements tomorrow. Thank you for taking the time to run the numbers!
Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 8:32pm
Since I have the rpod frame structural data set up in a spreadsheet I ran your case where you were basically supporting the trailer frame from the ends. Assuming your trailer weight was 3500 lbs and the trailer box itself doesn't add any support to the frame, I get a deflection (sag) of about 4 inches in the center and an bending stress about 20% over the design limit for steel and about 75% of ultimate yield stress. 

4 inches is a lot of deflection, so surprise that trim started popping off. Did you happen to notice the sag you were getting when you heard the popping noises? 

Bottom line is that you were most likely at or a bit  over the limits for how much stress you would want to put on an rPod frame. The good news is that steel deflects a lot and comes back straight until it reaches its yield point, which will occur somewhere around the stress you put on it. Once it yields it will hold a permanent sag, so, as furpod suggests, see if your frame is straight now or not. 

The finish materials that came loose did so because they were not able to deflect as much as the steel, but not being structural they can be reattached. 

Thanks for posting this because it should help make it clear to all of us why the leveling jacks are not intended to be used to actually take the weight of the trailer. Even if the jacks themselves can handle it the frame cannot. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Geocleve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 6:35pm
thank you!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 5:11pm
there is no way for anyone here, to help you there. Without actually being onsite to inspect the trailer.. we can only guess..

What I would do, is park the camper on level ground, and level it. With no stabes down, just chalked and level, use a measuring tape and string, pulled along the frame, to check for distortion or bends.
Geocleve View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 3:09pm
I need some advice on whether or not I might have damaged the frame on my rpod 190.
On our last camping trip I forgot to retract the stabilizer jacks on the rear of the camper before jacking up the front to install my e2 WD hitch bars. When I heard the frame popping, I stopped lifting the camper and later noticed that some of the interior roof furring strips had popped off the ceiling. They are easy to reattach, but I am worried that I might have done some serious damage to the frame. I am also noticing that the slide out is closing louder than usual too. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hoping I’m just being paranoid.
 Post Reply Post Reply