Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator for 189

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator for 189
    Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 9:57am
It seems to me, if you have to remove a normally small load to run the A/C on a 2000 watt generator, that it may not be able to run the A/C at higher altitudes.

Generators lose power at high elevations....so I wonder what the elevation is/was during this work-around?

I was camping at 9500 feet elevation a few weeks ago, and just to confirm it, I ran the roof air with my 3500/4000 watt Champion generator. There was a bit of a 'groan' when the compressor kicked on but everything ran just fine, including operating the microwave simultaneously.

I did not add the loads of the electric water heater element or the electric space heaters or electric counter-top burner, but the converter was powered on the entire time.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

That would do it. Turn off the main breaker for the converter, and the converter (AKA charger) should be off.

I thank you much sir. I will have to get around to trying that. I am currently busy making a new hanger system for the black tank drain pipe. I'm not waiting till it falls off going down the highway. Brand new 2020 and I need to crawl under and replace the worlds cheapest sewer pipe hanging design, using a strap that I wouldn't use to hang a toilet paper holder. They crack right on the bend because steel tends to fracture when it's bent, especially at 90 degrees, causing a weak point. Maybe people should u.p.s. them a piece of 1/8 thick stainless steel to put on their trailer when they order it.  I think if I buy again, I will not buy an r-pod if this idiotic system is still being used. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:20am
No doubt about it, FR needs to do something about the pipe hangars for both the black and gray tanks. In my observation, that seems to be one of the top bug-a-boos on R-pods.

However, I haven't really looked around to see what other makes do in this regard.

On a positive note, I've installed my own beefed up hangar, and we have not had an accident. Big smile
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 5:14pm
First, I don't think that charging circuit is a "small" load. Of course depending it's operational status. Secondly, numerous members have posted running their ACs with a 2K, all of which disable the charge circuit, and lastly 9000 feet is a bit difficult in TN, so I agree, not tried, but who in the heck needs an AC at 9000 feet:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 6:12pm
Well, sure, if the converter is charging then it is larger draw...but probably no more than about 5 amps or so on the 120v side, but that will taper down to less than a couple of amps as the battery becomes charged, tapering down even more when there are no 12v loads. But if your batteries are that low, then you probably will need to alternate the use of the roof air with battery charging. Hmm...sounds labor intensive. 

And yes, my test of the genset running the roof air and microwave was just that, a test. It was mild up there near Cloudcroft, and we were outside in the shade of those tall pine trees most of the day.

But, still, it can get pretty hot up there (or any high spot) if the conditions are just right. Anyway, the fact that the genset loses some power at high elevations will affect some campers, at least sometimes.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 6:27pm
Honestly I don't recall the amp draw of the charging circuit, as I do recall GlueGuy discussed it at one time awhile back. Could be wrong, but I think 5 Amps is low, I think it was more toward 8 Amps. But all in all I can run an AC off a 2K genset in my local and somewhat extended area. AND I'm not the only one who can do this.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:39pm
Understood....and it's a good solution for you, but might not work for others when camped at high elevations...just sayin...

Cool
Babysaph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 9:05pm
I can't imagine camping this time of year without being able to use the AC at night
Dr. J.R. Chambers II
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:12pm
If you camp in higher elevations and/or more northern latitudes it's doable. 

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:18pm
The amp draw of the converter is highly variable depending on the state of the batteries and other loads. Theoretically, the maximum draw on the typical R-pod converter is 45 amps on the 12V side. That translates to 4.5 amps on the 120VAC side. But if you aren't running a lot of 12V stuff, and the batteries only need a trickle charge, the load might only be 1 or 2 amps, which would be 0.1 or 0.2 amps on the 120VAC side.

So the bottom line is "it depends".

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>