FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Member - 195 - Event Date: 30 Jun 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New Member - 195
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm
New Member. Previous C-class owner.

Waited a year after considering the 179 but saw and fell in love with the 195 floorplans with half walk-around bed and separate shower toilet areas.

Purchased in Sacramento. I love the Costco member pricing--competitive, simple and no haggling. 2015 Toyota Highlander pulled trailer (in the mountains) with ease. I am looking to add: WD/Anti-Sway hitch setup and wireless rear camera.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:30pm
Welcome. 

But please be careful, just because a vehicle has enough power to pull a trailer doesn't mean its safe. Power is not the most important factor. 

Measure your actual tongue weight on the 195 fully loaded the way you plan to camp. The 2015 Highlander has a 500 lb tongue weight limit. My 179 is right at that which is the limit for my 2012 Highlander. A wdh does not increase the tongue weight capacity of a tow vehicle. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
flybri23 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:51pm
Thanks! I am loading and filling the tank to get the tongue weight before taking it in for the WDH install. I will see how close we are to see if we need a new tow vehicle.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:54pm
Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures with your RPod and make many great memories in the process. We have the 179 which we purchased in December, 2015. I have been looking at the 195, but it would be hard to give up our 179 with all the mods I have made to it. That walk-around bed is very attractive though as is the larger refrigerator, even if some countertop workspace is lost.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:57pm
Welcome and enjoy!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:34am
Originally posted by flybri23

Thanks! I am loading and filling the tank to get the tongue weight before taking it in for the WDH install. I will see how close we are to see if we need a new tow vehicle.

if you're towing with the fresh water tank full then I assume you're going to be boondocking or  staying  in undeveloped campsites, otherwise you should wait till you get there to fill the tank. A full fresh water tank is 250 lbs. Be sure you also fill the water heater, that's 50 lbs. If you're spending more than a day or two at an undeveloped site you will likely want a dual battery system, that's around 110-130 lbs depending on what you get. Most of the above weight will be on the tongue and none is included in the "official" rpod tongue weight. many folks also want a dueal propane setup (40 lbs). Then there's anything you put in the storage area, and unless FR is putting a better mattress in the 195 you'll likely want to upgrade that. The list goes on, you get the idea. I guess you'll be around 600 lbs on the tongue if you do most of the above. 

You should also check the GCVW, that total weight of the Highlander and rPod and compare that the the GCWVR (this rating should be on your Highlander door sticker). The 5000 lb tow rating assumes a very lightly loaded tow vehicle, typically just one skinny driver and nothing else. 

On the wdh, it needs to be able to handle redistribution of both the tongue weight and any weight in the tow vehicle behind the rear axle.  I would suggest at least a 1000 lb capacity wdh for the 195. You can always adjust the tension on the wdh bars to get the amount of weight redistribution you want so there really is no downside to having a 1000-1200 lb capacity hitch other than ride stiffness, which won't be a problem with that trailer the way it looks like you plan to load. i run a 1200 lb wdh and its fine with my 179 and Highlander. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:05am
Welcome to the group. I have a 195 as well, and I recommend the rear camera. I had the Furrion Vision S installed. I only had the rear camera installed, no side cameras. I got the 7 inch screen and the picture is great. It's really helpful to make lane changes while driving too. I think a lift might be needed if you are going to go off paved or flat roads, they didn't leave a lot of room between the black dump tube and the ground. I intend to reinforce my black tube, and will see if I can lift it an inch or two. Enjoy your 195 and keep in touch with us. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply