R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod 190 tire replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod 190 tire replacement
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:39am
Yeah, I might go with LRE's on a 195 too. Those have a 4400 lb rated axle and the st225 75r15 LRE's are rated at 2830 lbs so that's about 30% over the axle rating, not bad. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by furpod

He lied. 

They either lie or they don't know, don't care, or are mis-informed.

A few years ago while traveling thru several states, I was needing two new rear tires for a van. The salesman said, we have these, XYZ brand, which are made in china, or we have these, Goodyear brand, which are made in America....just $20 more per tire.

Heck yeah, put the 'MERICAN MADE' tires on my Ford! I said....

Deal is done, I roll down the road. 

500 miles later, at the end of a very long day, I looked carefully at the stampings on the tires...'MADE IN CHILE'.....oh brother. Yeah, I guess Chile IS in America....SOUTH AMERICA that is!

Trust, but VERIFY.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:36am
At the end of the day, it isn't so much where things are made, but the extent to which the manufacturers control the manufacturing process and quality control.  If company subcontracts the fabrication of their products and doesn't monitor the subcontractor adequately, then cheating on the specifications and manufacturing process is almost inevitable.  If the company watches the subcontractors, or their own factories for that matter, like a hawk, then the probability is that the quality will be adequate.  

The problem with many products manufactured in places like China, Vietnam, India, etc. is that the manufacturers are not there and only look at the appearance of the final product.  When that happens, there will inevitably be issues with quality.  

We bought Carlisle tires, a US company.  They build tires here in the US, Europe, and China.  When I looked at my D rated tires, it said made in China.  Presumably, they care about their reputation and quality control and there is no difference in the quality between plants.  But there is certainly no guarantee.  On the other hand, different factories in the US of the same brand turn out inconsistent quality too.  The country of origin is not always an indicator of quality.  Rather, it is the commitment of the company to quality control that makes the real difference in the end.

Our tires have performed well.  They are wearing evenly [more a function of alignment and the axle], are still nice and round, show no signs of cracking or other premature wear, hold the air between trips, and ride smoothly.  When it's time to replace the tires, I will look for a fair price [not the cheapest] and perceived quality.  The country of origin will play a part in the selection but for reasons other than concerns of quality.  I have a bias toward products made in the Americas [N & S] but that is a political issue which we rightly avoid on this site.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Our tires have performed well.  They are .... still nice and round....

I like my tires nice and round too, those square ones really make for a bumpy ride LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
harrypodder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 4:49pm
Have been running boat trailers for years and have kept up with the trailer tire dilemma out of necessity. I believe it is more critical on a Pod since it is single axle and when one goes due to poor manufacturing it can get ugly fast as I have found out on my boat trailers. Picked up my new 189 in Ohio drove back to Bama and went to Goodyear the next day and installed Goodyear Endurance tires. Keep up with the air pressure and check the condition is all I can do. If you hit something in the road and get a blowout nothing you can do then but I feel a little more comfortable with Endurance then the China models it came with.     
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:10pm
We have had 2 rpods over a period of 8 years. We have had china bombs, Carlisles,Maxxis 8008 and Goodyear Endurance as the latest tires.
Without question, the GY is the stiffest sidewall, heaviest tire we have had. It was easily balanced, bounces less and feels more stable than any other tire we have used. We have had the d rated  14” tires for over a year and never had any issues. The air does not leak, the tires show no wear and we are happy. 
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Gzeb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:56pm
Thanks all. Looks like I’ll go with the GY Endurance, D tires,
Motor7 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Gzeb

Thanks all. Looks like I’ll go with the GY Endurance, D tires,

I just decided the same thing. My tires are 2015 and original. Headed out on a 4,000 mile trip next month, so the extra $100 for the Endurance is a none issue. 

Btw, since I have 14' rims I am going with the ST215/75R14. Slightly wider, but 2200 lb load range as opposed to 2040 lb on the ST205/75R14. $110 ea shipped on Amazon:

Edit....WallyWorld has them for $100 ea shippped

And my local tire place has them for $120 mounted an balanced....I'm going with them. 

2016 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12