R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR dome alternatives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R dome alternatives
    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 10:22am
For those of you looking at the Clam, there are a couple other pop-up enclosed shelters available. One of which is the Gazelle.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

Sorry, I may have missed it.. Do you have a rDome? Assuming you do since speaking of removing the Keder.
If you do and it's one that the sides zip out.. Talk to me, I may wish to buy that useless thing off ya! Because it's so useless, for shipping cost only.. LOL

I do see benefits to the Clam mind ya. I just don't see a reason to rid the Keder so quickly.. You're a pretty smart dude and even I can see a way to add an awning with a few brackets... Which I probably won't. I have a better system.. with the Keder. 

I guess I'm just too much a Dark-sider and if there's so many bugs I have to hide in a shelter.. I'm moving on. Only hit that twice now crossing this country 2 times. Another benefit of retirement.. I get to pick my time of year to visit. 

I did have an rDome, came with the 179. It looked like it had been used once. I tried using it a couple more times, didn't like it, then sold it here on this forum. 

I wouldn't bother removing the Keder rail for no reason. it's not hurting anything, someone else might want to use it one day, and besides I'm lazy. My reason for removing it would be because it got in the way of my planned solar install.  I want to use the top wall frame to attach vertical plates to and then the PV module end frames to those plates. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:56pm
You asked about an awning.  We love our Marti's Awning.  Check out martisawnings.com.  We found the dome difficult to put up and it did not fit our camping style.  Much prefer a simple awning.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:42pm
Sometimes.. you don't have to choose.. LOL

When you need big seating at a rally...

Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by offgrid

For me, the Clam makes the Keder rail superfluous. If/when I have a good reason to remove it I will. Everyone has their own preferences, mine is light weight, ease of use, flexibility in location, and bug protection, none of which an rDome does very well. 

Sorry, I may have missed it.. Do you have a rDome? Assuming you do since speaking of removing the Keder.
If you do and it's one that the sides zip out.. Talk to me, I may wish to buy that useless thing off ya! Because it's so useless, for shipping cost only.. LOL

I do see benefits to the Clam mind ya. I just don't see a reason to rid the Keder so quickly.. You're a pretty smart dude and even I can see a way to add an awning with a few brackets... Which I probably won't. I have a better system.. with the Keder. 

I guess I'm just too much a Dark-sider and if there's so many bugs I have to hide in a shelter.. I'm moving on. Only hit that twice now crossing this country 2 times. Another benefit of retirement.. I get to pick my time of year to visit. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 3:13pm
For me, the Clam makes the Keder rail superfluous. If/when I have a good reason to remove it I will. Everyone has their own preferences, mine is light weight, ease of use, flexibility in location, and bug protection, none of which an rDome does very well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Pod People

We use both an rdome and an awning depending on the circumstances.
The rdome is wonderful for inclement weather, for more privacy and to extend the actual living space of the pod.  we will typically set it up for 2 or more days, for crowded camp grounds or threat of inclement weather.  After doing it several times, the setup is quick and efficient. We love the dome and have had 2 of them with our 173 and current 179.
We also made our own tarp/awning.  Using  a heavy duty poly tarp, we sewed keder tape on the edge and use the same keder rail as the rdome.   Add in 3 standard collapsible/adjustable tent poles, some guy lines and instantly we have a quick shade or rain screen.  We use this occasionally but not as much as the dome.
Our second pod came with a visor which we found too small and not really usaeful for us.
hope this helps
Vann

I do the same with mine! I have the rDome and a home-made fly. I have something for everything! I use the poles from the rDome for both and depending on the 'set' Long/Short/combined depends on if I required any stacking out. 

To be honest, I don't know why anyone would rid of the Keder Rail. Heck you want a crank awning, make a bracket for it to fit the Keder.. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 11:09am
Clam shelter. It a hub design pop up.

jlferris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 10:19am
What's the "clam"? Would you send a pic or a link?
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:56pm
We use both an rdome and an awning depending on the circumstances.
The rdome is wonderful for inclement weather, for more privacy and to extend the actual living space of the pod.  we will typically set it up for 2 or more days, for crowded camp grounds or threat of inclement weather.  After doing it several times, the setup is quick and efficient. We love the dome and have had 2 of them with our 173 and current 179.
We also made our own tarp/awning.  Using  a heavy duty poly tarp, we sewed keder tape on the edge and use the same keder rail as the rdome.   Add in 3 standard collapsible/adjustable tent poles, some guy lines and instantly we have a quick shade or rain screen.  We use this occasionally but not as much as the dome.
Our second pod came with a visor which we found too small and not really usaeful for us.
hope this helps
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>