R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheck This Bolt!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check This Bolt!
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:11pm
So we are on backside 4k mile trip from NC to CO. So far the trip was going great until yesterday. Running some backroad in Texas I look back and see what i thought at first was smoke. Heart rate through the roof I hastily pull over get out and see nothing as I look up. So as I come around the side of the Pod I look down and there is Blackwater pouring everywhere! The ONE bolt that hold the pipe from the black tank to the valve had come loose and disappeared. Causing me to drag the pipe and valve down the road which opened the valve ( still not sure how that happened ). Ended up having some Zipties in the Pod and that's what is currently holding it for the next 600 miles home. Please keep us in your thoughts and GO check that bold right now!

2019 R-Pod 190
"We must always be aware that suddenly and unexpectedly we may find ourselves in a role where our performance has ultimate consequences."
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:19pm
Long time, many time addressed issue on this forum. Personally I modified hangers years ago. So have many others. Glad you could get it secured for trip home.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:39pm
Now there are probably 2 dozen Texas pickups with VERY dirty windshields!

Yuck...

Dead
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Monemkr2000 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:49pm
Hahahah yes at least one!!
"We must always be aware that suddenly and unexpectedly we may find ourselves in a role where our performance has ultimate consequences."
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:55pm
You know, I have been kinda looking at mine occasionally and your thread reminded me to go look and sure enough the bracket is broken! The bolt is fine but the thin sliver of metal has snapped.

So now, I also have the dreaded r-pod 'poop-chute droop'.... 

So, I'm building a new bracket as we speak. 

Sure glad I saw this before I head out in a couple of days!

Thumbs Up

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:11pm
Yeah Im going to build something after I get the warranty department to replace it. Mind posting some pic's of what your building? Im gonna do both the black and grey tanks. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:13pm
That happened to mine also. Thumbs Down
In my case, it happened once but the valve did not open. I strapped it up and had to replace the spigot end. When it went to the factory for repair, a second hanger was installed.

Both of them came loose on our long trip last year and this time, the valve came open, emptying the contents on the Interstate. I'm sure there were a number of irate drivers. I was hailed by a passing driver who alerted me and we pulled off at the next exit where I strapped it up again (it is a good thing that sunshine is a good disinfectant). When we got home, I determined this was never going to happen again so I fashioned a new hanger (see my mods) which is not physically clamped to the pipe, but goes around it and is fastened to the frame. That way, the pipe can move and not work nuts and bolts loose. I showed my work to some factory reps at the Kentucky Mini-Mini/10th Anniversary RPod Rally last year. They told me the engineers were working on a redesign of the hanger to prevent this from happening. Even if something is done, I don't think FR will retrofit all the existing RPods.
We just got back from a trip to Florida. Again, I did not need to be worried that it would cvome loose because my design is much stronger than the factory design even though it is very simple--just a piece of strap aluminum wrapped around the pipe and attached to the frame with two of the self-tapping screws like FR uses for the factory hangers.
Bottom line for this is go ahead and fix it before it breaks.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:17pm
Awesome thanks for the info! I will check out your work.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 9:24pm
Pics are in the link below. 

You can see the busted factory bracket, then the heavy gauge steel bracket I built: Bent, drilled, painted, then attached to the original clamp, reversing the attachment point to go UNDER the sewer discharge. 

This should allow slightly more 'flex' along the length of the new (and longer) metal bracket, reducing metal fatigue at the stress points. Plus it reduces 'tension' on the smaller clamp-to-bracket bolt. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

I attached it at an existing body-to-frame bolt, rather than reuse the light duty screw in the side of the frame channel. I simply used a similar nut, attaching the new bracket onto the existing stud. It does not have a full 'purchase' on the threads, but with a lockwasher in place I believe it should be sufficient.

The entire assembly is very sturdy. I think it should be fine now.

Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:08pm
Sooooo, I was kicking this around with some fellow Podsters at the N’oreast Pod rally and we agreed that we might be equally concerned that if we made the bracket too strong, and we hit something with the pipe, the pipe might break instead of the bracket.

In other words, perhaps it is better to repair a snapped bracket then a snapped black pipe?  I do agree the bracket has to be inspected regularly and replaced if it is failing.  But I’m torn with replacing it with something stronger.

Thoughts?

2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>