R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInstalling USB charger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing USB charger
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:46pm
I am certainly not an electrician and need help with something.  2015 RPod 179.  I am installing USB charging ports by the bed.  I have run wiring from the light above the bed to the valence area.  I discovered which existing wires were 12V DC and which are 120V AC.  I was about to hook things up when I thought of something.  Normally, the 12V positive and 120V positive wires are hooked together, then run to the light.  Same with the negatives.  But, I wondered, if I put all the positives together and all the negatives together, will that send 120V AC current down the wire to my USB charger (which is made for 12V DC), and blow the little in-line fuse?  I mean, whenever I am hooked to shore power.  

I thought well, maybe I should just install a small on/off switch right by the light to interrupt the current to the USB charging port when I am plugged into shore power?  Any savvy electricians out there that can help me with this?  The LED light somehow handles both being plugged into it...

Thanks!

Dave
Hockey Dave
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:29pm
Dave,

My lights are 12V, nowhere do I have 120V lights. You can't tie 12V and 120 together, never. When I installed my USB ports with lighter socket I hooked to the spare fuse application at the 12V fuse panel. Works fine, my sockets are in the right hand bench , facing the door, on a 178.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
HockeyDave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:24pm
Mike, thank you so much!  You are, of course, correct!  How silly of me!  Been hit in the head too many times, I suppose...

Now that I have done a bit more testing with my multi-meter, I have discovered that the second set of wires is nothing more than the continuation of the electrical run, if that makes sense.  The first set (arbitrarily called first by me) is hot (at about 12.6V DC) when the battery only is connected, or when the shore power is on (at about 13.8V DC).  The second set of wires is not hot under either condition!  

Seems so obvious now!!  Ouch  But, it has given me valuable insight.  Thanks again!

Silly Dave
Hockey Dave
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:33pm
Back in the 'olden days', some RVs had 12 volts lights and separate 120v light fixtures for shore power only.

I dont know if any modern RVs still have those, but as far as I know, the r-pods sure dont, unless an owner plugs in a residential style table lamp to a 120v outlet.

Glad you got it figured out!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:14pm
I had an Airstream, an early 70s model, that didn't have a battery, it had power on shore alone, the reefer had propane capability.
Mike Carter
2015 178
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:25pm
Today that would be called a 'park model'...
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:28pm
It Was:)
Mike Carter
2015 178
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:04pm
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish but in the 179 its very easy to put cig lighter/usb ports in the wall behind the TV adjacent to the audio system. You can pick up the 12Vdc easily by pulling out the audio box and connecting to the wires running to it. Then right through the wall and reinstall the audio box, no visible wires anywhere. That's what I did, plus a little shelf behind the TV to put mobile devices on while recharging them. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish but in the 179 its very easy to put cig lighter/usb ports in the wall behind the TV adjacent to the audio system. You can pick up the 12Vdc easily by pulling out the audio box and connecting to the wires running to it. Then right through the wall and reinstall the audio box, no visible wires anywhere. That's what I did, plus a little shelf behind the TV to put mobile devices on while recharging them. 

Exactly what I did - 4 screws hold the stereo unit in place, undo those then tap into the power wires feeding the sound unit. Mounted the usb charger on the wall behind the tv. 
HockeyDave View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:57am
All good information, thank you all very much!  The idea by the TV is a great idea!  I already ran the wires and "got 'er done."  I put a couple of elastic expandable nets on each side of the window because my wife and I like to read at night and want to be able to put up our book or kindles and immediately go to sleep!  So, this will end up being better for our purposes.  
What does everyone use to secure things to the walls?
Hockey Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>