R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRPod Axle Issue....why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPod Axle Issue....why?
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by podwerkz

I was in an RV dealership about a week ago and spotted the StarCraft Satellite....which is very similar to the r-pods. I looked underneath and it had a leaf spring axle.

Only if the frame is wider so the attachment points for the axle are closer to the wheels. If there is still the large space between wheel and frame, the difference in suspension would not necessarily remove the problem if the weight rating of the axle remains the same.

I agree, I don't think there's any reason to assume a leaf spring axle is inherently better than a torsion axle. if an axle is under designed for the application (based on mounting points or for some other reason) its going to have problems. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by lostagain

StephenH, do you know the distance from between the frame rails of the Starcraft compared to the rPod?  Is the overhang the same?  They don't show any info in their web site regarding the axle or it's sturctural elements.
That's why I said "only if." I don't know and the picture in the link does not offer any information.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:31pm
I think someone from our board, other than me Evil Smile, should volunteer to go out and take some measurements and get the details on the relative axle capacities.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:44pm
I know that the Camping World in Garner, NC (near Raleigh) carries that model. However, I don't know the next time I will be getting down that way.  If nobody posts the information, I will try to get it the next time I do happen to get there. It may be a while though.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:12pm
StephenH, I was just kidding.  But if you happen to be in the area, it'd be interesting to know.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:25pm
Lot of "IFS" on this issue. I don't see bent axles as a majority issue considering the Pods on the road. I do see issues with type of axle, use of a WDH and loading/operating options. I agree the 3500 lb axle is something to consider as well as the mounting of axle. I think LostAgain made some valuable comments on legality of axle failures. There is a gaggle of engineers on this forum. Not sure we will ever agree. Doesn't matter, good discussion. Personally, I have no axle issues, and there are measures I take to ensure I don't. My mind may change if I do. Right now it's OK.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:29pm
I'm going back through Raleigh airport after my trip to Hawaii in about another week or so but after 16 hours of travel including a redeye, and another 5 hour drive home yet to go, I don't think I'm gonna volunteer to run on over and measure axles on trailers I don't have the money to buy anyhow...Tongue
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by StephenH

Only if the frame is wider so the attachment points for the axle are closer to the wheels.

It was at a local Camping World, I was in there buying some self-leveling sealant.

I guess I should have looked closer, but:

A. I was in a hurry, and

B. I would assume the heavier GVWR on the StarCraft requires a heavy-duty axle. Or a heavy-duty axle permits a heavier GVWR. 

C. We also know what 'assume' sometimes does. Tongue

I notice the specs for the Satellite shows a 5/8ths plywood deck. That's a pretty sturdy floor, compared to the r-pod styro-laminate deck. Of course it adds some weight too.

The problem for me is, I WILL NOT BUY A CAMPER FROM CAMPING WORLD.

I dont want to derail the thread, so I will leave that for another thread and another time.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:57pm
Mike, I think it'd be more appropriate to refer to our esteemed group of engineers a "cast," i.e. a group of falcons.  A gaggle refers to geese, not at all fitting.  Falcons are fast, quick in wit, sleek in design, and are powerful raptors.  All geese do is hiss and honk.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 6:59pm
We just returned yesterday from a trip to Florida where I got to test the axle as modified. It seems to perform well. Even though we hit some rough roads in South Carolina, the axle worked well. OTOH, it was on our third major trip out west that the axle lost its camber and I don't think I had nearly the weight in the 'Pod on the return trip since I had dumped the black and grey tanks before we left the RV park in Florida. Just looking, the camber of the axle appears to be unchanged but I need to check the tires for wear. I noticed some wear on the slide side that I need to look at more closely, but I don't know if that is related to the previous problem. If I don't like the looks of it, I do have an extra tire I can have mounted.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>