R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Brand New to RPod, cross country move next week!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrand New to RPod, cross country move next week! - Event Date: 12 Jun 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Brand New to RPod, cross country move next week!
    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:44pm
Hi!
We are moving back home from MD to CA. (We are using Pods for our stuff, but still have to get the 2 dogs, 4 cats and two vehicles there, instead of trying to find hotels to fit us all in. This was another excuse to purchase the RPod 190. :)

Unfortunately, it's going to be a hot journey and not sure where we will be stopping and what hookups will be available. This is probably a stupid couple of questions, but here it goes... *I know nothing about electricity except that I use it and pay a company each month for it.

How long will the A/C last if we don't have anywhere to plug in? (The temps look like they'll vary from 99- 115 degrees along the way.)

Will a solar panel(s) hold enough charge to power the a/c through the night?

Are there any idiot-proof ways to hook up a non-zamp 170+ amp that don't involve soldering or drilling holes into anything?
Any input on brands, wattage/amps, connectors, cords, extra battery, converter (is this even necessary with the Rpod?), etc. would be amazing!!

*Again, I greatly apologize for being so ignorant! I looked online, but only became more confused!

THANK YOU!!!!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:47pm
Your a/c doesn't run on 12v. You can only use it when plugged into 120v power.

Solar panels can't charge at night.. no sun.

Dual batteries will get you more 12v storage.

Plug the portable panel in to the solar on the side plug.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by MonkeyMoe123

How long will the A/C last if we don't have anywhere to plug in? (The temps look like they'll vary from 99- 115 degrees along the way.)
Zero. The AC runs on 110 volts, and you would need the batteries and inverter from h**l to run AC for any appreciable time.

Will a solar panel(s) hold enough charge to power the a/c through the night?
Nope. Solar panels do not hold charge, they are used to charge batteries.

Any input on brands, wattage/amps, connectors, cords, extra battery, converter (is this even necessary with the Rpod?), etc. would be amazing!!
If the goal is to run your AC, you should stop at places that have full hook ups.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 6:55pm
Wow.

Shocked
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 7:06pm
I did a MD to CA move like that back in 2009. Two vehicles (one a class B RV), two dogs, a wife, a daughter, a grandson, and...wait for it...a parrot. Let’s just say it’s not something I ever want to repeat...

Re running the ac, my recommendation is that If you can’t find hookups just stay in a motel. Many motels accept pets nowadays. Try La Quinta for a midrange chain that is pet friendly.Your family and your sanity will thank you. Your only other alternative is a portable generator but that’s a hassle if you’re moving every day and most campgrounds won’t let you run them at night anyway.

Good luck, you’ll need it I think😜
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:28pm
There should be plenty of KOA-type campgrounds along the way, usually not far off the interstate. Just search online during the day once you know where you're likely to make it to by evening.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 6:48am
Welcome to our forum. You are just the type pf person it was designed for.

That said, I get the impression that you don't have previous experience with travel trailers. If this is wrong and you are experienced, I apologize for taking up our time. 

This is my take on your plans, off the top of my head. If you are inexperienced, I think the first thing you should do is delay your trip at least 2 weeks. A cross country 'shake down cruise' is pretty ambitious, even an overnite in your driveway is better. 

Safety is extremely important. To go cross country, I hope you have an adequate tow vehicle with towing package, at least 5000 pound capacity with a 190. Use a bathroom scale to check your tongue weight, get a small air compressor to keep your tires safe. Check your hitch to avoid a 'false hitch' and the trailer lights before leaving each day.

I bet you are trying to go too far, too fast each day. Figure no faster than 65 mph, (I go about 62) and stop driving after 5 hours or so, and plan for a rest day after each driving day, or at least every second day. I know people can drive 10 hours with a car, but the trailer is much harder to drive. Start each day as early as possible, this avoids traffic except rush hour type. 

Get the book 'Next Exit' and a good road atlas.

A good trip planner is very helpful. Until they recently ruined it, Good Sam Club had a nice one, I haven't found a good replacement yet, probably KOA has an equivalent one, but get one, it'll help you find your next stop.

Practice using the manual brake on your trailer brake. I do it routinely as I am driving along but that's just me. It is very unlikely, but if the trailer begins badly swaying, you have about 1 second to get it under control using the trailer brake. Braking the tow vehicle is useless.

Dumping the black tank is simple, but if not done right can get you into trouble. Many campgrounds limit the number of vehicles at a site to one and you'll need leveling blocks if you don't have them.

Good luck. In the 19th century, our ancestors made that sort of trip routinely. We have a much easier time now, but we still can have difficulties.

Live2Camp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 9:48am

Hi!
We are moving back home from MD to CA. (We are using Pods for our stuff, but still have to get the 2 dogs, 4 cats and two vehicles there, instead of trying to find hotels to fit us all in. This was another excuse to purchase the RPod 190. :)

Welcome! And welcome soon-to-be back home. Since you're from here you probably already know this, but the speed limit in California for pulling trailers is 55mph max. To what part of California area you heading? From the temps you cite, it looks like you're heading to southern California? Just curious if you're crossing the Sierra Nevada (Hwy 80) or coming into California somewhere to the south. Have a safe trip and let us know how it goes. 
2017 R-Pod 179 HRE (the green one)
His:Ford F150 double cab 4WD; Hers/mine:Tacoma V6 double cab 4WD
Still love rugged, diggin' comfy too
 Post Reply Post Reply