R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedunderbelly lining no longer attached

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: underbelly lining no longer attached
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:54pm
I recently purchased a 2012 R-Pod 177.  The underbelly lining is no longer attached in the very back on the floor and thus there is some water damage all along the back floor of the camper.  Nothing too serious at this point as this is where the pass-through storage is located.

However, I would like to try to repair or at least enclose the bare wood (again along the very back wall).

Anybody else experience this and/or repaired this with your R-Pod?  I don't know where to be begin trying to possibly try to attach something to the existing underbelly lining and then seal it against the back of the R-Pod.

All suggestions welcome!  Thanks!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:24pm
That is interesting. I had issues with a wet floor bottom on my 2015 178. After getting the pod out of the elements, I traced mine to a leaking spoiler. I allowed it to dry, and then Eterna bonded my spoiler ,top and sides. This is my first season with the new seal. Appears floor is staying dry, I'm talking underneath. No apparent issues looking at it from outside at camper level. Also rear pass thru was not wet. I didn't lose any bottom side lining, it was wet. Nothing apparent inside of Pod. All the moisture was on the underside at rear, in my case. After you have deduced where the moisture is coming from there are several good sealants you can use on Pod bottom. Noting will work until the water issue is resolved.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Yedi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:29pm
Thanks mcarter.  Nothing is wet right now.  And we just had a ton of rain.  All the wood is dry, but because the lining is just hanging all along the back, the part that is exposed has had some slight water damage, probably when driving in the rain/wet highway.
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 5:45pm
Good sign. May have just lost adhesive capability. Maybe. When dry, recoat. You could use a spray on or a brush on to test your theory.
Mike Carter
2015 178
Yedi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:05pm
mcarter, what sealer do you recommend?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:57am
When I have repaired the bottom seal and I admit probably not to the extent of your issue. I used Flex Seal, black, in both the spray and brush on types. I've noticed most of the belly hardware is attached with self tapping screws into the non metal bottom. When I replace or attach something on bottom I recoat the area with flex seal.
Mike Carter
2015 178
RC Robert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 12:50pm
We have 2010 177 with the underbelly liner pulled away and delaminated from the super thin plywood bottom floor layer. I cut into it and found the plywood soaked. Kept on cutting until 60% of lining had to be removed. The floor inside the trailer has no soft spots and the foam layer in between seems dry. Walls looks and feel fine. Just the layer of rubber has pulled away and that first plywood layer is wet.  The wet plywood is drying nicely now and is not rotting.  How do I replace the rubber underbelly layer? Our local dealer said they just spray coat it. Can I do this? If so, spray and coat with what? Water got in between layers from poor bottom edge calking.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:49pm
I wonder if textured 2-part pickup truck bed liner, that you apply with a paint roller, would work?
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by RC Robert

We have 2010 177 with the underbelly liner pulled away and delaminated from the super thin plywood bottom floor layer. I cut into it and found the plywood soaked. Kept on cutting until 60% of lining had to be removed. The floor inside the trailer has no soft spots and the foam layer in between seems dry. Walls looks and feel fine. Just the layer of rubber has pulled away and that first plywood layer is wet.  The wet plywood is drying nicely now and is not rotting.  How do I replace the rubber underbelly layer? Our local dealer said they just spray coat it. Can I do this? If so, spray and coat with what? Water got in between layers from poor bottom edge calking.
A little more info maybe. Where specifically is the wet area? Have you been towing in wet conditions? Is it under the shower/toilet/kitchen sink/water heater? 

Depending on where the water is coming from, you just might need to dry it out & apply a rubber coating.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
RC Robert View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:42pm
The black rubber underbelly cover has now been 60% removed. Cut out with a knife. The thin layer of wood is drying. Foam above it seems dry. Need to replace the cover or coat the exposed wood with something. Could not pull the cover off where it goes under the frame or under the tanks. But still is drying out and not rotting. Leak was at seems between rubber cover and wood layer at the bottom underside edges. Front edge, side edges and rear edge all allowed water to seep in between this layer Of the floor. The only way the wood would ever dry was to cut out the rubber underbelly stuff which was delaminated from the wood. Kind of like a rubberized nylon mesh now 60% removed. Thanks for your help. I’m in Canada and 1gal cans of flex seal are unavailable where I am.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>