R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater heater in 173t

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water heater in 173t
    Posted: 11 May 2019 at 6:58pm
Hi all,
I’m a newbie with a 2011 173t rpod. I was working on dewinterizing, sanitizing and checking the water system. It seems that the water heater is working on electric, but it is not firing up on propane. I have questions but I don’t know what I don’t know.

Is the inside switch/reset button supposed to light up?
Do you turn off the outside switch to use propane?
Is there a specific procedure to follow?

Grateful for any advice.

Dan

Dan&Sandy
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:09pm
You probably need to get the air out of your gas lines.  Light your stove and furnace, then try again.  The switch on the galley for hot water should be turned on to operate on gas.  It's best to keep the electric switch turned off to avoid inadvertently burning up the heating element if the water heater has no water.  It takes less than a minute to burn it out.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2019 at 10:19pm
Hello and welcome! The learning curve for a beginner is sometimes quite steep. I know it was for me. Hang in there. It will get easier.

Inside switch controls the propane side. The switch will be lit if it is turned on. The DSI Fault light will turn on initially and then turn off when the propane ignites.
The outside switch (in conjunction with the breaker in the power panel) controls the electrical side. As Fred stated, leave that off unless you are absolutely sure your water heater tank is full (check by pulling the pressure relief valve lever). If air comes out, then you do not have a full tank. If water comes out, it is full and under pressure. If nothing comes out, check the position of the bypass valves inside to make sure they are in the correct position to allow the tank to fill. The hot and cold water line valves should be open (parallel to the tubes) and the bypass valve (on the tube between the hot and cold water lines) should be shut (perpendicular to the line) if you have the three valve system. Given the age of your RPod, you should have the three valves.

As for purging the gas lines by running the stove, that may help. The water heater draws enough gas so that it would not take much to purge it since it is close to the tank anyway and uses a larger quantity of gas than the stove so the line should be purged and gas flowing very quickly anyway. Let us know if this answers your questions and if it works for you.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:12am
Originally posted by dansanmo

Hi all,
I’m a newbie with a 2011 173t rpod. I was working on dewinterizing, sanitizing and checking the water system. It seems that the water heater is working on electric, but it is not firing up on propane.

Is the inside switch/reset button supposed to light up?
Do you turn off the outside switch to use propane?
Is there a specific procedure to follow?

Grateful for any advice.

Dan

Hi Dan
You must have water in the H/W tank, I assume you do. If you turn on the water pump, and go outside to the W/H and just barely open the emergency pressure release valve (just like your home W/H) water should come out. You would now be positive there is water in it.  As far as making H/W on propane, I recommend this. You go out back and open the cover. Have someone turn on the H/W switch inside (do not use the outside switch, make sure its off) Do not get your face to close, and listen. You should hear a series of clicks. The system tries to lite the fire 3 times before shutting it down and showing DSI fault inside. You should hear those three sets of clicks if it doesn't light. You should smell propane at this point (if it doesn't light).  If it does light, you will hear the "Whoosh" of the ignition (Why you should keep face away). If you make several attempts and it only does the clicks, and doesn't light, I would suspect the igniter board. Your local dealer should be able to check it, mine has a tester, I assume they all do. It's a cheap part, 85.00 on amazon, maybe 120.00 at the dealer. It is probably located right on the hot water tank. It should be rather cheaply attached with a wire tie. Mine is in a small white box about 3 inch long, 1 1/2 inch wide. Good luck and let us know what happens
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
dansanmo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 4:27pm
Thank you for the suggestions. I was frustrated because when I turned on the inside switch, the reset light did not turn on and there was no clicking from the spark plug. It turns out that there was no 15 amp little fuse in the slot for lp water heater. I plugged one in and “Presto!” It worked like a charm. Thanks again for the advice.

Dan (a little bit smarter today)
Dan&Sandy
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:19pm
Glad you found out the cause of the problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Jholler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2019 at 12:04pm
Which slot is that on yours? I don't have one labeled lp water heater. All my fuses are good. There is an empty slot in position 11, but I know my heater has worked before.
2015 rpod 179
2014 Ram ecoDiesel HFE
2009-ish Chihuahua
 Post Reply Post Reply