Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedadvice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: advice
    Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:09am
If you have a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle it’s tongue weight limit is most likely 350 lbs. If you have dual batteries on your 179 plus a full propane tank your tongue weight is well above that. Weigh it so you really know.

Your rig swaying like crazy is trying to tell you something. It’s telling you your loaded 179 is just too much trailer for that vehicle. A weight distribution hitch won’t fix that, it’s not intended as a substitute for staying within your spec limits. Nor is sway control.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by offgrid

If you have a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle it’s tongue weight limit is most likely 350 lbs. If you have dual batteries on your 179 plus a full propane tank your tongue weight is well above that. Weigh it so you really know.

Your rig swaying like crazy is trying to tell you something. It’s telling you your loaded 179 is just too much trailer for that vehicle. A weight distribution hitch won’t fix that, it’s not intended as a substitute for staying within your spec limits. Nor is sway control.

That's not all there is to the equation.  You can have a light trailer sway for various reasons but one common reason is too little weight on the tongue.  It's probably better to say too much weight behind the axle.

You'll have problems if your trailer is too heavy, but regardless of how light your trailer is you want 10 to 15% of the overall weight on the tongue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:55pm

I have the same trailer with dual batteries on the tongue as well. It’s tongue heavy. I don’t think I could get mine below 10% on the tongue if I tried. I have no sway tendency. The tow vehicle configuration also has an impact on sway. So In this case I suspect that the sway is occurring at a higher tongue weight than usual because the tow vehicle is so light.

In any case, the sway is saying something is wrong, and the tongue and total weight is going to be high for that vehicle, so I think it’s important to know the weight of the trailer, tongue and tow vehicle as loaded for travel so that can be compared to the limits for each vehicle and the combination.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:51am

I shouldn't say the sway is terrible but in high cross winds it can get going without a sway bar.  A sway bar does a great job of damping it down so it's not a problem. My main question is whether the sway is inherent with the setup or due to load imbalance on the rear-end even though I only have 1" of sag in the rear end and 1/2" lift on the front-end with the trailer fully loaded, which an e-trailer adviser says in fine? If using a weight distribution hitch wouldn't help much to reduce sway over just a sway bar why get it?

Also I am very confident of my AWD Santa Fe Sport to tow a trailer up to the 3500 lb limit and I think it could do more.  The reason I say more is because it is designed like the longer Santa Fe model with a 3.3L V6, which is rated to tow 5000 lb, as they both have the same towing designed suspension and transmission cooler. The main difference is I have the 2.0L turbo, which is a remarkable engine and puts out nearly as much horsepower as the 3.3L V6 but with a broader torque curve. It pulls the trailer remarkably well up hills and rough terrain conditions!

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:43am
Wheelbase makes a big difference in towing capacity.

Again, my advice is to weigh your rig fully loaded for travel. By using a public scale and weighing it one axle at a time you can get the weight on each axle and the total rig weight. Then run through the scale again without the trailer. Your local waste transfer station is a good place to try for scale access.

The difference in tow vehicle weights with and without the trailer is your tongue weight. You can then compare each axle, total trailer, and total rig weights to the maximum load specs for each. I can almost guarantee that you will be surprised. I was, I’m at 3800 lbs and 550 on the tongue. No way I’d tow with a 3500 lb tow rated vehicle.

If after doing that you want to proceed with a weight distribution hitch you’ll have the weights you need to pick the right hitch and get it set up correctly. You’ll also need to be sure your receiver is capable of taking a wdh, many are not.

This calculator is helpful:

https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 10:43am
mhfnet, you didn't mention whether your Santa Fe Sport is front wheel drive or all wheel drive. If it's front wheel drive, then you absolutely would need a weight distribution hitch. Shifting weight to the front wheels would help tremendously; especially because you are at the high end (and over) it's towing limit.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:24pm
Thanks "offgrid", that will help to figure whether I need a weight distribution hitch.  Hopefully I can find all the information needed to fill in the data?

I have a AWD and it handles quite well with the trailer attached.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 5:52pm
You'll need to measure a couple of distances. The rest of the info should either be on the door jamb sticker of your tow vehicle, in its owner's manual, or on the rPod weight sticker. Most wdh's have about 18 inch bars and weigh something like 60 lbs. The wdh itself is considered to be part of the tow vehicle not the trailer, so add its weight that way. 

Once you get everything in you can adjust the tension of the wdh in the calculator to bring back the front axle weight to what it was for the tow vehicle without the trailer. That is generally the way the instructions say to set up wdh's, so you should end up right about there when you do it in real life. 

Have fun!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mhfnet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:39pm
Well I purchased a WDH from Amazon for $300, a Husky 32217 Center Line TS, and I am happy to report it made a big difference in the way it towed my Rpod 179. I now feels like my SUV and trailer move like an integrated system much like the SUV alone. I would highly recommend the Husky TS it as it heavy duty built, quiet (unlike sway bar systems) and offers integrated sway for a great price. You could easily spend double the cost and not get a better WDH.
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:38am
nice find....hopefully it works for you and welcome to the pod familySmile
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>