Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSatellite on r-pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Satellite on r-pod
    Posted: 01 May 2019 at 5:30pm
Hello poders, can someone enlighten me on installing satellite on r-pod without going thru winegaurd? I can get a system as I have Direct tv at home, but need a satellite and have been told I can get one but don't know who can set up to reach signal. Would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 5:51pm
I don't understand your question.. You want to use a satellite dish while camping? and you already are a DirecTV customer? As far as I know, wingard is your only answer for DirecTV.. get the "carryout", it aims itself.
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 6:05pm
I have dish at home and was able to add rpod for $9 per month when I have it turned on.....not sure how direct tv works with that...I got my dish satellite at camping world on huge sale and install for $59.00.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:15am
DirectTV is not user friendly when in a travel trailer.  You will need an external antenna and a receiver box.  The antenna can be mounted on the ground and aimed at the appropriate satellite for DirectTV reception.  Hook the antenna cable to the antenna port on the Pod.  The receiver box will  need to be inside the Pod, connected to the cabling coming out of the wall and then to the tv.   The hardest part is getting the antenna aimed correctly and getting your service changed by DirectTV to the location you are camping at.  We do this with a t different camper in the summer.  The process has never taken over three days.  When in the R-pod we just forget watching TV and have fun.
Enjoy Life!!
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 9:20am
And here I thought we were talking about satellite radio....

Wink
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Kdel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 10:19am
Thanks much for the feed back.
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:22pm
Winegard now has a portable antenna that receives both Dish and DirectTV.  The unit is prceyand only receives SD signal for DirectTV.  I heard that DirectTV has been moving to all HD and hopes to complete this by the end of the year. I haven't seen any documented evidence of this.  But it would be wise to check into it before laying out $500 or so for a Winegard antenna.
Enjoy Life!!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 7:26am
As a long term cord cutter, might I suggest using a mobile phone with a data plan instead? Most (not all) locations have mobile data service these days. Connect your phone to your TV with an HDMI adapter and cable. Leave that big expensive dish at home. Get a Netflix, HULU, or Amazon Prime streaming account and watch away. Or just watch stuff on YouTube for free.Thumbs Up. You might like it so much you drop your sat service entirely. I did, over 10 years ago, and I've never looked back.  

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by offgrid

As a long term cord cutter, might I suggest using a mobile phone with a data plan instead? Most (not all) locations have mobile data service these days.
I would argue that there are still huge areas with no cell service. Heck, we barely get cell service at all where we live. Many, if not most of the places we like to camp do not get cell service. 

We are also cord cutters, but we get most of our TV service over the air (DTV). No cable; no DSL where we live, so I guess you could say there was no cord to cut.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 9:28am
The mobile phone only works if one is in an area which has good cell service or a workable WiFi service. I've been at some RV parks which specifically state that WiFi is not to be used for streaming video. Unless one has an unlimited data plan with good cell service, that is not a viable option either. I've also been in areas where the cell service was either non-existent or marginal, neither of which allow for streaming. Satellite is expensive. Having a laptop with movies ripped from DVDs or a DVD/Blueray player is a less expensive way to go but does ot allow for live news or current shows. Most of the time, our TV stays off anyway. That is the absolutely least expensive option. Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>