R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOn the fly Winterization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the fly Winterization
    Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:17pm

I would like to hear from people in the west what they do about cold mountain nights, especially in shoulder season.  We will be heating the camper so inside stuff won't free, but stuff like the fresh water connection will freeze.  I assume if the water pump is off it won't be pressurized so freezing shouldn't really damage it??  I was thinking of insulating that hose to try and keep some of the heat from the tank.  Ideally it would only freeze if the rest of the tank freezes, which would probably take a lot more then a few cold nights.

As a matter of course I assume allowing my tanks to freeze won't cause much damage since not pressurized.  Same thing with the tank valves.  When I camp in the winter I use a small 2 gallon container next to the sink to wash dishes and stuff.  The water runs down the drain into the grey tank and I can't empty it until it warms up, but it hasn't caused any problems.  Driving with large chunks of ice in the tanks floating around might not be a good idea, but I am bad about dumping grey water wherever and I don't use the black water so I never have much in the tanks besides the fresh water.
texman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm
kevin
 i installed a recirulating water system to handle the freezing temps for the fresh water.  i leave some RV antifreeze mixed in the gray and black tanks to handle those.  If you are interested in what i did, look on my thread.

I think you will be fine just adding pipe insulation to the exposed water supply line as long as you aren't going to be sub freezing for very long and not dropping to the teens.  it will take a long time to freeze the tank water, but the as you said, the risk is at the supply line.  The pump is inside, so no worries there if you are heating the living space.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
 Post Reply Post Reply