Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbrewing pod coffee in a pod trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: brewing pod coffee in a pod trailer
    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:21pm
I'm considering a 'pod' coffee maker (keurig style K-cups) to use in my pod trailer.

Coffee Pod, anyone?

I have never used one, so if you have, and like it, and have had good luck with one of these things, let me know, please.

I found a lot of info on the net...but looking for first-hand picks and pans.

I'm learning that they aren't really environmentally friendly, even if you use it to brew green tea, it ain't really 'green'.

I figure I will do some pod coffee repentance and offset this with a few hours of carbon-neutral off-grid boondockery.

Geek

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:29pm
We grind coffee before we leave and take the grinder and use it with a small inverter when needed to always have freshly ground coffee.  Then we boil water in a pot and use it in a drip coffee maker with the little filters.  Tastes as good as at home.  Well really better because of the locations, but that's more fantasy than real.  

It even tastes better at dawn, while listening to this song:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS34TijiFiM  For those of you don't speak Spanish, it is about the little joys of life taht make it worth living, including the first sip of tinto (Colombian coffee) as the sun dawns.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Billy Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:37pm
I found a single k cup brewer for very little money compared to Kureg.  Use k cup pods or it also has a single serve basket that we can put fresh grounds into.  Small and doesn't take a lot of room.
2019 RPOD 190
2017 Chev Colorado 4 X 4
Yellow Lab and English Springer Spaniel
Richand Cindy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:47pm
We had a Keurig but found three major problems with them.  The coffee is never really hot, it is expensive basically buying coffee one cup at a time and we drink two cups each so making four cups takes time.  To save money we did purchase a reusable and refillable K cup and fill with our own coffee.  That eliminated one issue.   But we ended up dumping the Keurig and buying a cheap 12 cup Mr Coffee maker.  Now we can make a pot of coffee in the morning.  It is still not so hot (at home we bought a $120 coffee maker that makes a big difference if you are a real coffee lover.  When we are not hooked up to electric we use a stove top percolator.  If you do not mind waiting 20-30 minutes to brew a pot, it makes excellent coffee.
OLD 2017.5 RPOD 180 + 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
NEW: 2018 Passport Elite 23RB + 2017 Ram 1500 Diesel
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 4:33pm
I have one of these that I picked up at our local ReStore for a few dollars. It has the advantages of not needing expensive pods and being very compact. My wife does not drink coffee, so I only need one cup at a time anyway.

I also have one of these that I tried for its compact size. I don't use it because it is actually not very user friendly and the cost of the pods does add up.

This third one that I have taken and used is pretty good if one does not have shore power available. It is easy to clean up and brews a great cup of coffee since one can control the process quite well.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 5:34pm
I dont want me no regular ol' coffee maker, I wants me some coffee pods, and a POD coffee maker...

There's a difference ya know?

Tongue

Yeah its just me, and I only drink one cup of coffee a day, usually instant, or a cold Starbucks coffee, but they cost $3 or more...but they sure are good!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 5:57pm
you might want to consider a french press (Bodum, https://www.amazon.ca/Bodum-Brazil-French-1-Liter-34-Ounce/dp/B00430C92U/ref=sr_1_6?crid=DV92TTVZSUTV&keywords=french+press&qid=1555800975&s=gateway&sprefix=french+pre%2Caps%2C301&sr=8-6).  
It makes a fantastic cup of coffee and you can get a press that is only 1 cup if you want.  Very light weight, no extra power and compact.  Just boil water, stir it in and press the plunger - as easy as making tea!
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 6:03pm
We currently use a Coleman 'grill top' drip coffee maker. It sits on top of a stove burner after removing the grate. Typically, we load it the night before and fire up the propane stove in the morning, then get back into bed until the coffee is ready.

There are 2 problems with it. 

One, it is bulky and really not very sturdy. Between uses, I put it under the bed in our 171 to get it out of the way. I have made a little wood box that it sets in to protect it there from shifting junk that may knock off parts that stick out, like the lid. In fairness, no permanent damage has yet been done to it, I just think its so lightly built that it needs to be protected. 

Two, it is completely colored black. The base gets VERY hot and I have gotten a little too close to it accidentally a couple of times. After the second time, I painted the base with orange spray paint and this has since served to keep me out of trouble. Why they make it all black is beyond me.

I like it but She Who Must Be Obeyed wants a percolator to replace it. I am afraid it will be no better ..., but ok.  Ouch
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 6:43pm
I found a cheap 19.99 pod style coffee maker at walmart. I'm on year number 3 with it, I love it. The best part of this one is, You pour in as much water as you want to have. It brews all the water you put in, so normally I fill my mug to where I want it filled too, and viola. Its very compact, goes right under the cook top. Lasted longer than my first 89.00 dollar kurig. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 6:46am
+1 to Kup-Pod. I use a small french press. Makes excellent coffee, eliminates one more electrical thing to use energy, break, or require 120Vac to run. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>