Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntro! Excited to Join

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro! Excited to Join
    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:24am
Just found a gem of a Rpod 179 from a couple that is getting moved to Alaska so they need to sell. It’s nearly brand new!!!   We pick up Saturday. Have been looking at these but out of budget till now. Any advice for maiden voyage in two weeks? We live in NM so weather could be variable at this point. Our previous trailer was a popup. Heavy fishing and camping year around the last 5 years so we are not new to outdoors. Thanks!!
Andrea
2018 R pod 179
2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:57am
Being seasoned veterans to camping you probably have a good idea of what you already need.  However, when we purchased our 177 over 8 years ago we did a 'driveway campout' for a couple of days.  This allowed us to familiarize ourselves with all the things we never had before in our pop-ups, like stove, refer, hot water and to make sure we had all those little items easy to forget.  So we made a list of those items we got every time we went back in the house and wrote them down.  Our first 'shakedown trip' went w/o a hitch.  We had everything we needed, it was and still is a lot of fun.

Enjoy your new 179 as you travel this glorious country.  Hope those fish keep biting, better than the skeeters!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:01am
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your new Pod.  An advantage to buying a used Pod is that most of the manufacturing issues have long since been resolved, so you'll just have the normal ongoing maintenance.  For your first trip, if you don't have one already, it'd be wise to get a weight distribution hitch [referred to here as a WHD].  There are several on the market that work well and give you a much more stable ride.  The board is filled with helpful information in the archives, so do a little searching and you'll find some helpful discussions.  Be sure to expand the time frame in the search inquiry.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:52am
Welcome to R-pod ownership.  We also have a 179.  For a maiden voyage, I would like to suggest Chama.  The train doesn't start running until later in May but Heron Lake and El Vado should be open for fishing.  You could stay at them also but I don't know about hook ups or if you want them.  If you want hook-up try Rio Chama RV park.  I think they open on May 1.  The downside is you have to walk about 100 yards to fish on the river.
Enjoy Life!!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 9:06am
Congratulations and welcome! You should have an adequate tow vehicle if your Tacoma is a V6, especially if it has a factory tow package already. You will need a brake controller. I use the Hopkins InSIGHT Flex-mount brake controller. http://https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hopkins/HM47297.html
If your Toyota is like our Frontier, it should have the wiring harness so you would just need to get the proper wiring adapter as well. I agree that a WDH with sway control (Equal-i-zer, Fastway E2, Andersen No-Sway, or really over the top Hensley Cub) are some choices.
One note: To expand the time frame, you will need to use the advanced search function. You can also use Google or DuckDuckGo to search the forum. In the search box, enter:  keyword(s) site:http://www.rpod-owners.com
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 10:40am
Welcome Andrea!

I'm pretty new here myself; you'll find this forum really helpful. The first thing i did after the "maiden voyage" in my 172 was tear out the paneling in front of the storage under the dinette seats and add plastic storage bins.  First trip there was stuff everywhere, now not so much. It made a huge difference in livability.

Enjoy!
Julie
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:00pm
Welcome and enjoy your Pod.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:32pm
Do you have the NM State Park Pass?  That's the FIRST thing you need! 

Well maybe not the first, but it's somewhere in the top 10 if you like to camp in NM. Mine expires at the end of June. Unhappy
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 5:46pm
And be sure to get a federal geezer pass if you are old enough.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:40am
Originally posted by lostagain

And be sure to get a federal geezer pass if you are old enough.  
Formerly called the Golden Age Passport. Now called the "America the Beautiful Senior Pass". $80 will get you lifetime entrance to most national parks and 50% discount on camping in most of them as well.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>