R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnderstanding actual weights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding actual weights
    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 4:19pm
We are loaded for a 10 day trip-same load that we normally take.  We stopped by the local landfill and weighed the rig. Here is what we got:
weight of Tow vehicle with RPod attached(only 4 wheels of the tow  vehicle)=7340
weight of tv only without pod=6800
weight of tow vehicle and R Pod attached(all 4 wheels of tv and 2 wheels of Pod)=10820

I think this tells me that our tow vehicle weighs 6800, our tongue weight is 540 and the pod weight is 3480 on the axle. the actual Pod weight is 4020, but I subtracted the 540 tongue weight.

Is this correct???

Thanks for any insight
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:58pm
Seems like your numbers are correct...is that with, or without, a full freshwater tank?
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:57pm
we had 15 gal in the tank, 2 bikes on the rear(spare moved to the tongue), 2 6v golf cart batteries, food and clothes for 10 days.
I was happy with the weights-although it does appear to be maxxed out(overweight   by 252 lbs)  according to the mfg sticker on the door. The sticker says dry weight 2785 and max cargo weight of 983 for a total of 3768. I know the dry weight is always suspect(A/C, m/w, propane, etc) but the max weight is absolute regardless of what is in or on the pod.
I have goodyear endurance st215/75/r14 so the D load range is rated to 2200 lbs for single axle.
the tongue weight was 13.4%. I use a 4 point Equalizer hitch with our Expedition and the pod tows great.

Hope this helps someone else

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:21am
I think you have the correct numbers assuming you didn't have a your weight distribution hitch tensioned. That would throw your numbers off. 

On the trailer max gross weight spec, the DOT requires FR to state that as no higher than the axle max weight rating (3500 lbs) plus the lowest listed tongue weight (268 lbs). So, the fact that you have a higher tongue weight helps take that extra load off the trailer axle. Not that I'm saying its Ok from a legal perspective, just that its not as bad as it sounds from the technical point of view. 

You are right at the limit for that trailer axle. If that is before tensioning the wdh then you'll be well over 3500 lbs after that. I have the same trailer and the same issue, and I'd guess most folks with 179's/180's that boondock like we do aren't that different.

I would advise upgrading tires and possibly wheels if you haven't already. I also reinforced my axle, you can look at my thread on that topic. The tires are the biggest concern since they can have a catastrophic blowout failure. There isn't any evidence of axles failing dramatically, they just seem to lose their camber over time. 

You could also possibly move some of your gear into your tow vehicle if you have extra load capacity there. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:17am
Speaking of weight and balance, I recently got one of those cool little Sherline tongue scales.  I weighed the trailer with the normal collection of useless junk we keep in the storage under our forward bed and with our aft fresh water tank empty.  There was probably about 5 gallons in the gray water tank just forward of the axle.  I got a weight measurement of about 380 lbs.  Yesterday, before I drained the chlorine/water solution to sanitize the fresh water system, I checked the tongue weight to see what the difference would be.  It came out to about 50 lbs. less tongue weight.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply