R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar panel suitcase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar panel suitcase
    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 3:21pm
Like to boondock.  Do not like to run down my one 12 volt battery. .  So.....will a 'Renogy 100 Watt, 12 volt, 2 pcs 50 W Solar Panel suitcase with 20A Controller"...……….will this do the trick?  Clip it to my battery, that's it?  Anything else needed?  Just want to keep my battery charged up.  (keep things simple, do not use a lot of stuff when boondocking)  Thank you.  
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 3:33pm
That is exactly how I use mine. Only modification I made is to add a longer cable, so that I can keep the panels out in sun without me having to park the Pod in full sun (when there is shade available). Easy to keep my single 12 v battery at full charge. We dont get much cloudy weather out here in the west, though.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:48pm
That's all there is to it.  I also came up with a longer cord.  I don't babysit it, but I do turn it to follow the sun a few times a day if I can.  Of course how well this works depends on the sun.  Trees or clouds can have a big impact on how well it will work.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Jholler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:26pm
Someone on here had a trick, stick a suction cup dart on the panel and turn the panel until the dart has no shadow to get the most direct sunlight.
2015 rpod 179
2014 Ram ecoDiesel HFE
2009-ish Chihuahua
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:52pm
If you do, be sure to remove the dart...blocking even one cell in a panel can reduce the output of the entire panel.

It's easy to see the shadow behind the panel and set it up properly. In fact, once your batteries are fully charged and holding, you can relax your attendance a bit. 

It's a good idea after sunset to set up the panel for the morning sun, but if there is any chance of wind at night, be sure to secure the panel with a bungee or use a weight on the stand, whichever applies.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:55pm
You might want to seriously consider paralleling another 12 Volt battery. Or if you can sell the 12Vdc battery and buying two 6 Volt batteries and placing them is series to give you more amp hours since you plan on boondocking allot. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm
Don't leave something partially shading a solar cell in a PV module, unless you really don't like that module. Not only will it greatly reduce the whole module's output but what happens under partial cell shading is you can dump the whole output of the module through that one cell.  I can take any module you have and shade one of the cells in it just the right amount and in about 5 minutes melt the module encapsulant and maybe even the solder connecting the cells together. 

Its not that critical that you need to fiddle around pointing a solar module at the sun all day. The  best utility scale dual axis sun tracking systems that follow the sun perfectly gain you about 25-30% over just tilting your solar module south at your lattitude angle. Just bring a compass or a smarphone and put it in a place where you get sun all day facing south and don't worry about it. Enjoy camping instead!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply