R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Cold Does Fridge Get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Cold Does Fridge Get?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:38am

Here is a link to the pictures of the interior of the dometic fridge 'eyebrow', with the battery compartment and the header that I would assume the battery holder will plug into. Until I dig into it further, I wont know if the pins are marked for polarity.

(I dont know if this link will work)

Also, I performed a check on the current draw to the electronics of just the fridge when running on propane: 57 milliamps. Pretty low. I would assume that number will be even lower on 8 AA batteries, since the manual says the fridge goes into power saving mode when on these batteries.

There is no customer service number on the Dometic webpage that I could find, only an email form. If I get to the point where all my other mods are done and I want to persue this, I will make more efforts in that direction.  

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:30pm
Be careful about using just any battery holder for this. The way the picture is, it is possible that this is only supplying 6V to the refrigerator given that the polarity of the batteries on one side of the case are both positive toward one end and on the other side of the case, they are negative toward the same end.  You would really need to verify the voltage before you plug anything in.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Here is a link to the pictures of the interior of the dometic fridge 'eyebrow', with the battery compartment and the header that I would assume the battery holder will plug into. Until I dig into it further, I wont know if the pins are marked for polarity.

(I dont know if this link will work)

Also, I performed a check on the current draw to the electronics of just the fridge when running on propane: 57 milliamps. Pretty low. I would assume that number will be even lower on 8 AA batteries, since the manual says the fridge goes into power saving mode when on these batteries.

There is no customer service number on the Dometic webpage that I could find, only an email form. If I get to the point where all my other mods are done and I want to persue this, I will make more efforts in that direction.  

Well that clears up allot podwerkz, it does seem your refrigerator has battery backup for the control board, lucky you!
Just call them at:

Dometic Retail Customer Service

1-800-544-4881 Opt.2, Opt.2

You can order the battery holder direct and receive any additional instructions you may need.

Fred, the reason why you may want to have this battery backup to the control board is really simple. Lets suppose your hooked up to shore power and unbeknown to you the converter is dead. So you go on your happy way camping and the whole time all DC systems, such as the control board for your refrigerator, is slowly drawing down power from your camper battery. Until out of the blue and much to your surprise it drains so much power that the control board dies then guess what? Yep, no refrigerator, the gas will not ignite and all controls to it go dead. Unfortunately for me I found this out the hard way and even more unfortunate I found out that FR put in the bottom line Dometic refrigerator that doesn't even have the option for this control board. Luckily for me when it happened I also carry a dumb 6/12V battery charger so I was able to clip its leads onto the camper battery and all was good so we were able to continue our trip.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:51pm
Good point.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the number DavMar. I will call them soon.

One thing I thought of: Inside the lower fridge outside service vent, are the hookups for 12v electronic, and 12v heater. They are clearly marked.

I'm now referring to the 12v electronic supply, NOT the 12v heater supply.

I measured the 57 ma current at that point. I see there is ample room under there for a small deep cycle sealed lead acid battery. One could wire up a switch or connector to feed the control circuits with that small SLA battery, and install a small solar panel and controller to keep that battery charged. 

Hmmm....the 'wheels' are turning!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:09pm
Just as a note.. with dual T-105's installed we routinely went 10 days off grid, no battery switching or worries.The heater fan was the one and only thing that could shorten our stay without a recharge.

How long do you hope to stay off grid?  
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by DavMar

furpod, may I ask how do you even know IF his refrigerator control board has battery backup? Mine sure doesn't which I confirmed with Dometic and visually by me when I removing the board. This is why I "suggested" he called them with his model and serial number of his refrigerator to confirm if indeed has this back up. If it does then great he can order the part direct from Dometic. Also this board may just run on 5Vdc as allot of control boards do and not 12Vdc. Its best to check out first wouldn't you agree?

I was going by the fact that the OP stated he had leads and a connector for the battery box...
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by StephenH

You would really need to verify the voltage before you plug anything in.

Yes, trust me on this: I will NOT be randomly applying 6 or 12 volts to any of these pins on an expensive, brand new fridge.

These electronic gizmos always seem to work better if you dont let the magic smoke out. 

Geek
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:35am
Originally posted by podwerkz

Yes, trust me on this: I will NOT be randomly applying 6 or 12 volts to any of these pins on an expensive, brand new fridge.

These electronic gizmos always seem to work better if you dont let the magic smoke out. 

Geek
Ageed! Big smile
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:16am
Letting out the magic smoke in things electronic, Podwerkz, thanks for explanation.  Finally, someone has given me a description of electronics and their function that makes perfect sense.  I feel so much better about my constant refrain - go sacrifice a chicken when electronics are not working.  Maybe the smoke from the Webber filters into the electronic widget adding to the volume of magic smoke inside or replacing some that has escaped.  Now this is an example why this forum is so valuable to Pod owners.  Big smile
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>