R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Cold Does Fridge Get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Cold Does Fridge Get?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm
The reason why you bleed from the stove in a 180 is its the farthest gas operated appliance downstream from your LP tank. Think of propane as water or even in your analogy of brake fluid with bleeding brakes. Just turn on your stove and let it run for a bit and soon the air will be out of the whole system.

Mopeka makes a sensor that sits under and attached to the tank bottom by magnets that sends a signal threw the LP tank and then receives this signal. It then sends this information to your Bluetooth device (iPhone, ect.) and with their app it gives you a fairly accurate indication of your tank level.  

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:58pm
Hey Tom, saw where you found the correct setting for temp, so, moving to this topic since you said these are new to you:

In case you don't know this about absorption refrigerators, they have to be level to work well.

Make sure the pod is as level as you can get it during operation of the fridge while the pod is setup and on shore power for the fridge, or using LP while camped.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:32pm
+1 The refrigerator must be relatively level (+/- 3 degrees generally). From a Dometic manual:

"For optimal cooling performance, an absorption refrigerator must be level. If the refrigerator operates
in a noticeable out-of-level condition for several hours, loss of cooling performance will occur.
When RV is parked and absorption system is operating, the RV must be level enough to live in and
feel comfortable."

Also, Dometic states that altitude affects how the refrigerator performs. The recommendation is to run on electricity if above 5,000 ft.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:57pm
We routinely use ours at 7 -8,000 ft and it works great on gas.  Stuff in the freezer is as hard as my head.  Approve
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:20am
Just wanted to give a Shout Out to all the AWESOME members here who are so willing to help and not be condescending to us newbies to Travel Trailers and the working idiosyncrasy of them.

I was able to trouble shoot my problem and get everything working before my weekend getaway next week. I was able to get the propane purged and working. I ran it for about an hour or so last night and could see the temp was dropping. Not wanting to use up all my propane I switched back to shore power and checked it again this morning.

The average temp had dropped approx. 10 degrees. Freezer was about 28F and beer and cokes in fridge were 37-40*F

Turns out it was just a language problem. The newer units use the SNOWFLAKE SYMBOL so a larger SNOWFLAKE means colder.    

My unit has a THERMOMETER SYMBOL. So thinking the mercury in the thermometer gets smaller or lower as it gets colder and taller as it gets warmer.     At least that was my logic.   

Not so for the Fridge. I wonder if that is why they changed the symbol? I can't believe I am the only one who thought this way.

So all is good with the fridge. Thanks again for the lessons in ownership.

Going to Alabama Gulf State Park next Thursday - Sunday for my long weekend. The park is booked solid and I will actually have to change sites the last night in order to stay.   The Ms. and maybe step-son and poss. friend will be joining me hopefully Friday and Saturday.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:28am
Originally posted by TearlessTom

My unit has a THERMOMETER SYMBOL. So thinking the mercury in the thermometer gets smaller or lower as it gets colder and taller as it gets warmer.     At least that was my logic.   

Not so for the Fridge. I wonder if that is why they changed the symbol? I can't believe I am the only one who thought this way.

Dont feel bad, I had the same thoughts when I first got mine. I had to actually adjust it up and down, then go outside and watch the burner, to see which end of the scale was cold, and which end was COLDER, by the action of the burner. I'm like you, at first I thought that a lower bar meant a lower temp. 

Ooops, wrong! More bars, and higher bars, means COLDER. 

It's not as simple as it would seem with just rising bars like the bars for signal strength on a cell phone. 

You're not the only one who had to figure it out!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 1:30pm
I went through the same exercise. Ours has 1 to 5 bars. It was not clear to me when we started whether 1 bar (lower) is colder, or 5 bars (higher) is colder. I guess the display is meant to represent how much coldness is being dialed for. I think I like the snowflake display better. Bigger snowflakes means colder to me!
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:23pm
I wish someone could come up with a modification that you can add a back up battery to the frig control board. That way if you loose all power, converter and battery, you can still operate it on propane. More expensive models have this back up built in but not the one FR put into my Pod. Bummer!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
Yeah I had asked about the Dometic back-up battery board in another thread and no one said, yeah, it's a good idea, here is where you order one.

It seems to be a 'euro thing'.....

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:48pm
If your 12v system is so depleted of power that it can't power the control board on the fridge, you've probably got bigger problems than just losing the gas operation of the fridge.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>