R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Cold Does Fridge Get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Cold Does Fridge Get?
    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:31am
Tom, I taught English in Colombia for a year and often had to explain to my students that they had to drop the logical approach of putting the descriptive qualifier (adjective) after the name of the thing you are talking about [i.e. the car green] and do it backwards, since nearly everything in English is backwards.  For example, I can't count the times I've heard people say when it's too warm in a room that they want to "turn up the air."  What?! you want it hotter?  So your challenge with turning up/down, is perfectly understandable.

We camped last year at Lee's Ferry along the Colorado River and it was hotter than #%$@&*!, certainly over 100 and our fridge did fine keeping everything cold and frozen in the freezer while running on gas.  Since then, I've put in a couple extra pancake fans to keep the air moving in the area behind the fridge which should make it even more efficient.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:52am
Tom, Domestic has your frig owner manual on line or you can write there tech support for a link. Unfortunately be aware on your Pod if your converter ever dies which results in your battery dying your frig will be inoperable. Do to the fact that it does not have an internal rechargeable battery in its control board so once power is gone so is your refrigerator. I learned that the hard way sadly and finding out FR used the cheapest refrigerator Domestic builds (higher end models do have this battery in the control board). Also 24hrs before you go on a trip just place a couple frozen water bottles or ice in your frig to help it cool it down and make sure you bleed your gas system and make sure it will turn on.  
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:20am
There are a couple of things that are not mentioned. Is this a new RPod with a new refrigerator? If so, get your dealer to check it out under warranty.
Given that it is a 2017 model and it is 2019, did you purchase it used? If so, then there are a couple of things you can check.
First is that the door shuts tightly. These absorption refrigerators are more sensitive to air leaks.
Second is that if it is not cooling on propane, the burner and flue of the refrigerator may need to be cleaned. If they are clean, is your propane regulator providing adequate gas pressure? Regulators can go bad, especially if the quality of the propane allows for an oily liquid build-up in your regulator and propane lines. You may need to blow that out with some air pressure and then purge the system and try again. If you are not comfortable with doing this, you should have your RV Dealer's service department clean everything and check the gas flow/pressure.
Third, adding a second muffin fan in the outside compartment may help.
Last, running it empty is probably the worst way to test it. It does need contents to help stabilize the temperatures. Water bottles are okay and cheap.

I use a wireless sender from an indoor/outdoor thermometer placed inside the refrigerator to help me monitor what is going on in there without having to open the door more than necessary. That may help also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:23am
how do you bleed the propane system to get the air out.   Lighting the stove or is there another way for the fridge.

I plan on running to harbor freight my next day off to pick up a propane tank full / empty gauge and maybe a second tank.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:26am
Lighting the stove bleeds that branch of the system. Running the furnace will bleed that branch. Sometimes, you just need to run the refrigerator and when it does not light, keep trying and eventually that branch will also be purged and you will have gas flow to the refrigerator. It may take two or three cycles of trying to ignite before it will light and stay lit.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:50am
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure if they were a common branch or individual. Kind of like bleeding your brake system. Start with the furthest from the master cylinder 1st and work your way in.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 11:53am
Tom, the gauge you are proposing to buy doesn't measure how much propane you have in your tank.  It measures the pressure and that varies by temperature.  The gauge will typically have 3 reading marks based on what you perceive as the ambient temperature, but the needle is always positioned based on tank pressure.  So, you can show a full tank on a very hot day even though it is really half full.  

You might want to check out Costco.  When I was in our local Costco last week, they had a bunch of propane tanks that come with gauges for for about $25.  That's a pretty good deal.  

As for bleeding the air out of your gas lines, the lighting the stove usually works well, but the line to the water heater, furnace, and fridge may need a little help.  Turn on your hot water heater with the gas operation switch on the face of the galley cabinet or turn on your furnace.  They may try to light a couple times before firing up, but if they have gas, your fridge should too.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 12:44pm
The tanks with the gauges work, but they are also a relative reading. Full is pretty much so when you first get it filled. However, at the bottom of the gauge where you would think it would register empty, it is actually registering low. You may have a few hours or days worth of gas left depending on the temperature.

The are a few truly accurate ways to tell how much gas is in there. The cheapest is to heat some water. Pour that over the tank. Wait a few seconds and then feel the tank. You will feel a distinct change in temperature from the part of the tank above the liquid level (warmer) than the part at and below the liquid level (colder). You can also purchase electronic gauges that use a small scale on which the tank sits. It is measuring the weight of the tank and propane. Deduct the weight of the tank and you have the weight of the propane. It is easy to convert the weight of the propane to determine the level. One gallon of liquified propane weighs 4.23 pounds. The average 20 lb tank contains about 4.75 gallons when full.

If you have a luggage scale, you could take the tank out an weigh it, but that is quite inconvenient.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by StephenH

The tanks with the gauges work, but they are also a relative reading. Full is pretty much so when you first get it filled. However, at the bottom of the gauge where you would think it would register empty, it is actually registering low. You may have a few hours or days worth of gas left depending on the temperature.
The are a few truly accurate ways to tell how much gas is in there. The cheapest is to heat some water. Pour that over the tank. Wait a few seconds and then feel the tank. You will feel a distinct change in temperature from the part of the tank above the liquid level (warmer) than the part at and below the liquid level (colder). You can also purchase electronic gauges that use a small scale on which the tank sits. It is measuring the weight of the tank and propane. Deduct the weight of the tank and you have the weight of the propane. It is easy to convert the weight of the propane to determine the level. One gallon of liquified propane weighs 4.23 pounds. The average 20 lb tank contains about 4.75 gallons when full.
If you have a luggage scale, you could take the tank out an weigh it, but that is quite inconvenient.

Interesting technique. I wouldn't have thought of that. I have always weighted or felt of. But with the above in mind couldn't you use a laser thermometer to read the level . That way you wouldn't have to use your gas to heat the water in addition by using the gas you are moving the molecules in the tank which will make it colder and would effect your cold hot reading.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:46pm
I think the hot water method described by StephenH is only approximate.  It gives you an idea if you are about half full, maybe a quarter, or really getting low.  But with the rate you use propane, that's plenty accurate.  It's best if you are going to be out for a while in your Pod to carry a spare tank anyway, so knowing how much is in the tank exactly isn't at all that critical.  You just don't want to go through the hassle if disconnecting the tank, unfastening it from the holder, then find that it's half full.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>