R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow Cold Does Fridge Get?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Cold Does Fridge Get?
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:29pm
Being new to the whole camper thing and to be honest I didn't even know a propane / electric refrigerator was a real thing.

I have read some post that  say the fridge needs to be turned on a few days in advance. 

I have left my Pod connected to my 110 house current for a couple of weeks now since my first test weekend.   The fridge is cool enough I think to keep food but the freezer is not  frozen by any means.

Is this normal.? 

Does the freezer actually freeze on 30 amp service? 
 or on Propane?
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:39pm
It should get cold enough on 120Vac or propane to freeze in the freezer section particularly this time of yeat. On 12V maybe not.  You can try adjusting the temp colder and see if that helps. Or switch it to propane and see if that changes the temp by the next day. It doesn't take several days for an RV fridge to get cold unless you fill it with warm liquids and expect it to be able to cool all that down at once. Best is to pre-cool drinks in your home fridge before putting them in. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Jholler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:52pm
Put a couple of water bottles in there. Thermal mass helps.
2015 rpod 179
2014 Ram ecoDiesel HFE
2009-ish Chihuahua
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:06pm
I have  several cokes in the door and had some frozen  foods in the freezer compartment.  The drinks are cold enough but the frozen section items are cold but not frozen.

I did find a push button on the inside rear wall that I pushed but have no idea what it does. Anyone out their know?

I also turned on the propane and will recheck it tomorrow night when I get in.

Anyone know what the push button switch does on the inner back wall.  I was looking for the reset switch as their is a sticker on the door in German about reset switch but the picture looks nothing like anything I can find on fridge.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:10pm
Other people on this forum know a lot more than I do about refers.

First, put a thermometer inside and see what the actual temperature reading is. 24 hours is more than enuf time, except maybe on hot summer days, to get to working temperatures. Then if it is not at least about 40 degrees, adjust the temperature setting down and see if the refer temperature reacts. If it doesn't improve, I'm afraid you've got a problem. The technology in travel trailer refers is not the same as in our home refers and in my experience it is, unfortunately, sometimes very temperamental (spider webs, wasps nest, ?phase of the moon?). 
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:24pm
The refer should be able to keep things frozen for quite a long time.  In our 8+ years of owning our 177 we have had frozen meat (pre-frozen when put in freezer) stay frozen for 4 days with no sign of thawing out.  The only reason we haven't done longer is that we eat a lot of meat and that is the longest we can go w/o shopping and purchasing more.  Another possibility is that maybe the two muffin fans on the rear side of your refer are not working.  We had this problem years ago when we noticed the refer was not very cold.  My brother, an electrical engineer, and RV expert in these matters isolated our problems within 5 minutes.  Problem was the di-electric switch was located way too low on the coils, by repositioning it near the top, pretty close to the exhaust pipe for the propane, the fans turned on almost immediately.  I told my brother, "I never heard that sound before."  He only laughed and told me he had seen this same thing on many other refers. 

We precool only 1 day in advance before heading out, this is plenty of time for the refer to cool down, especially if you put in a few frozen items like an ice block or something similar during the process.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:46pm
If you have manually turned the temperature down as far as possible and still not cold enough there is another option--try adjusting your thermister.  Look it up in the search function or google.  It is a small module in the interior of the fridge, at the back and probably up high on the fins.  there is a bulb on the lower end and a wire coming from the top. It is held onto the fins by a clip.  Try gently moving the thermister up higher on the fin and this will also change the temperature.
the freezer will definitely get cold enough to keep pre-frozen items frozen. We have used the freezer for ice cream and meats without defrosting. I would not expect it to freeze items that were not already frozen.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 8:59pm
Tom, did you adjust the temperature control to the coldest setting?  Look in your owner's manual to see how to do it on your particular model.  If you don't have an owner's manual, you can get one from the internet by going to the Dometic web site.  

Your freezer should freeze stuff if the temperature is set to the coldest or near coldest settings.  On our fridge, there is a little bar graph on the control panel above the door where you adjust the cold setting.  There are buttons at the coldest and warmest ends of the lighted bar graph to raise or lower the temperature.  

If you are running it on 110 ac you should be able to get it cold enough to freeze unless you are in extraordinarily hot weather.  If it isn't freezing, then there may be an issue with the unit that you will want to have a refrigeration tech look at.  You should have about 40℉ in the fridge, and about 0℉ in the freezer.  Check with a thermometer.  

You may also want to fire up the gas system in the fridge.  If  you haven't used your propane system in a while,  you may need to bleed the air out.  Just light the stove until you can sustain a flame then turn it off.  Then turn on the fridge and choose gas operation on the control panel.  It may give you an error a couple times if there is air in the line, but once it lights, then leave it over night and check the temperatures in your fridge and freezer.  If it's still not cold, then you may have an issue in the burner unit that you'll need to have a tech look at.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:55am
I don't have an owners manual as I bought the Pod used. I checked the temp with a lazar type thermometer and both and read about 40F degrees.

I think I may have found the problem (maybe) I did go to Domestic's website but couldn't find a model that looked like mine and I don't have the model # available. (at work) but I did read about the warmer/colder = smaller / larger thermometer icon.   I was reading it backwards so I actually had it set on the warmest setting not the coldest so about 40F should be about right for the warmest.

I've always had problems with thermostat directions. I think it stems back to one of the ex's who was Mexican and as we know Spanish speaking people do not put their words in the same order as English speaking people.   She was always telling me to "Turn the Chill down" I could never under stand if she wanted it colder or warmer.

Anyway. I will recheck the temp when I get home tonight and change the setting on the thermostat.

Also I could never get the propane to turn on last night. It may still be air in the lines or it may be my bottle of propane is empty. I will refill and try again.

Thanks for the help.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:05am
We had one camping trip where the the OAT was around 97° or 98° F. We had some breakfast sausage we had put in the freezer (unfrozen) when we left home. It took all of a day (and maybe a bit more) to freeze that sausage. It works, but is not the coldest fridge in the world. Our home freezer will freeze a package of sausage in an hour or two. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>