Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane Grill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane Grill
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:09am
I have a Coleman propane grill that uses a one pound bottle that screws into the pressure regulator that is piped to the burners.  I found a propane hose with a fitting that attaches to the regulator on the grill.  The other end has a fitting that screws into the valve on a large propane bottle.  Is the pressure in the larger bottle too much for the Coleman regulator ?
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:19am
Somebody may correct me but you can not go from a Coleman propane grill that already has a regulator and through the regulator on your Pod 20lbs (or what ever size) gas tank to the grill. If your saying that you go straight out of your gas tank outlet valve that is on your Pod and into your grill and thus your only using one regulator and it should work. 
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:31am
That set-up will work well, IF the grill has a regulator built-in. I use a similar attachment for mine.

The little one pound bottles and the 20# tanks are both high-pressure propane, so those appliances and fittings are all compatible. 

If you have a low pressure appliance (such as a Wave 3 heater) you want to run from the stand-alone tank or bottle, then you DO need a seperate on-tank regulator.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:24pm
You can also fill your 1 lb. propane bottles from the 5 gal. propane tank with this handy device:  https://www.amazon.com/DozyAnt-Regulator-Propane-Adapter-Cylinder/dp/B00VVNGW5C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=25M6Q2GBY9JM6&keywords=propane+refill+adapter&qid=1554398619&s=gateway&sprefix=propane+%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
I use one all the time to fill the 1 lb. bottles.  Works fine.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:45pm
Do you guys who use a little camping grill that refill and/or use a 20 lb propane cylinder find the cost savings worth the effort? I got a little coleman grill last year and was concerned that I would run through a lot of the little cans but I camped for 8 weeks, maybe grilling 20 or so times, and only used a couple of the little cans up. Not nearly as big a deal as I orignally expected. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 10:33am
I have used camping stoves on 1# bottles, 4# tanks, 11# tanks, and 20# tanks...but in my comm trailer I use a 20# tank with a propane 'tree' to feed a Northstar propane lantern and also supply the camping stove. Since there is limited room where the stove is mounted, the 1# bottle would not fit on the fold out 'table' where the stove is. This is done mainly during winter camping and remote radio events during cold weather.

When I'm all done for the evening, I simply turn the knob on the 20# tank and it's safe to exit with no worries. 

But, if I'm cooking with the camping stove on a large outdoor picnic table in warmer weather, I generally use the 1# bottles...its a lot easier.
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Do you guys who use a little camping grill that refill and/or use a 20 lb propane cylinder find the cost savings worth the effort? I got a little coleman grill last year and was concerned that I would run through a lot of the little cans but I camped for 8 weeks, maybe grilling 20 or so times, and only used a couple of the little cans up. Not nearly as big a deal as I orignally expected. 

a 1lb bottle costs $3.99 here at walmart.
Refilling a 20 pounder from empty, at the local feed store costs about $14, and unlike an exchange tank, they actually fill the tank.

so $80 for 20 pounds.. or $14.. was an easy decision for me.

We were going through 5-6 of the 1 pounders a season, if not more. We often cook for several people, we have a griddle that also came ready to use them. In the first season, we saved enough to justify the cost of converting to low pressure and buying a 20 foot hose.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 1:49am
Furpod, if I could buy propane as cheap as you can and used as much grilling as you do I'd make the same decision. As it is I don't use very much and the price of a cylinder swap is pretty high here so the convenience of just setting the grill on the picnic table and turning it on outweighs the cost saving for me. There is one place within an hour of me that will refill my cylinders and they charge....exactly the same price as the 4 or 5 places I can swap Thumbs Down
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:15pm
Dang, Offgrid, you must live in the middle of no-where'sville! Wink

I don't live in a big town but there is at least four places I can get my tanks filled. One of them has special's come summer season once a month where you can fill for $5! Another place will fill my tanks for all of $8 so needless to say I avoid cylinder exchanges.

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:24pm
TSC, Southern States, the local gas company, most feed stores, including the one in my little one horse town... here, it's not hard to find a place that fills and charges by weight.. I like very much that I can take a half full tank over and get it topped off for $6-7... We never leave home without all tanks topped off. No matter if we only use a couple pounds, or empty all three tanks, I just pop by and get them filled when I get a chance..

While I don't use TSC very often, it's in town, 20 miles or so.. I have if I was going to be going by it.. currently $2.79 a gallon. But I am at the feed store almost weekly.. so.. they are +/- a nickle or so on price with TSC.. I can, and do, live just fine with that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>