R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsolar???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: solar???
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:49pm
Another option would be a transcend mini CPAP with a battery pack and foldable solar charger available on secondwindcpap.
2015 rpod 179
2014 Ram ecoDiesel HFE
2009-ish Chihuahua
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 1:30pm
You guys are so great; I feel really lucky to have such a source of information (with very patient delivery).  :)
Julie
Ginch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:36am
Does not need to be $$Zamp$$$ I have a $20 10 watt solar I plug in and being conservative with lights we’ve boondocked over a week and kept a charge.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:58am
Certainly you don't need to buy any particular brand. 

But, it is good to be realisitic about what can be run from a small solar module. A 10 watt module will only produce about 0.5 amp under full sun conditions, or about 2-3 amphours a day on a good day. That likely won't even maintain an rPod's battery supplying the typical parasitic loads in the trailer over the long term. 

OTOH, if you start out with a fully charged battery and are conservative you can go many days without needing to recharge at all, in which case having a charging source while boondocking might be uneccesary. 

It depends on what you want to be able to run in your trailer,the led lights are usually the smallest load. The furnace, fantastic fan, TV, etc are much more significant. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:00am
I've never used a CPAP so don't know much about them.  What I do know, which comes from fixing a polarity problem in a friends, is that he has a CPAP machine that runs on 12vdc and plugs into a standard 12 "cigarette" lighter plug.  It has a little transformer to run on 120vac.  He uses it without problem in his RV (sadly not a Pod) all the time.  He has 2 6v golf cart batteries that power the RV.  One thing I discovered when I was trying to fix it was that it doesn't like to run when the generator is turned on.  There was too much electric noise for the sensitive electronics.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:09pm
I have a Resmed Airsense and I purchased a 12 volt power supply for it and installed a 12 volt power outlet next to our bed.  If I run it without the vaporizer it doesn’t use that much power.

You might consider upgrading to two batteries; either Lithium or 6 Volt Golf Cart.  The second one will fit on the tongue.  You’ll probably have to replace your current battery as they have to be the same type and age.  Depending on your other power use, they would power the CPAP for the weekend

Beyond that, you could plug in a portable 100 Watt solar panel with integrated controller to your Zamp connector.  You will need a polarity reverser at the Zamp connector and MC4 connectors/adapters (some minor wiring required to install MC4 connectors).  

I can be more specific but I don’t want to get all techno weenie.  LOL

2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
Jholler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 8:45am
That's a good point, if you have a heated humidifier your CPAP will draw a LOT more power than running without the humidifier.
2015 rpod 179
2014 Ram ecoDiesel HFE
2009-ish Chihuahua
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12