R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-Winterizing
    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 10:08am
Originally posted by lostagain

Dave, just bring lots of bananas for those leg cramps, and remember to sacrifice a chicken on the Webber regularly.  The poltergeists especially like beer can chicken with a nice rub.  

Fred, answer me this if the poltergeist get sick from eating my beer can chicken because they get aluminum poisoning from the can or sick from the cheap beer does this mean I will be forever haunted by the ghost of lawyers past? LOL

Oh well lets just fret ourselves silly over to drink from a water from the tank or not? Me, since I have a aversion to microbial poltergeist swimming in my water tank just hand me another cheap brewski! Tongue

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 12:17pm
Short answer, YES!

But not to worry, you can buy really cool stainless steel beer can chicken racks on Amazon such as https://www.amazon.com/Cave-Tools-Beer-Chicken-Roaster/dp/B01IRDA9D4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=beer+can+chicken+rack+stainless+steel&qid=1554397485&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 and they don't present the brain killing aluminum issue nor will you be hounded by bogus lawsuits for all eternity by the law firm of Dewy, Cheatham, and Howe [thanks Click and Clack].

But the chicken better be tasty, or that can be risky too.  Poltergeists and old senile lawyers, such as your's truly, can be real finicky about the chicken.  Ermm

And as for drinking water, I try to do as the locals do, but that doesn't always work so well.  I ended up with the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers, which 80% of people in developing countries have and now I can't get rid of it.  What the heck, the water looked ok when it was in the glass.  Dead

I learned the hard way in México DF not to eat in good restaurants.  I followed the advice of some of my colleagues and did so, promptly coming down with a case of Montezuma's revenge.  But, I got rid of it quickly by going to a nearby street taco stand and ordering some wonderfully delicious tacos of carne asada and al pastor.  The next day I was back to normal.  A word of caution, though, always look for street taco stands that are busy.  Big smile

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:09pm
While travelling in developing countries I follow these rules, no matter where I was eating:

No ice or any food that touches ice
Water from sealed bottles only
No uncooked vegetables unless I washed them myself using bottled water
No fresh fruit unless peeled by me
Meat well done (or very well done in Francophone countries)
Brush teeth using bottled water (or beer if need be)
Keep mouth closed while showering
And if the street taco stand guy coughs in his hand and then fills your taco don't eat that either Embarrassed

Once I started that regimen I never again got sick, and that incudes trips to some really challenging places in West Africa. I decided I'd rather live through the experience even if it was slightly inconvenient or I missed out on a potential culinary delight. Dead

In the rPod I follow the same rules except for the meat and ice since I know where those came from. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:25pm
It seems to me you are risk averse.  

Even in finest restaurants in the world, you can't be certain what goes on in the kitchen, where Typhoid Mary is the chef.  

I traveled in mostly European and Lat.Am. countries and in many, you can be a little less vigilant.  In México, for example, just be sure to drown those delicious street vendor tacos in lime juice and hot sauce and you'll be fine.  For me, I usually get sick a couple weeks after trying to adjust to the food and water here.  When I go to Colombia I'm fine.  In most places I drink the water from the tap, eat the local fruit and vegies, etc.  It's when I'm trying to readjust to here that I get JoeBob's revenge.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 2:51pm
Anything really fun involves some risk taking. 

I'm happy to be a bit risk averse when it comes to what I eat and drink. I'm not a gourmet, if its wholesome and savory I'll eat it and then happily eat the same thing again the next day. 

I'll save up my risk taking for flying around in the clouds in little airplanes and other things that are really fun for me. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 3:12pm

You are absolutely right, Texman.  That's just one more risk we have to take.  And that plastic leaches into the water and we drink that stuff.  It isn't good for us.  Personally, I'd use glass jars to carry my water, but they're way too heavy and break easily posing a laceration risk, as well as making a big mess.  

Dang, sometimes I get the impression that someone is trying to kill me.  Shocked 
Worst part is, you may not know who they is. Ouch

We have been carrying stainless water bottles for some time. Way lighter than glass, and they won't leach like any plastic.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 4:32pm
I know who it is.  Wacko  Everyone, not to mention Mother Nature.

At my age, it's too late to worry much about the risk of all those dangerous chemicals they put in most plastic food and water containers.  I've already been hopelessly poisoned.  So I'll just spend that money for the SS containers on intoxicants, that will also kill me.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 5:48pm

I know who it is.  Wacko  Everyone, not to mention Mother Nature.
At my age, it's too late to worry much about the risk of all those dangerous chemicals they put in most plastic food and water containers.  I've already been hopelessly poisoned.  So I'll just spend that money for the SS containers on intoxicants, that will also kill me.

Haven’t you learned by now its better living through chemicals! I’m hoping that my many years of ingesting polymer compounds have more or less embalmed my body and ensured for me a long life!

I also do a mean beer can chicken that even Typhoid Mary would be proud of but the trouble is getting up the nerve to sacrifice a good beer into the chicken gut and not mine! Tongue

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 6:00pm
When I BBQ chicken, I use a little of the Weber Beer Can Chicken seasoning:

And to zing it up a bit, I use a little bit of this:

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 7:17pm
Dave, Don't look at it as wasting a can of beer on a chicken.  You will still get a lot of it when you eat the nice tender moist chicken.  And a second or third still in the bottle will go nicely as an accompaniment.  

As for the plastic resins, plasticizers, polymers and such, I already am starting to feel like a Gunther von Hagens Body Works exhibit as it is.  

I have to confess, I've only made rubs from internet recipes.  I'll have to try some of the Webber.  Our biggest problem is getting the chicken to sit upright in the Smokey Joe and keeping it burning hot enough for long enough.  With the full size Webber, it's a breeze, but I don't want to lug that thing along on a trip.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>