R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBed Making in 171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bed Making in 171
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:13am
I have a Travasak which is like 2 queen size sleeping bags (one on top, one on bottom) zipped together with sheets velcroed inside (but I think someone else has already explained that).  I got it at a closeout store.  I think Travasak has gone out of business - no wonder -- their prices were outrageous, but I got mine at a bargain. 

But first, I did put a 3" memory foam pad (green tea scented from Overstock.com -- has no obnoxious odor like other pads) on the mattress, then a fitted bottom sheet with garters to hold in place to cover the foam and the mattress.  The Travasak lays on top just like a sleeping bag.  Just like techntrek posted above, I also have the bed made in 10 seconds flat.  No more struggling.

If I didn't have the Travasak, I would use a fitted sheet on the mattress to keep the foam pad covered and the mattress clean, and then on top of all that I would have used 2 sleeping bags zipped together so I wouldn't have to make the bed. (You can also use sheets inside if you prefer.  The top and bottom sheets inside the travasak are flat sheets and they are sewn together at the FOOT.  Fold the sheets at the sewn seam so one is on top and one is on the bottom, then slip inside the sleeping bag by pushing the seam down to the foot of the bag  - the sides of the sheet are open or velcroed to the bag).  The convenience and ease of making the bed this way is unbelievable.  And it's easy to pull the sheets out to wash them.  It wouldn't be hard to make your own Travasak at all.

However, if you want to spend the bucks and the convenience is worth it to you (or if you just want to SEE how it works), follow this link to the RV Superbag which has replaced Travasak:

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:43am
OK, yall let me know if you come visiting. As I said, a coverlet covers many unmade beds.Big smile
Too much work, I have sheets clean smelling, 2 flats spread out and covered with a pretty coverlet. SinceI am telling, Everyone knows, Embarrassedbut otherwise, no one knows that everything is not fitted. I move around a bit, but this is much better than sleeping on the ground, I don't complain if I have some gathering around me in the bed. Dog loves to get it "just right" anyway and that means a bit of messing it up!  Guess what? I feel like I am camping, not having to make up the bed like at home. Even here I have a coverlet that covers all that fitted stuff.

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 11:57am
This year, I put a 2 1/2" memory foam topper on our 171's bed (I had to cut down the length a couple of inches so that it would fit correctly).  I put the fitted sheet just on the topper.  The flat sheet, I just casually flick/drape on top, followed by an unzipped sleeping bag (a good quality one in matching colour to the R-POD's interior) used as a comforter.

Its neat enough.  We're camping afterall, not staying at the Hilton.  No need for hospital corners.

-edit-

I should probably mention that I attached a heated mattress pad to the memory foam topper (small safety pins on the underside of the topper) which is very nice on cool nights.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 1:17pm
Outbound,

I like the simplicity of your setup, and thanks for the reminder that we ARE camping.  I was just lucky to find my Travasak, and maybe I did complicate things with such a detailed explanation. 

That's me - always making things more complicated than they really need to be!  LOL 
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:52pm
Hod-PODge. Being my age, I have pitched a lot of things, 'specially anything that is going to keep me from doing something I WANTClap I like clean sheets, clean hair and feet in my bed.
And the sack you are speaking of was expensive, not needed for much of anything else (I guess it could have been used while tent camping, but I had plenty of great sleeping bags). Unless I am camping in the Fall with iffy weather, I don't like flannel at all.  Rather be cold than hot.

AND if the hubby was along , the sheets would be his responsibility, since he would not tolorate untucked ones(Marine Corps training). Ying Yang

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:58pm
LOL LOL
2011 Mercedes ML350

blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 2:53pm
SmileSince this last posting, I forgot to mention that Bed Bath &Beyond sells a bed-bag for around $20.
Give it a try!

Blissful

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 4:43pm
That's a great price!  Thanks for the info.
2011 Mercedes ML350

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 7:44pm
I looked into Bed, Bath and Beyond and found a "sleeping bag". It was near $30, but might not be the same thing you are saw.

Back from Texas, reached 104 some days. Sure glad to be home, but concerned for the children.
Since I do not plan to go camping until the July 4th craze is over, I have a list that keeps getting longer to can get done before I feel I can leaveCry Still do not know where I am going.
I think Elkmont in the Park, but would like to have hookups. I can not afford a generator in order to have a fan going (not even asking for ac). Gets really sticky early in the night.

Since nothing was done to my garden while I was gone (and lucky us, we did have a lot of rain)I am busy weeding and taming the plants that are taking over.Star Have a sick friend and need to make some freezer meals for her before I even think of going.

My daughter says I am going to have to do better than making first trip of the year in July.  She has that right!

Hope everyone is getting out and camping.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:50pm
To make the bed, Chris and I folded the mattress in half and man-and woman handled it out onto the driveway. Chris then put a fitted sheet on the mattress over two mattress pads (fluffy ones) and flipped it over. She then pinned two lengths of 3/4 inch elastic across the width and one down the length of the sheet. It actually stayed together as we folded it back in half and managed to get it back into the bed space. We had removed the mattress so I could put hinges on the plywood cover of the large bed support cover.   As we don't sleep under a Lot of covers in the summer, the top sheet can be tucked in or not. As an under support we use two re-imagined Thermarest mattresses from our camping on the ground days.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>