FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWe're expecting! a 195 on the way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: We're expecting! a 195 on the way
    Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:43pm
Hi all; 
 New to the forum, My kids are grown and the hubby and I are downsizing from a 5th wheel to the rpod. We just happened to be looking at the same time the orders for 195's are going in. Our rationale for buying that one, is my husband is 6'4...His feet need to hang off the end of any bed we are in. ok, ok we just like the overall design, and the storage in this one is incredible.
But honestly I was really looking forward to an r-dome....sadly not an option on this model.
we will be towing with a Honda Ridgleline. 

if you don't like my dog on the couch, you can show yourself out.

soon to be 2020 rpod 195
2007 dodge 2500 cummings diesel

crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 10:04pm
Congratulations!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
k-countrycamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 10:11pm
thanks!!!Smile

soon to be 2020 rpod 195

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:59am
Welcome!

I don't want to be a party pooper but I'd urge some caution on your trailer vs tow vehicle selection.  The 195 is a really large r-pod and the Ridgeline is a relatively light tow vehicle. The weight specs on the 195 aren't out yet but you can be sure its going to end up heavier than any of the other rpods.  And once you've loaded it it will almost certainly be a lot heaver than the unloaded vehicle weight would lead you to believe. 

Have you checked all your towing specs for your Ridgeline? There's more to it than just the tow rating, you need to look at tongue weight, max gross combined vehicle weight rating (including the weight of what you're going to be carrying in the Ridgeline), weight distribution hitch capability (you'll most likely want one for that rig), and trailer max frontal area limits (if there are any).  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:16am
Thanks for your reply, we currently have a dodge 2500, we were going to go down to a 1/2 tonne but we were also looking for something fuel economical as it is his daily driver. 

Weight (dry) on the 195 is 3400. then plan on 250 for water, 200 for cargo. we don't know tongue weight yet.

tow capacity for the ridgeline is 5000, he is planning on putting airbags in the back suspension, definitely have sway bars. tongue weight capacity is 500lb. i can't see the 195 being more than 350 tongue weight but the specs aren't out yet on that.

Is this still a concern?  I appreciate any input!

soon to be 2020 rpod 195

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:34am
Water is 300 lbs, the dry weight doesn't include the 6 gallons that sits in the water heater. The empty weight on rPods doesn't include any options, so if you have roof air add 100 lbs, 50 for a microwave. No battery either so add 50-60 lbs for that or 130 if you boondock and go to dual batteries. Add 40 lbs for a second propane cylinder. 

My 179 which is supposed to weigh 2750 empty and 292 on the tongue comes in at 550 on the tongue and 3700 lbs total. That's with water, dual batteries, and a single propane cylinder, maybe a couple of hundred pounds of gear. Travel trailer tongue and empty weights are very misleading. And so are tow vehicle specs, usually the trailer towing capacity assumes there is just one skinny driver and nothing else in the tow vehicle. 

I tow my 179 with a Highlander, a similar spec vehicle to the Ridgeline, and I wouldn't tow in the mountains with anything lighter. And the "empty weight" of the 179 is about 650 lbs less than the 195. 

I  highly suggest you keep your Dodge until after you get your 195, fully equip it, and actually weigh it and its tongue. Take it on a couple of trips. Then decide what you're going to be comfortable with towing it with.  

Just my $0.02. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 9:51am
Offgrid you comments make complete sense. I hadn't thought of the base model without options.  We are getting AC and convection micro etc.  We are not in a huge hurry to trade out the dodge, so I think you are right, maybe we should do a few trips and weigh the sucker fully loaded. 
while most of my trips will only be 35 min to 1.5 hr away, I do live next to the rockies, and I would love to take the trailer to Jasper and into BC so we will definitely be crossing high mountain paths.

If you have any other tips and tricks please share!

soon to be 2020 rpod 195

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 10:16am
k - welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your new pod.

We live on the east side of the Sierras and are also only a short drive from wonderful camping spots, but I have to say, I am glad our Dakota is well matched to the weight we are pulling.  Heading up some some of the passes in the Sierra is a challenge and if the TV wasn't really up to it, you'd be frustrated quickly.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:09am
If you really want to fully understand what you have, take a look at this calculator. When you get your new trailer,  load it and your TV.  You can then run through a public scale and add an axle at a time, then subtract to get the load on each. Then drop the trailer and run the TV through one axle at a time and you can get both the axle weights of the TV and the tongue weight by subtracting the TV axles total weight with and without the trailer. If you have any questions feel free to either PM me or ask on the forum. 

Plug all this in the calculator and it will tell you how you're doing against your specs, and also what a weight distribution hitch could do for you. With the Dodge I don't imagine you'll need one, but if you go to a lighter TV you probably will.  

One other unanswered question about the 195 is what axle FR is going to be putting on it. The 3500 lb axles on the other rPods and the tires and wheels being used are a bit on the light side so have had some issues on the heavier pods. This gets worse with a weight distribution setup because that redistributes some weight from the hitch to the trailer axle as well as to the TV front axle. Hopefully this new even heavier pod will have a heavier axle, tires and wheels. If not you can as a minimum upgrade your tires to a higher load rating. 

Have fun with your new trailer!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 11:10am
Is the Ridgeline FWD or AWD? Towing ratings are lower for the FWD. 

The 195 is also a bit wider, so towing mirrors might be needed for the Ridgeline, and the frontal area will be increased, along with the A/C unit up top and the awning which add both weight and wind drag. Not to mention all the storage space, the big pantry, and the big fridge that you will probaby fill up quickly. 

Then add dual propane tanks, dual batteries, and maybe a generator and gas for that in the tow vehicle, and you will have a big load on the Ridgeline. I'm guessing full curb weight will be right around 4500 when its all said and done, putting the tongue weight around 500.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>